Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default SAW and My DMX 2

Hello,

Can anyone assist me in how to get SAW to see My DMX 2 from American DJ?

Thanks for the assistance.

Default Re: SAW and My DMX 2

What do you mean be "see it"? SAW doesn't communicate DMX. The best it could do is send simple MIDI commands to the software to trigger light cues that are stored in the lighting software.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Blog Entries

Hello,

I understand that SAW does not communicate DMX...but I was looking for the process/processes to get this working. As this is completely new territory for me, I was seeking some wisdom for those that currently work with or use DMX within the SAW environment.

PS: As far as I am able to understand, the software - myDMX 2.0, does not communicate MIDI.

I do this all the time but I use PC Stage or Eclipse
    You can give me a call anytime 309 230 7061

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

I understand that SAW does not communicate DMX...but I was looking for the process/processes to get this working. As this is completely new territory for me, I was seeking some wisdom for those that currently work with or use DMX within the SAW environment.

PS: As far as I am able to understand, the software - myDMX 2.0, does not communicate MIDI.
    http://www.adj.com/mydmx-2-1

This page shows MIDI triggering. Don't know what the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 is so maybe 2.0 doesn't have it.

But is essentially what you want to look for. Lighting software that will let you set up a virtual or hardware MIDI port between SAW and the lighting control software and will accept generic MIDI commands. (some lighting software will only respond to MSC - MIDI Show Control and SAW doesn't handle that all that well if memory serves) So you'll want to send program change messages or note on/off messages, etc.. and have the lighting control software respond to it.

Pretty sure you have MIDI Workshop if I remember, so you at least have all the tools you would need within SAW to send MIDI data that is sync'd to a SAW timeline that gets spit out to a lighting controller. You'll just need to make sure you get a product that supports MIDI input and then figure out what those MIDI commands are that it will respond to. The lighting software stores all your lighting cues and then you just trigger those cues via MIDI sent out of SAW.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Blog Entries

Hello,

Thanks, Richard.

The solution appears to be DMXIS.

It provides a VST plugin.

So, that should do it.

Hello,

Thanks, Richard.

The solution appears to be DMXIS.

It provides a VST plugin.

So, that should do it.
    Sounds good. There are a ton of options out there for cheap lighting controllers. Just depends on what you need and how best to implement it. The thought of putting all the eggs in one basket so to speak (running lighting on the same machine as SAC and/or SAW) always made me nervous. I personally would want separate machines. But for small shows with tiny channel counts and I would suspect probably not all that many lighting fixtures you'll probably be fine.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Blog Entries

Hello,

Of interest, I have sent an email to ENTTEC support regarding the following:

Q1: What is the difference between the two plugins, DMXIS.dll and DMXIS-Inst.dll?
    Q2: I am using a program called Software Audio Console and have tried to configuration the plugin via the use of scenes but it does not appear to work. Does the plugin work in this manner or is it only through MIDI commands that changes can be made? I hope that I am asking the question properly?

Does anyone here use DMXIS?

Hello,

Of interest, I have sent an email to ENTTEC support regarding the following:

Q1: What is the difference between the two plugins, DMXIS.dll and DMXIS-Inst.dll?
    Q2: I am using a program called Software Audio Console and have tried to configuration the plugin via the use of scenes but it does not appear to work. Does the plugin work in this manner or is it only through MIDI commands that changes can be made? I hope that I am asking the question properly?

Does anyone here use DMXIS?

You will not be able to make changes VIA scenes as there is no support for that. All program control is done through MIDI.

It may be possible to configure something with Scenes and MIDI Workshop, but I'm not familiar enough with either scenes or MIDI workshop to know for sure.

Otherwise you will need to configure either a virtual MIDI connection or do a midi loopback through hardware.

It should also be possible to pass audio into DMXIS via the VST to add limited beat tracking, but I have not has success in getting that to work as yet.

Please note, you can only use the VST plugin or the stand alone program, but not both (Only one instance can communicate with the hardware at a time).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Thus far, using DMXIS-Inst.dll, I have been able to change pre-sets via the Control Track in SAW using the Midi Bank Select / Program Change Built-In Cmds option.