Close

Default OT Handheld recorders

I just gave away my old zoom recorder - it was one of the early models with font so small it was mostly unusable. Anyway, I'm shopping for a new one and checking to see what you guys like. Ideally it would have excellent sound quality, be usable as a sound card and have a clean, easy to see & use interface. John

Default Re: OT Handheld recorders

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I just gave away my old zoom recorder - it was one of the early models with font so small it was mostly unusable. Anyway, I'm shopping for a new one and checking to see what you guys like. Ideally it would have excellent sound quality, be usable as a sound card and have a clean, easy to see & use interface. John
    Well I may not be the best judge since I lived pretty much all the Zooms I've used. But I would take a serious look at the H6. Interchangeable capsules and you can record up to 6 channels at a time. A college of mine has one and it looked pretty nice to me when he let me look at it. The sound quality of the stuff I've heard that he brought in was very good.

Unless you're going to spend a lot more on something like a Sound Devices (which are not really handheld recorders but Pro level portable recorders... i.e. no built in mics) I doubt you'll find much that sounds better than the zooms. You have to spend significantly more than a Zoom in order to get a noticeably step up in sound quality to my ear anyway.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT Handheld recorders

I second the H6 it's really the best bang for your buck with a lot of upgrades packed into the design.