Close

Blog Entries

Default Is Gate flr the same as range on a Gate?

Just trying to understand the terminology used in the noise gate section of the mixer. Is the Floor setting the same as a Range setting? I rarely ever see Floor on gates.

Default Re: Is Gate flr the same as range on a Gate?

The floor setting determines how far down the gate goes when it closes.... if set to -inf then it completely mutes... this value allows you to control how much noise the gate shuts down... in many cases it is useful to use a floor setting of - 6 or 12db instead of completely shutting all the way down... this can be less noticeable on a noisy channel compared to a gate muting and opening repeatedly.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    The floor setting determines how far down the gate goes when it closes.... if set to -inf then it completely mutes... this value allows you to control how much noise the gate shuts down... in many cases it is useful to use a floor setting of - 6 or 12db instead of completely shutting all the way down... this can be less noticeable on a noisy channel compared to a gate muting and opening repeatedly.

Bob L
    Thanks Bob, I understand how the floor works but my question is about terminology of Gates. It seems to me that the floor is the same as range in meaning this is what I am getting at and the reason is I rarely if ever see "floor" on any gate setting but rather Range all the time.

I'm just playing around with various gates on a session.....trying to gate the kick....and was wondering the exact same thing.

Having played with at least half a dozen different plugins today...I have to say that Bob's gate works really well for that application. The McDSP G Channel gate had a great sound as well.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Thanks Bob, I understand how the floor works but my question is about terminology of Gates. It seems to me that the floor is the same as range in meaning this is what I am getting at and the reason is I rarely if ever see "floor" on any gate setting but rather Range all the time.
    I can attest to the fact that it acts exactly as the "Range" found on other very high end gates. For instance, it does the same thing as the "Range" on my Valley People Gatex.

Bob's description of "Floor" is actually (IMHO) more accurate to what is actually happening. The nice thing I like about the VP Gatex is that it also has 3 different slope positions for the "Knee" of the "Floor/Range" threshold setting, making it very smooth and transparent depending on need (separate from the Release setting).
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Blog Entries

I am thinking that the Floor term was changed to Range as the Range term is easier to understand in its meaning when it means the same thing from everything I have seen and learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I am thinking that the Floor term was changed to Range as the Range term is easier to understand in its meaning when it means the same thing from everything I have seen and learned.
    I thought the "Range" came first.
    A rose is a rose is a rose..... it's all the same... and an awesome tool.
    I do wish Bob had variable knee curves on the gate threshold. That, along with the 'floor' would allow more creative mixing in difficult situations.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    I thought the "Range" came first.
    A rose is a rose is a rose..... it's all the same... and an awesome tool.
    I do wish Bob had variable knee curves on the gate threshold. That, along with the 'floor' would allow more creative mixing in difficult situations.
    Yep to both and its good to have that VST to do the job if needed.