Close

Default OT: Capture streaming video

A friend, Ted Enberg, the son of a client, has been doing a lot of game calling (not name calling) for Stanford and has asked me to record some of these games. I recorded Stanford's women's soccer game last Saturday and posted it for him. Being an audio guy, I assumed he wanted the audio. Well, it turns out he wanted video.

Is there a good program, at a comfortable price, that can capture streaming video off the Net???

Thanks,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Default Re: OT: Capture streaming video

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    A friend, Ted Enberg, the son of a client, has been doing a lot of game calling (not name calling) for Stanford and has asked me to record some of these games. I recorded Stanford's women's soccer game last Saturday and posted it for him. Being an audio guy, I assumed he wanted the audio. Well, it turns out he wanted video.

Is there a good program, at a comfortable price, that can capture streaming video off the Net???

Thanks,
    Bill

You should be able to use VLC and better yet its free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

It depends on the website where the video is, where it is hosted...
    According to the case, I use the following freewares: Free Download Manager, Orbit Downloader or RealPlayer.
    I also bought Replay Media Catcher by Applian Technologies few years ago, when it was discounted to about $ 29: it is a very good software!
    Unfortunately it is currently $ 49.95. You can try it for free and, if you're conviced, wait a promotion.
    Last edited by Philippe M; 09-07-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have VLC and didn't know it would capture streaming video. I'll have to look at it more closely. I got it because I needed to play back and transcode odd video formats. That thing will play almost anything!

It'll be the live stream from Stanford's website. I want to capture various sporting events that Ted will be announcing. Replay sounds interesting too. Has anybody tried Movavi? It's rated better than Camtasia at a fraction of the cost.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions

Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) Studio has great screen capture facility if you can get the streamed program to play full-screen (ideally on a second monitor). It's really versatile - and free! Ideal for screen capture for tutorials etc. as well.
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Thanks Alan, I'll have a look.

What would make it easier on me, or whoever will be doing the capture, would be if the program could be set to start and end at certain times. Any programs with that feature? Maybe? Possibly???

Bill Corkery Productions

Blog Entries

If you are on a PC Camtastia and if you are on a Mac Screenflow

Thanks all. That OBS program seems very robust with lots of options. I took a serious look at Movavi and it has a start and stop time, it has a simple interface with some powerful options so I gave it a try this weekend and it did a great job capturing a couple of volleyball games. The downside is there's no specific time for a match to end so I'll have to set it long, hopefully long enough and chop off any excess.

Bill Corkery Productions