Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Upgraded to Windows 10, massive dropped buffers

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and now I have intermittent massive clusters of dropped buffers. I had it running pretty much flawlessly in Windows 8.1 and I thought I had done all the standard tweaks. I have "Force Single CPU", "Force CPU Blocking" and "Force Realtime Priority Class" checked. Apparently Windows 10 is doing some massive polling operation eery once in a while or trying to call home. Any further suggestions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgraded to Windows 10, massive dropped buffers

Hello,

This does not sound like a clean install - is this correct?

Often, you may have to RE&RE your device drivers to get things to work properly.

What of a clean install?

You may also find there are better drivers available than those built in to Windows.

I reinstalled SAC and reinstalled the RME RayDAT drivers. It is much better now, but there are still a few dropped buffers. I believe I have the latest Intel drivers for the onboard graphics card. I am assuming there are one or more services somewhere hogging the CPU from time to time. Any further suggestions?

5. Default Re: Upgraded to Windows 10, massive dropped buffers

I always refer to the Black Viper guides.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/

I'm still getting a few dropped buffers every ten minutes or so. I can't figure out what process is doing it. I am currently running at 64/2 buffers on an RME RayDAT card.

Try turning off the CPU speed stepping option in the bios... also turn off Hyperthreading... and consider trying setting the bios to use only one cpu core... this reacts differently than using the single cpu option in SAC itself... it may solve the issue.

Also... if using the multiple cores, then try using the CPU blocking option... this should only be used when there is more than one core.

Bob L

I thought I had those turned off, but I will go back and check. Thanks. I have a Gigabit MB. I will have to find the manul and see what it call those in the BIOS.

Hyperthreading was still turned on. I turned it off. I am still getting about 3 dropped buffers every ten minutes or so. I think Windows 10 has some process that is polling or trying to call home regularly. I am trying to catch it with process monitor, but it seems to only happen when I am not watching the graph go by. Maybe it won't make a difference, but we are recording audio for a TV show on Wednesday and I hope the audio will sync to the video. Do dropped buffers result in shorter files (in SAW) or will the files still match up to the video?

Dropped buffers are lost data samples and yes... files will be short. You do not want dropped buffers if recording... if you can... use a longer latency to keep from dropping buffers.

You can still be useful at 2 x 128 or even 4 x 128 for the sake of a good recording.

If you are not using wireless, turn off any wireless hardware... that could be searching every so often for wireless networks to connect to... could be your culprit.

Make sure you do the Win 8 tweaks for now... get rid of as many background processes as you can.

Bob L