Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Education Wanted: Windows 10 64 now Stable, Why?

Hello,

Yes, you have to disable Defender.

Also, that is large number of processes...it would be interesting to discover just what these are.

60 processes is pretty normal for Win 10... and pretty hard to reduce in practice... another issue which is part of the interference of realtime audio processing in today's Windows versions.

Many audio drivers are not capable of running ASIO modules on multiple programs at the same time, which may explain the Cubase crash and lockup when trying to run SAC at the same time.

Bob L

I was able to drop about 10 Processes by uninstalling or disabling some background apps, default apps or those that wanted to run at startup. (Movie & TV, XBox, Splashtop, Realtek Manager, Adobe Acrobat Update Service, etc.)

Referenced:

Also:
    • Run: services.msc - (which appears to be useful as well.)

You can control a lot of processes in the task - sheduler. There are some processes that will start when special conditions are meet (idle state, certain time .... ) so there's a lot of possiblities that the current state of your system is not exactly the same as it has been the last time you've tested it.

I discover that in win8 / 10 starting SAC during system start gives me a lot of slipped buffers, but starting it delayed makes the system 'rock - solid' (over 40 Inputs and 8 outputs 64/1 for five hours without any lost buffer).

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

This morning I rebooted the system after making all my changes: uninstalls, disabling, etc. listed in an above post with referenced info sources. The system now boots and settles down to 43 process (44 with task manager). SAC says it is running with only the Force RealTime Priority Class checked at 34-36% Load, Task Manager says 22% CPU, 33% Memory

I left the system on all night and it did not slip any buffers. That is good, but I noticed as soon as I tried to resize the main SAC window to view the Task manager beside it, the buffers slipped and were audible the entire time I was adjusting the size - 115 in a matter of seconds.

Any particular Windows settings, or otherwise that can help lower this system demand specifically while resizing SAC window sizes?
    (Settings that could allow SAC as is to continue running the following test mix at the 64 x.1 buffer settings - which run me between 6 & 7ms of total Input to Output latency at either 44.1 or 48k sample rates. In my experience musicians mentally fight the noticeable latency at 128 buffer settings. Under 7ms I don't hear complaints or comments.):

• 24 Stereo ch., ea. with all EQ, Low Cut, Gate, Dynamics and one Aux Send going to a Return channel (FreeverbToo w/ Stereo Expander) 4 St. Outs,
    • 6 monitor mixes all getting their signal post FOH EQ & Dynamics, lightening load and system complexity, all using all 24 stereo In channnels, 1 St. out,
    • Studio Graphic Equalizer & Levelizer FX on all outputs

(I almost always have mostly mono mixes under 24 channels, but try to test above and beyond what I expect to need.)

Current Question again:
    Any particular Windows settings, or otherwise that can help lower this system demand specifically while resizing SAC window sizes?

Thanks for all the replied comments guys, you got me to dig further and am learning how to lighten the Windows 10 system load better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan P View Post
    This morning I rebooted the system after making all my changes: uninstalls, disabling, etc. listed in an above post with referenced info sources. The system now boots and settles down to 43 process (44 with task manager). SAC says it is running with only the Force RealTime Priority Class checked at 34-36% Load, Task Manager says 22% CPU, 33% Memory

I left the system on all night and it did not slip any buffers. That is good, but I noticed as soon as I tried to resize the main SAC window to view the Task manager beside it, the buffers slipped and were audible the entire time I was adjusting the size - 115 in a matter of seconds.

(Settings that could allow SAC as is to continue running the following test mix at the 64 x.1 buffer settings - which run me between 6 & 7ms of total Input to Output latency at either 44.1 or 48k sample rates. In my experience musicians mentally fight the noticeable latency at 128 buffer settings. Under 7ms I don't hear complaints or comments.):

• 24 Stereo ch., ea. with all EQ, Low Cut, Gate, Dynamics and one Aux Send going to a Return channel (FreeverbToo w/ Stereo Expander) 4 St. Outs,
    • 6 monitor mixes all getting their signal post FOH EQ & Dynamics, lightening load and system complexity, all using all 24 stereo In channnels, 1 St. out,
    • Studio Graphic Equalizer & Levelizer FX on all outputs

(I almost always have mostly mono mixes under 24 channels, but try to test above and beyond what I expect to need.)

Current Question again:

Thanks for all the replied comments guys, you got me to dig further and am learning how to lighten the Windows 10 system load better now.

The task manager will almost always slip buffers. You can't check buffer slips with it running.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,
    The task manager will almost always slip buffers. You can't check buffer slips with it running.
    ...this is so true!

In my experience over the last 5 years, on my stable enough SAC systems, the task manager usually only causes 3-6 slipped buffers when it starts and possibly when it is closed. Once Task Manager is running, if I refresh LIVE in SAC, I don't see any slipped buffers after that. That is what I've been seeing in my test on most of my usable systems as a norm' and is true on for the last + or - 24 hrs. of tests on the system I've discussed in this thread.
    Last edited by Nathan P; 08-27-2016 at 08:29 PM.

If you use the RealTime Priority option in SAC, the task manager should not cause slipped buffers in XP because its priority is less than that... although in Win 7, 8 and 10, the priority rating is mostly ignored so you might see some slipped buffers when it starts and runs as it steps on the SAC processing loop threads.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan P View Post
    Current Question again:

Likely video card related. I know very little about Win10 but look for display gloss/effects you can disable. If there is such a thing as 'show window contents while dragging', you can try disabling that one. Look for any fancy visual stuff you can disable.

In case you haven't checked it out, you might add this one to your reading list: http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

Note that anything I'm going to suggest assumes this machine will never see the internet.