Close

Default Waveform Display under Windows 10

On my new Windows 10 desktop PC, SAWStudio works fine in a functional sense under the new OS.

However, the Multitrack waveform display seems much more difficult to see than before.

I use a regular 1920x1080 monitor set at native resolution, which I've been using for the last 3 years under Windows 7 with no problems.

All SAWStudio fixed elements (meters, controls etc.) look sharp, but in the multitrack view, the single pixel width of the waveform displays when fully zoomed-in makes it a really eye-straining exercise to find precise edit points and visually time-align tracks.

Oddly, the waveform in the soundfile view looks fine, even when zoomed-in (although of course we have the data point blobs at full zoom in that view).

Maybe it's simply that I'm using DVI / HDMI input since rearranging my desktop, so the single-pixel dots are much sharper and apparently smaller than before, in which case I'm falling foul of superior technology!

Does anyone else find this a problem?

Alan
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-03-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Default Re: Waveform Display under Windows 10

Win 10 does offer display resolution scaling which could be set in such a way as to be defeating your native resolution and you could be suffering from LCD pixel smearing if not set truly at native resolution.

Make sure the scaling option is set to 100% in the Win 10 display properties... usually found where it offers adjusting the size of text on the screen... if set to 125% or something other than 100%, you are not effectively achieving 1920x1080.

Bob L

Hi Bob

Thanks for that, but it's all native resolution and 100% scaling here.

I simply think it's that the display is so sharp, now I'm using a short DVI lead, that the single-pixel waveform drawing is very thin.

Perversely, I suspect the pixel-smearing effect with my old analog VGA lead was actually thickening up the waveform lines and making them more readable!

It may be clearer if I could turn off region texture - is that possible?

Cheers,

Alan
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Many monitors have a sharpness setting... look thru the monitor menu and try adjusting the sharpness if you can find one.

Or... consider going back to the vga input if you can.

Bob L

Hmm... I had suspected the picture may be over-sharpened, but in DVI mode the sharpness adjustment is locked-out :-(

Maybe VGA is the way forward (or backward!)

Thanks for your responses.
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK