Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SAWStudio and Windows 10 - Should I upgrade my OS?

I just got a new laptop for production use and it has Win 7 so I started the upgrade. I don't think it's actually downloading anything at the moment of it is it's doing it REALLY slowly. I think as long as you have it scheduled you'll get in the cue. But obviously that's just my own hunch... so don't quote me.

My guess is that you, I and and several hundred others are all trying to update at the last minute and so it will just download to your machine whenever MS is ready to let you. Then it will ask you to actually start the install when it's all ready to do so.

Basically you should just go on about your business as usual and let the machine run. Yeah I know.. pain in the ass with a machine you use for production work. But it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

I updated one of my machines just a few months ago and it took almost no time at all... relatively speaking. This new laptop has been sitting on my desk for about 24 hours now while I've installed various other things as I wait. It hasn't started to install Win 10 at all.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Once in Win 10, make sure to right-click on the SAWStudio/SAC desktop icon and set the compatibility properties to Win XP SP3... also set to run as administrator... that should help with any major issues.

Bob L

Bill and RBI,

IIRC, you can force an immediate upgrade, circumventing the queue. I think that's how I did it, now wanting to sit around, waiting. Google it. I think it's just a matter of doing a manual download, then executing it. But I really don't remember. Check it out. Why wait for the queue, when you can rush to the front of the line? (Yes, people hate me in traffic construction zones.)
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Name:  Skip the line (Win10 upgrade).jpg
Views: 149
Size:  95.6 KB
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Bill and RBI,

IIRC, you can force an immediate upgrade, circumventing the queue. I think that's how I did it, now wanting to sit around, waiting. Google it. I think it's just a matter of doing a manual download, then executing it. But I really don't remember. Check it out. Why wait for the queue, when you can rush to the front of the line? (Yes, people hate me in traffic construction zones.)
    Yeah I would hate you in construction zones. :-)

But thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that out when I get back home. I'm not in a super huge rush myself. It took it over night just to get Office 365 installed. Sigh..

I'm now at the stage where I have to decide if I'm going to start loading in all the audio software and plugs or just wait till the update happens. I was hoping for the later and maybe if I can jump to the front of the line I will do that.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Yeah I would hate you in construction zones. :-)

But thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that out when I get back home. I'm not in a super huge rush myself. It took it over night just to get Office 365 installed. Sigh..

I'm now at the stage where I have to decide if I'm going to start loading in all the audio software and plugs or just wait till the update happens. I was hoping for the later and maybe if I can jump to the front of the line I will do that.
    Yeah, from what I remember the "long" part was waiting for the download to complete. Went pretty quick from there. But, that was an upgrade from Windows 7. Since then, I've done a complete ground-up reinstall, but I don't think that took too terribly long, either.
    Becket, Massachusetts

It finally finished late last night. I went to listen to a local band for a couple hours, came back and it was done. I did a quick audition to check it out and everything seems to be working flawlessly.

The download didn't take that long, maybe an hour and a half. The upgrade process is what crawled along.

Bob, I'm going to set SAW to XP SP3 mode and do some more serious checking.

Thanks all for your insight,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio