Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: about using Melodyne in SS

I have been tempted to go for Melodyne, but so far my research is a bit confusing and I haven't found some of the answers I'm after, so here are my questions:

What kind of copy protection scheme do they use, and is it the same for all versions?

How well does it "play nice" with SawStudio?

Can it be installed on more than one machine (only one would be used at a time)?

How good is its time stretch/compress function?

Any warnings about unexpected "gotchas" in its use?

thanks
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: OT: about using Melodyne in SS

Well there is no better tuner that this. I would think Bob is working on getting this to work seamlessly in SS. After all Bob is always on the cutting edge, right? Right! I until then use stand alone version of Melodyne 4 and re-import the new output file to a new layer......

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    Well there is no better tuner that this. I would think Bob is working on getting this to work seamlessly in SS. After all Bob is always on the cutting edge, right? Right! I until then use stand alone version of Melodyne 4 and re-import the new output file to a new layer......
    Do you have any answers for the other questions I asked?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    I have been tempted to go for Melodyne, but so far my research is a bit confusing and I haven't found some of the answers I'm after, so here are my questions:

What kind of copy protection scheme do they use, and is it the same for all versions?

How well does it "play nice" with SawStudio?

Can it be installed on more than one machine (only one would be used at a time)?

How good is its time stretch/compress function?

Any warnings about unexpected "gotchas" in its use?

thanks
    Cary,

Copy protection: this is from my personal page at Celemony:

Name:  melodyne activation.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  36.9 KB

If I remember right, I had a choice to put the license on my iLok dongle (to move from computer to computer) or do it through my iLok account, which locks you into a single computer. I assume you can always change that later, though I don't know for sure. I believe you at least need a (free) iLok account.

Play nice? Here's a recent post of mine from a recent thread here on the forum, which may be of some help.

More than one machine?
    With an iLok dongle, you can move it around among machines. It appears from the info above that without the dongle, you can use it simultaneously on two machines. I'm using Melodyne Editor 2.x, BTW, which includes both stand-alone and VST/AAX/RTAS incarnations.

Time stretch/compress? For voice-over it's the best I've heard (though I haven't listened around in a few years). Usually no artifacts that I can hear, even with really high-ratio compression. With music, still pretty good, but more audible artifacts. Probably because there's so much more going on, spectrally. I would try it and see what you think. You can experiment with the three analysis algorithms available (melodic, percussive, polyphonic). Each works (and sounds) different, depending on the material.

Gotchas? I haven't tried the more recent versions, so caveat emptor. Hopefully, they'll maintain the stability I'm seeing with ver. 2.1.2 in SAW on Windows 10. You can always do the 30-day free trial and check it out for yourself.

Good luck!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Mr. Bob what do you have to say about getting the plugin to work in SS? I am sure if you get ARA (Audio Random Access) to work, our problems will be solved! Like other Daw code writers have done....- See this small clip to understand more<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Roboto"> -
    Last edited by spiritman; 03-26-2016 at 08:35 AM.

I use Melodyne every single day but, I have to use it outside of SS.
    How sweet would that be to be able to use it within the SS environment!

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    I use Melodyne every single day but, I have to use it outside of SS.
    How sweet would that be to be able to use it within the SS environment!
    How very strange that so many folks are having trouble inside of SAW. For me it's working as a VST in SAW better than ever. Maybe it's something that broke starting with ver. 3? I'm still on ver. 2.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Dave I think your right! I had no trouble in version 2 ether. But I have lots of it using this plugin on version 4. I really believe ARA will be the answer. As per usual Bob will fix it, so we can use this in real time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    How very strange that so many folks are having trouble inside of SAW. For me it's working as a VST in SAW better than ever. Maybe it's something that broke starting with ver. 3? I'm still on ver. 2.
    Dave, I'm using 2.x and I would sure like to know how you get it to work as a VST in SAW. Can you provide a step by step?
    Thanks.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Dave, I'm using 2.x and I would sure like to know how you get it to work as a VST in SAW. Can you provide a step by step?
    Thanks.
    Ver. 2.1.2. (that's the latest ver. 2.x). Let the Melodyne install program install the 32-bit VST 2 DLL (Melodyne.dll) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins\. Create an INI called "Melodyne.ini" containing only this line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins\Melodyne.dll" and a carriage return, and place it in the C:\SAWStudio\VST_Plugins\ folder.

Dazzit. Let us know how you do.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-27-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts