Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OT: Windows 10 screen stretch

I installed Win 10 on my wife's machine, and the AOC monitor display is skewed... everything is stretched horizontally. All apps and pictures displayed fine on the same monitor with the previous Window OS (Vista). I've changed the resolution (and back again because it made no improvement). I looked for updated drivers, but the best driver for my device is already installed.

Does anyone know a way to correct this?

TIA
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: OT: Windows 10 screen stretch

Are you sure you've found/tried the monitor's native resolution, Richard?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Richard,

There is also - generally, an Auto/Reset function on most monitors. This usually cures such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Are you sure you've found/tried the monitor's native resolution, Richard?
    Hmmm... no, not really. I did look at the options offered in Win 10 Settings and tried them all (if that's what you're referring to) and it only changed the size of things on the screen. I'm having a problem with aspect ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

There is also - generally, an Auto/Reset function on most monitors. This usually cures such situations.
    Well, I didn't know that. It's an AOC. I'll see if I can find anything like that on the monitor.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Blog Entries

Richard,

Send me the model number and I will what I can find out as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Hmmm... no, not really. I did look at the options offered in Win 10 Settings and tried them all (if that's what you're referring to) and it only changed the size of things on the screen. I'm having a problem with aspect ratio.

Well, I didn't know that. It's an AOC. I'll see if I can find anything like that on the monitor.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
    The native resolution is usually (I believe) the "recommended" resolution that appears in bold in your Windows resolution settings, IIRC. But to be sure, you can check your manual or look it up online (the native resolution for that particular monitor, that is). Most resolutions do have different aspect ratios, though it sounds like what you're seeing is more extreme than what I usually see at different resolution settings.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Hey -- is it possible that your horizontal and/or vertical stretch settings are simply way off? The reset trick should fix that, if so. But you could also go in and play with those buttons (horizontal and vertical stretch -- or whatever it's properly called) to see if that's it.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

Send me the model number and I will what I can find out as well...
    Thanks for offering Dell, but I found the "automatic configuration" option on the monitor's setup screen. I also found a "wide" or "4:3" option on that same setup page. Setting it to 4:3 corrects the stretching issue, but basically blanks out the sides of the screen, making it appear smaller. The automatic configuration puts it in the wide mode, and everything is stretched.

The native resolution is usually (I believe) the "recommended" resolution that appears in bold in your Windows resolution settings, IIRC. But to be sure, you can check your manual or look it up online (the native resolution for that particular monitor, that is). Most resolutions do have different aspect ratios, though it sounds like what you're seeing is more extreme than what I usually see at different resolution settings.
    Yes, there is a recommended setting, and that's where the monitor was "choosing" to run as well as where I ultimately set it after trying other options.

Hey -- is it possible that your horizontal and/or vertical stretch settings are simply way off? The reset trick should fix that, if so. But you could also go in and play with those buttons (horizontal and vertical stretch -- or whatever it's properly called) to see if that's it.
    I think you mean on the monitor itself, and I can't find that control option there. Some web searching suggested that the problem is caused by the fact that there are no Win 10 drivers for my graphics adapter. I'm using a third party card. It's using generic Microsoft drivers. An attempt to update the drivers from the Device Manager only resulted in the message "The best drivers for your device are already installed", or some such language. But that gives me an idea... Maybe I can use the on-board video. I don't know if that would make a difference, but it's worth a try. The machine is an older HP Pavilion, and I did check to see if HP has Win 10 drivers for that specific machine. Of course, they don't. But maybe it will work by some miracle. Right now, I just re-configure the monitor for "wide" when I'm using SAW, and then set it to "4:3" when the machine is used for website updates or surfing. It's my wife's computer, and the only time I use it is when I record her voice overs. But it drives her crazy to update her website when the pictures are skewed.

Thanks Dell and Dave for your input. It keeps me diggin'.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Blog Entries

Richard,

Is this a current or older monitor? If it is an older one, you just may not get it to work. Best thing is to try another monitor. If this proves fruitful, then you will know that it is a monitor issue. This is not a uncommon situation with older or less expensive monitors.

PS: The video card driver issues should really not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    ... It's using generic Microsoft drivers. An attempt to update the drivers from the Device Manager only resulted in the message "The best drivers for your device are already installed", or some such language...

This is the problem. The generic Microsoft display driver is limited to a few resolutions and all in 4:3 aspect ratio. It loads when there is no compatible display driver installed so that you at least see something.

What display card do you have in the PC? A compatible driver most likely exists, you just need to know which chipset the card is using.