Default Re: OT: Big Favor

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Still the poster boy in my book!
    Who's that? Boy Carl? Or Boy Dave?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Boy Dave, naturally!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Yep. That sounds right. SAW Plus was my first step into the dark side.

I remember seeing the original SAW (four-channels, I think) being demo'd, but I had just bought into my TASCAM TRS-8 (1/2-inch, 8-track reel-to-reel) at that point, so I was loath to pay for a four-track "machine," even a virtual one. The EDitor/Fast Eddie and the CardD were all the digital excitement I needed at the time.

But when SAW Plus came on the scene (I think I saw an actual magazine ad for it), I was all in.
    Similar here Dave. I had previously had an 8 track Otari, several 2 tracks, and a couple of 1/4 tracks... not to mention a couple of QRKs and a pile of rack gear with a large Teac console (later a 32x8 Mackie). Then Life was became semi-better in the early 90's when I added 16 tracks of ADATs... but what a pain to edit with while BCR E-Proms were so buggy.

Then I saw SAW 4track-- wow! When SAWPlus came out - that was awesome - fast, high quality audio wysiwyg! A dream come true. And the CardD sounded great for the day! From the day I got SawPlus I abandoned a good successful 25 year career in linear tape based production to propel my creativity in the digital realm.... now 20 years later... it's SAWStudio as the method of the magic!
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Similar here Dave. I had previously had an 8 track Otari, several 2 tracks, and a couple of 1/4 tracks... not to mention a couple of QRKs and a pile of rack gear with a large Teac console (later a 32x8 Mackie). Then Life was became semi-better in the early 90's when I added 16 tracks of ADATs... but what a pain to edit with while BCR E-Proms were so buggy.

Then I saw SAW 4track-- wow! When SAWPlus came out - that was awesome - fast, high quality audio wysiwyg! A dream come true. And the CardD sounded great for the day! From the day I got SawPlus I abandoned a good successful 25 year career in linear tape based production to propel my creativity in the digital realm.... now 20 years later... it's SAWStudio as the method of the magic!
    My studio was 2" 24-track based, then adding ADATS (which I always hated), and I, too, took the non-linear digital plunge with a CardD. I added SAW Classic (not 'classic' yet, of course ) and later SAWPlus and a 20-bit Tango. I still remember my very first multi-track computer session, recording drums for a jingle, and I was scared to death. I stayed hybrid for several years before improved computer reliability and the formidable cost of tape finally retired my Otari. Still miss the sound, but nothing else about it. Well, maybe the smell of a new reel of tape...

Isn't it weird to be talking about this stuff in such nostalgic terms? We should all get together and start an audio history channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post

Isn't it weird to be talking about this stuff in such nostalgic terms? We should all get together and start an audio history channel.
    Yes, tens of people would watch.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Yes, tens of people would watch.
    Glass half-full kinda guy, huh?

Future of Audio channel???
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Card D SAWClassic and these. 1995

S. Lewis
    Mountain View Recording
    Richmond, KY
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post
    My studio was 2" 24-track based, then adding ADATS (which I always hated), and I, too, took the non-linear digital plunge with a CardD. I added SAW Classic (not 'classic' yet, of course ) and later SAWPlus and a 20-bit Tango. I still remember my very first multi-track computer session, recording drums for a jingle, and I was scared to death. I stayed hybrid for several years before improved computer reliability and the formidable cost of tape finally retired my Otari. Still miss the sound, but nothing else about it. Well, maybe the smell of a new reel of tape...

While tens of people are listening () I remember in the 60's getting an FCC 1st class license based solely around tube technology, and in the 70's playing records on spinning turntables at K101, San Francisco, and razor blading tape edits on Ampex's & Scully's at KYA, SF. Now the only 'smell' of tape is from the oven while baking for playback. I remember once in the production room, envisioning something similar to non-linear editing - then only a dream. I'm sure glad it's been a reality for the last 20 years especially with Bob's ingenuous products.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Card D SAWClassic and these. 1995

S. Lewis
    Mountain View Recording
    Richmond, KY

SAWEET!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts