Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fixing latency problem with Toshiba laptop

Hi all
    I got a Behringer FCA1616 interface VERY VERY cheap and tried using it USB with my Toshiba laptop I3 about 7 years old
    I was just doing sound for an Easter Egg hunt so no big deal but I had some clicks and pops but no slipped buffers
    I also recorded an announcement in SAW and that also had a couple clicks
    I tried large buffer size and no better
    Next day I ran Latency Mon and had very bad problems 15-20 milliseconds
    Tried everything turning off drivers turning off services nothing helped
    Reinstalled Win 7 and with nothing else installed still just as bad even with ACPI battery driver off and wifi driver off
    Installed WIN 10 and it was much better then disabled ACPI battery and wifi driver and now have less than 200 micro seconds
    Went to Hell and back installing drivers for some of my older hardware but finally have a well behaved win 10 running

Butch

2. Default Re: fixing latency problem with Toshiba laptop

I'm convinced, that the FCA1616 uses the same archwave oem audio interface/driver than the first Behringer X32. I have no problem to get a X-UF card running here on a Lenovo T430 Laptop with Windows10 set to 64Samples over USB. Maybe try a different computer. I did only little tweaks to the Windows10 OS on the Lenovo-->
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-on-Windows-10
    Last edited by Wurst Werner; 03-31-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Default Re: fixing latency problem with Toshiba laptop

Hi Wurst
    Yes this computer has been a problem with audio since I have had it I normally used it as a SAC remote not a host
    Just decided to figure out what was wrong
    I could NOT get it to work with WIN 7 but WIN 10 seems to be much better
    I have a cheap compaq laptop with WIN 7 and that one works fine
    Now I just have to figure out how to disable all the call home data logging crap in WIN 10
    Anyone know how to disable automatic updates in win 10 ???

Butch

Of the dozens of systems and computers I've built and used, Toshiba ranks at the bottom for use in audio. Something about
    their units just doesn't play well with audio interfaces of any kind let alone a Behringer. I would go find a Lenovo on Tiger or
    New Egg. Off lease units can be found for under $300. The only thing Toshiba units were good for was MIDI on older ones.
    Just my 2 cents
    S. Lewis
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording
    Richmond. KY

Blog Entries

Hello,

After all of the testing that I have done over the past few months, I would never, ever go back to a laptop-based system.

Also, I really cannot see how USB can be a usable source for digital audio. If FireWire does not work, then how can USB possibly work.

I am now using a 3U case, with a "good 'ole" RME card and am very happy now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

After all of the testing that I have done over the past few months, I would never, ever go back to a laptop-based system.

Unless you use a laptop via an Express card adaptor into an RME Digiface or the like. I use this as my 2nd , smaller setup and the performance is the same as using my RME Raydat and computer tower...
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Blog Entries

Jeff,

Yes, this I know. But it must have a TI chipset...and not the Ricoh chipset as is so common with almost units today.

In a phone call to RME via a German acquaintance of mine, RME told them that they do not recommend the use of the Ricoh chipset that handles the Express card slot.

Interestingly, the particularly chipset that was mentioned was the TI XIO2213B chipset.

If you ARE using a Ricoh chipset, then I am happy for you, but I personally would never use this system as my main, and at this point, only system.

Thanks for the heads up on that Dell. I don't know what chipset is there to tell you the truth. I'll check that out.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

This was just an experiment to see if I could fix it enough for thing like the Easter Egg hunt I was doing
    I do quite a few jobs that only need 2-3 inputs and some latency is not a problem so I thought it might be a simple solution I have even used 2 art dual input usb boxes with ASIO4all and that even worked.
    I know a simple analog mixer would be ok but it is nice to have all the eq delay and ducker stuff
    Anyway it now works ok but can't get less than 10 milliseconds of latency so a NO GO for and real work
    By the way works the same with usb or 1394. Just for fun I may try it with a computer I have that has TI chip 1394 on motherboard

Butch

Blog Entries

Hello,

I am not too sure this really matters or not, but my older brother is what is referred to as a "surface mount technologist, and was in fact, a consultant in the design of the ultrasound machine.

Until he retire, he flew all over North America as a head tech for various companies.

I remember a few years ago, when he was in my shop looking at a number of "mobo's" that I had there and he was commenting on the overall design of these boards.

What was very interesting was that of the dozen or so boards that I had, and which consisted of mainly ASUS, Intel, Gigabyte and MSI, he seemed to prefer the Intel boards as being the best designed boards. This was followed by Gigabyte, then ASUS. He said the worst was the MSI. These were all C2D boards. I did not ask him why, but maybe this is why my old Dell D615 does work alright with an M-Audio FastTrak Pro USB and a single INPUT, RETURN and OUTPUT channel configuration in SAC using ASIO4ALL. I often take this with me to very small venues, and where I just want to "play in the corner" there.