Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Micing cello & violin

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I mic strings in orchestra pits all the time. That video Angie linked is what will work the best for live sound. I tend to use a medium to large diaphragm for cello when possible. For me it's typically something like a CAD E100 or E60 on cello. (I have a lot of CAD being an Ohio boy)
    Love the E100s the old original made in the USA ones not the China version which are just OK
    Have you tried the new D90 and D89 yet they sound like I normally eq a vocal mic with NO eq
    And yes I know the E100 is made here again but have not tried them yet
    We have been an Astatic/CAD dealer since they started making mics (yes the 1930s)

OLD and Tired
    Butch

I have 4 E100s, all are US made models, not china. I have not tried the D89 or D90s yet. I don't really have a need for your typical hand held vocal all that often and I already have 4 C195s and 2 D189s. The former are pretty nice and I use them on reeds mostly as well as the occasional vocal mic.

I am more interested in the D88 and various side address mics they came out with in the same line.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I have a couple D82 ribbon mics very good guitar mics also have the D80
    The C195 sound very good but seem to have handling noise problems The original C95 have virtually none
    Same goes for the 189 as compared to the USA made 88s and 89s
    The D89 and D90 have less handling noise than the 189

Butch

Also be sure to check the batteries in the E100 from time to time if one has a bad cell it will make them distort easy and you do not want them to leak Found that out the hard way

Butch

[QUOTE=RBIngraham;210158For me it's typically something like a CAD E100 or E60 on cello. (I have a lot of CAD being an Ohio boy)[/QUOTE]

Do you know what this is? I pretty much do guitar or vocal and have my favorites I use for that. I forgot that I had this until this thread. I'd be curious if anyone has a favored use for this...

Attachment 2408

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    Also be sure to check the batteries in the E100 from time to time if one has a bad cell it will make them distort easy and you do not want them to leak Found that out the hard way

Butch
    Yeah I know. The E200s also have batteries in them as well.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Do you know what this is? I pretty much do guitar or vocal and have my favorites I use for that. I forgot that I had this until this thread. I'd be curious if anyone has a favored use for this...

Attachment 2408
    I think that is a M179?

Or perhaps some earlier version of it.

As for favored use, it's an inexpensive dual, large diaphragm multi pattern condenser. You could use it for anything where you might want such a mic.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    My question is really just about micing those instruments in non-sound re-enforcement case.

But for the sake of discussion, the violinist was standing about 3' to the left of cellist. They were both oriented toward the audience. The mic was about 5' high. If the cellist reached her left hand back over her left shoulder she might touch the mic that would be pointed from her wrist to her elbow...

What else, the mic would be about 2' to the right of the violinist's bowing elbow and a bit behind.

Its funny when you try to articulate these things. Another way to say it is that the mic was a foot or so above the headstock almost aimed down the cello strings toward the bridge - or it would have been, but I think she shifted her seat a bit forward before they got started.
    I have done a LOT of work micing violin, cello and contrabass while touring with fiddle player Natalie MacMaster and working with the Seattle Symphony. Your question is a bit confusing - are you interested in micing in a non-sound re-enforcement case (as you mentioned above) or are you asking about amplifying for a concert, which is what you seem to be talking about here? What might be optimal for live work isn't necessarily what's best for recording. And the problems you mention above can be dealt with fairly easily, depending on what you're doing.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    are you interested in micing in a non-sound re-enforcement case.
    Yes. Everything else was just an aside from being in the situation of having no time, one spare mic and 2 extra performers on the stage (although I do like to be prepared for next time). But it did wake the question and I may record these players for real, so I am very interested in the various approaches that you guys use and the thoughts behind them...

John