Close

Thread: SAC over SD9

Default SAC over SD9

Just the other day, I've set up 2 FOH mixing systems. Digico SD9 stock version and SAC (2 x Behringer ada8000 + Digi9652 1x64 @ 24/48k)
    SAC was 68% using only 1 core with 16ch and 4 monitor mixes. I was using 2 multiband comp, master limiter, 2 cabinet simulations and an complete amp sim.
    2 x SSL channels, Waves VocalRider Live, H-Delay, 4 x LA2A, TrueVerb, 4 x Steinberg Q, 2 ApTrigga's Kick and Snare.Also compressors and channel gate and EQ.

I'm not biassed by what I love and use, I did give both systems a fair trial, but to me and to the people gathered for the concert SAC was the clear winner.
    I can't say nothing bad about SD9, thought the interface and layout of the board is not for the taste of anyone that comes from analog.
    But maaaaaaannnn that board still cost 27k$

I had my tablet with me last night and did take advantage of TouchDAW console, awesome software.
    Also I had the ability to connect to the computer via RemoteRDP and control the plugins and compressors...really handy!

The sound....

Digico sounded great, nothing wrong with the sound but still had problems with mid highs around 4-6k.Also the board compressor and the multiband did not do the job controlling the bassguitars boomy low end.The master section was kind of a funny, every time it was hitting 0 weird sound were coming through, where as in SAC I can limit the signal with a simple free plugin, that will keep the signal at -0.2dB.

The FX in Digico did not make me say wow.
    Those are mostly standard thing in VST fx today, you can find 100s of free VST that sound even better.
    Reverb...hmmmmm.....for 27k I want WOW!!!!!!!

Ok, preamps are better than the Behringers but the B converter is actually a good one!

Layout - not my world!!!! Tryed to get used to it but just can't....no logic!!!!

Moving channels, now that's a pain.5 steps, 2 menu's and confirmation blabalablabla..... not for fast work!

Monitor channels hm....only as much as you have aux-es, no separate mixing and EQing....where as in SAC I can separate everything....and with 1 click i can set 16 channels input straight away and use Different REV for Monitor 1,2,3,4,5,6.....Now that's flexibility!!!!

Also getting from place A to Z on Digico during a rushing tempo of a festival where you deal with bands and so on....it's just nightmare.The guy who worked with a band for 10 years that's a great mix engineer, loaded the session and it took him 30 more min to finalize the soundcheck using their backline and mics. Geeeeeezzzz!!!!

I did mine in 5 min.
    Did used Triggers on Snare / Kick / Cabinet simulations for AMPs and a Distressor VST on vocal in SAC this time and all that under 2k

I had to do this test because of my collages who were asking me with what console I work....
    I told them: whatever I can lay my hands on is ok, but that my most favorite is SAC....A simple computer using a software that I was so against when I first tried.
    I was an analog guy, all the way!!!! Maybe using PC for AMP sim or Keys or Triggering but only mixing on analog boards and here I am, loving the all digital Software Console that is customisable in so many ways!

So we began to talk about the software and I told them that I personally admire the it, as the system itself that can stand tall against all kind of mixers and desks, that I've worked on before and work now.

Next big test is EXIT Serbia, I'll be there with my 24ch setup besides Midas Legend 3000 and M32
    3 systems side by side Lol

That's gonna be cooooooollll!!!!!!!
    Last edited by operationwhat; 06-20-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Default Re: SAC over SD9

super !!

Great report...
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

4. Default Re: SAC over SD9

bro, cool story. You should keep telling it over and over!

Quote Originally Posted by operationwhat View Post
    Just the other day, I've set up 2 FOH mixing systems. Digico SD9 stock version and SAC (2 x Behringer ada8000 + Digi9652 1x64 @ 24/48k)
    SAC was 68% using only 1 core with 16ch and 4 monitor mixes. I was using 2 multiband comp, master limiter, 2 cabinet simulations and an complete amp sim.
    2 x SSL channels, Waves VocalRider Live, H-Delay, 4 x LA2A, TrueVerb, 4 x Steinberg Q, 2 ApTrigga's Kick and Snare.Also compressors and channel gate and EQ.

I'm not biassed by what I love and use, I did give both systems a fair trial, but to me and to the people gathered for the concert SAC was the clear winner.
    I can't say nothing bad about SD9, thought the interface and layout of the board is not for the taste of anyone that comes from analog.
    But maaaaaaannnn that board still cost 27k$

I had my tablet with me last night and did take advantage of TouchDAW console, awesome software.
    Also I had the ability to connect to the computer via RemoteRDP and control the plugins and compressors...really handy!

The sound....

Digico sounded great, nothing wrong with the sound but still had problems with mid highs around 4-6k.Also the board compressor and the multiband did not do the job controlling the bassguitars boomy low end.The master section was kind of a funny, every time it was hitting 0 weird sound were coming through, where as in SAC I can limit the signal with a simple free plugin, that will keep the signal at -0.2dB.

The FX in Digico did not make me say wow.
    Those are mostly standard thing in VST fx today, you can find 100s of free VST that sound even better.
    Reverb...hmmmmm.....for 27k I want WOW!!!!!!!

Ok, preamps are better than the Behringers but the B converter is actually a good one!

Layout - not my world!!!! Tryed to get used to it but just can't....no logic!!!!

Moving channels, now that's a pain.5 steps, 2 menu's and confirmation blabalablabla..... not for fast work!

Monitor channels hm....only as much as you have aux-es, no separate mixing and EQing....where as in SAC I can separate everything....and with 1 click i can set 16 channels input straight away and use Different REV for Monitor 1,2,3,4,5,6.....Now that's flexibility!!!!

Also getting from place A to Z on Digico during a rushing tempo of a festival where you deal with bands and so on....it's just nightmare.The guy who worked with a band for 10 years that's a great mix engineer, loaded the session and it took him 30 more min to finalize the soundcheck using their backline and mics. Geeeeeezzzz!!!!

I did mine in 5 min.
    Did used Triggers on Snare / Kick / Cabinet simulations for AMPs and a Distressor VST on vocal in SAC this time and all that under 2k

I had to do this test because of my collages who were asking me with what console I work....
    I told them: whatever I can lay my hands on is ok, but that my most favorite is SAC....A simple computer using a software that I was so against when I first tried.
    I was an analog guy, all the way!!!! Maybe using PC for AMP sim or Keys or Triggering but only mixing on analog boards and here I am, loving the all digital Software Console that is customisable in so many ways!

So we began to talk about the software and I told them that I personally admire the it, as the system itself that can stand tall against all kind of mixers and desks, that I've worked on before and work now.

Next big test is EXIT Serbia, I'll be there with my 24ch setup besides Midas Legend 3000 and M32
    3 systems side by side Lol

That's gonna be cooooooollll!!!!!!!
    Sorry, but there is no problem with the board and those frequencies. The console is ruler flat. The issue is with the PA tuning, mic selection and placement, it sounds like. You shouldn't be using a multi band compressor to fix boomy guitars. You should fix the boomy guitars.

Great read, thanks for posting

I'm not a fan of the DiGiCo UI either. And I've been told by some engineers who have used them quite a bit that their power supplies can be a bit iffy, so those particular engineers refuse to accept them at venues.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    I'm not a fan of the DiGiCo UI either. And I've been told by some engineers who have used them quite a bit that their power supplies can be a bit iffy, so those particular engineers refuse to accept them at venues.
    I have not heard anything bad about power supplies. But I agree on the UI. Although personally I don't care for it because they are trying to hard to make it look like an analog mixer on the screen and you end up spending all sorts of time scrolling and paging around to get to the control you want to tweak.

Anyway the UI does take some getting used to. But then so do lots of digital consoles I've worked. :-)

I call BS on the sound though. The best things about the desk to me is the audio quality and flexible architecture. Although the later can also get you trouble as well if you're not up on how the desk works.

Last thing I would say is if you're using an SD9 you're going to want to use that 2nd display output on the back of the surface so you can actually see the info you need without have to play a lot of games.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/