Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: SAC Installation sheet

You can do it either way... if the host is at FOH then you will have complete control of all DX and VST and native plugins at FOH... if the host stays backstage, then you will have some limits to controlling plugins, but certainly none that are show stopping... and you do not have to run a snake and run the audio signals out to FOH and back again... that can certainly improve the signal right there.

As far as other solutions... sure... for a small channel count you can choose from many small consoles like Mackie, Behringer, Presonus... etc... but realize you are getting their low end units... you certainly, regardless of what others may suggest, do not come close to the power and features of the SAC system... no matter the channel count, the features stay the same... you get 24 full monitor consoles for in-ears and wedges as well as an FOH console... all independent... all with full EQ, Compression, Gates... etc... no comparison to mixing monitors with a mono aux send.

You get full scene control... on the order of the most expensive digital console systems anywhere... and you also get a system that can easily be updated in channel count later without having to start over... the list goes on and on... so take your time before you decide.

One thing that is a legitimate consideration is whether or not you will have dedicated audio operators or volunteers that will constantly come and go... obviously... a small physical console is easier for anyone to learn to operate... the SAC system definitely wants trained operators.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by richswit View Post

Hurrah!
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by jvergara65 View Post
    is it better to have the SAC computer and AD/DA converters in the FOH and have 16-channel snake sent to the staget or
    do you put the SAC computer and AD/DA converters in the stage and then have a remote with dual monitors connected with CAT-5 network cable
    to the SAC computer from the FOH position?
    I think that's really personal preference and logistics. We have everything at FOH, but it is a permanent installation. If your situation is not, you may want to use a remote.

For my traveling SAC/SAW system. I use a KVM with mic and headphone connections that runs on a Cat5 cable and keep the host computer and mic pres near the stage. It is lighter and easier to run one Cat5 across the room. But I can still use a snake if I need to.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Hi Angie,
    do you mind to share the brand and model of the KVM you are using?

Do you still you RME for your traveling setup or just a laptop with a Firewire interface?

thanks,

Juan C

Hi Angie,
    do you mind to share the brand and model of the KVM you are using?

Do you still you RME for your traveling setup or just a laptop with a Firewire interface?

thanks,

Juan C
    I'm using an Avocent Longview. I'll have to check, but I believe it is the LV430 model which has PS2 and VGA display. I had to use USB adapters for the Keyboard and mouse.

I am currently using one of the original RME Hammerfalls (XP machine). The computer I'm using only has one PCI slot, so I have experimented with a MOTU PCI424 for when I need to go to 48 channels. Though I have not had a job requiring that high a track count yet.

The whole system worked flawlessly Saturday for The Fabulous Boogienauts at the Wings Over The Rockies Star Wars celebration. Got complimented several times by the staff for the sound. They work with a number of large AV companies in town, and I was told our sound was the best of all of them. They loved the low profile at FOH too.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Got complimented several times by the staff for the sound. They work with a number of large AV companies in town, and I was told our sound was the best of all of them. They loved the low profile at FOH too.
    I have heard that a few times too and it always makes you feel good

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    I have heard that a few times too and it always makes you feel good

Butch
    I've had several legendary music stars (and reps and agencies) keep returning for a ton of production for over 15 years also because of the quality of production they heard through Bob's software (in this case, SAC's precursor, SawStudio). SawStudio has helped bring me years of faithful repeat business. I'm glad Bob doesn't charge commission.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Hi all,
    Is there any place in the SAC website a sheet or document that shows the equipment, layout, cables, computers, etc, needed to leverage SAC in a church like environment?

Let's say something like 16 channels needed, plus the normal personal monitoring.

thanks,

Juan C
    Not sure if this has been done in the multiple posts in this thread but I thought I should post this link.

Bob put a lot of effort in this, as he does everything, with spirit It's a shame that wou were not directed there from the get-go. This guide will get you all you need to start from scratch and have a complete, fully user controlled system in no time.
    As for my personal input, to the topic, the sticky issue still is to:
    • either find a XP compatible mobo, the ideal for a mix-dedicated rig
    • or to pick a modern, low power system with W10 that you will have to try and tweak to be nice with real time processing.

I read a $50 Skylake Pentium will run at 4ghz+ with mono threaded performance equal to that of the most expensive i7, provided you have a capable mobo and install a tweaked bios. That's what I would do but that loses XP's ACPI for good this time. No more workarounds... I favor the i3 6100 over the pentium though: most certainly higher binned with 3.7Ghz stock clock and likely to run cooler and faster while still very affordable.

It seems the days we could force XP install on an otherwise unsupported chipset are to an end. That's my main concern when it comes to installing a new SAC rig. That should warrant a thread of its own ...