Close

Default Problem with Sonnox Oxford Restoration Plugs

The plugins work in a current session, but when the session is reloaded, pressing play will immediately crash SAW/. Trying to save the session will crash it. If instead you click on the Oxford plugs they will open, but with a corrupted settings message & they open and reset. If you do this for all Oxford plugins in the session, it will play and save, but then you must go through the same routine the next time. Unfortunately, for the film I am working on presently, I REALLY need to use them, as they work better than the izotope suite for many chores. I have tried using Chainer & Metaplug to wrap within SAW with the same results.

Help!
    Michael McInnis Productions

Default Re: Problem with Sonnox Oxford Restoration Plugs

Have you tried loading an empty sawstudio session first, no plugins just a tiny file with silence, and then load the crashing session, I used to have similar issues with different VST plugins crashing and since I follow this routine no more problems!

worth a try..
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

I will try that. Thanks. I also should mention I have trouble with the 64 bit version in the j-bridge wrapper as well.

Hi Guys,
    I am having the same problem since upgrading to iLok2 (last week). I have been using Sonnox Restore G4 version successfully in SawStudio for the past year. Now that I have G5 installed, I am also experiencing this crashing issue.

As Michael said, when one first adds and then modifies Sonnox VST plugin parameters all is fine. Try to play the edl with the plugin and SS crashes. I also cannot remove the plugin when in the SS job; SS crashes. Robert's suggestion didn't work for me, unless I didn't understand what was meant. At first I thought it was because of the .ini files in the SS VST folder may be referring to different/new locations after uninstall of G4 and install of G5. I did modify that code by removing "(x86)" and back to no avail. I do not remember Sonnox plugs installing into the Steinberg folder in both Program Files and Program Files (x86) with the G4 version.

For me it isn't a deal breaker, because I mostly use Acon Restoration Suite, with which I get similar results to Sonnox Restore....and I didn't do much editing in my latest edl version. Obviously, I could just roll back to the G4 version, although I was enjoying the lower CPU hit of G5.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,
    _todd

OK, troubleshooting this a little more
    I have ensured my .ini file points to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Sonnox\Oxford DeNoiser.dll [RETURN]

Open an edl with a Sonnox G5 plug

edl loads

scenario1
    if play is attempted [SPACEBAR] = SS crash

scenario 2
    if dbl clk to open vst UI on relevant track = WARNING! dialog "Corrupted Data Settings For This Plugin Pleases Reset Parameters!
    clk OK > VST Plugin opens; Preset is set to default > play & save is possible as is normal SS operation BUT any parameter adjustments or preset loading appears to become corrupted when the edl is next launched. At least, it is possible to delete the plugin from the job. The first time i tried to delete the plugin from the edl, SS crashed.

I haven't the time just now to continue more scenarios, because I need to mix :-)

thanks again,
    _todd
    Last edited by Todd R; 02-23-2017 at 08:31 AM.

So, ongoing info from me:

Yesterday I was experiencing buffer underruns in my current film audio mixing. I eventually tracked it down to the new iLok2.

I have zero iLok plugs running in the job in question. I did try out Sonnox Restore G5 and the new iLok2 in this particular job, but after the crashes I explained in this thread, I was able to remove said plugin and return to mixing.

I started having slow downs and underruns with MT load at around 60%. TB Barricade on my output track and the avi in the video viewer were flickering and clicks and crackles were rearing their ugly heads during playback. I was suspecting video issues (which I am not so good at tracking down). Removal of the iLok2 has returned my system to as normal power with no underruns.

I have also been getting an iLok error on reboots since I began use of the iLok2 last week: ...iLok cannot be shared on two computers.... error warning. I may have had this this error warning dialogue box with iLok1 one or two times; even so, Sonnox Restore G4 just worked with iLok1.

I googled the error message and found a user or two stating that some usb buses remain powered even when the computer is switched off and, that after reboots, iLok assumes that it is trying to be used by more than one computer. The post in question said just remove and replace the iLok every time you reboot. I haven't tested that suggestion yet. Nor I have I tested whether or not the iLok plugs will work when reopening SS edls using this "method".

My audio laptop's usb connections have been unreliable and I use a very cheap usb hub connected to the usb/esata hybrid port on my low spec Sony VAIO VPCEBJ0E i3 with 8GB ram & SSD. The only connected devices to this hub are mouse, qwerty keyboard and iLok. This machine has been working for a couple of years now with my film audio mixing...sure there is the occasional troubleshooting required, but has been mostly very stable as long as the internal wifi adapter is switched off.

So, I will try over the next weeks to see if unplugging the iLok between reboots cures this preset corruption we have been talking about in this thread.

cheers,
    _todd

OK,
    I can confirm this is a problem with the DeNoiser G5 plugin using iLok2. I would guess it is a Sonnox coding issue. The DeClicker functions as expected without crash on playback or dropping the last saved preset. I have not yet tested the DeBuzzer.

Therefore, I would guess it is highly unlikely the iLok2 is at fault; all problems point to the DeNoiser plugin. I have informed Sonnox Support, referred Sonnox to this thread :-) .

Hmmmmm...and I just so happened to look at the version numbers on the installers I have for my Restore plugs; DeClicker has a different version number:
    DeBuzzer: NATDEBP5_2.01.1_(r018).exe
    DeClicker: NATDECP5_2.01.01_(r007).exe
    DeNoiser: NATDENP5_2.01.1_(r005).exe

Something I haven't said yet is I always use 32-bit plugins with SawStudio; 64-bit plugs never seem to work; therefore, the Sonnox Restore plugin versions I am using and talking about here are VST 32-bit.

cheers,
    _todd
    Last edited by Todd R; 02-28-2017 at 05:38 AM. Reason: updated comment; more pertinent info

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    OK,
    64-bit plugs never seem to work; therefore, the Sonnox Restore plugin versions I am using and talking about here are VST 32-bit.

cheers,
    _todd

64-bit plug-ins will never work, SAW/SAC are 32-bit applications. Only way to use 64-bit plug-ins is through 3rd party tools like JBridge.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

So, I have started a ticket with Sonnox regarding this issue with Sonnox Restore G5 DeNoiser 32 bit VST. Also, I can confirm, only the G5 DeNoiser exhibits this crashing behavior; the DeClicker and DeBuzzer function as expected/ as normal for me in SawStudio (on return tracks; I haven't tried these Sonnox Restore G5 plugins on output or input tracks, so far; G4 works fine ime).

As requested by Tim at Sonnox, I cobbled together an edl and provided assets and sent to Sonnox support.

Here is the response I received:

"Hi Todd,

Thank you for sending these assets! I can now reproduce the crash, using your EDL. We'll look deeper into this as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, we have many ongoing projects at the moment, so it's unlikely that we'll be able to fix this bug within the next few weeks. I'll be back in touch as soon as I know more.

All the best,"

Thanks Tim, if you find yourself reading this :-) So, hopefully Sonnox Support can get to it sooner rather than later :-) I may have to try to run two iloks and use the G4 DeNoiser for my current project. That said, my go to denoiser for EVERY project is an older version of Acon Restoration suite anyway (because I found issues with versions after 1.5.1 in SawStudio. I talked to the developer at Acon, but I couldn't give time to beta testing cuz I gots projects to deliver). :-) Stian at Acon has been nothing but nice to me.

thanks for everyone's input,
    _todd

I still have instability with all of the plugs. Sometimes they will load OK. Sometimes they will only load if I am in Live mode. I am now in the habit of rendering tracks immediately and removing them before saving.