Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default SS & Waves ... marriage made in hell!

Since my first Waves v4 plugin, I've struggled (like many) to get SS and Waves to play nice together. As of mid-November, 2016, I had 50+ Waves v9.2 Plugins working on my Win10 64bit set-up. Then, Waves came out with some deals I couldn't refuse and I went on a shopping binge.

I'd love to tell you my happy ending; but, since I first tried to load the new stuff, I've not had a single Waves plugin work in SS.

I can't be the only one who gave into Waves' temptation...only to get (well, you know).

HELP! Has anyone solved this latest riddle. shell2vst doesn't work with Win10. I have the latest version of VSTWrapperBuilder (which worked back in September). In the past, I could just copy-paste from the WaveShell-VST 9.2 folder (never had to do ini files). Now, that doesn't work with the new 9.6 folder (and, ini files don't work, either).

Is it Waves, a Windows update ... or, just me? I don't mind being told that I'm doing something stupid (or, not doing something obvious). Anyone have a step-by-step on this?

Yes, I can mix-around Waves; but, I do a lot of advertising mixing and that means a lot of minor changes to on-going campaigns. It's hard to explain to a client why the re-mix sounds great ... just, not like the original did 6 months ago.

I've Googled 'til my fingers are tired, and I can't find anything written since mid last year.

HELP!

Default Re: SS & Waves ... marriage made in hell!

Quote Originally Posted by RASmith View Post
    Since my first Waves v4 plugin, I've struggled (like many) to get SS and Waves to play nice together. As of mid-November, 2016, I had 50+ Waves v9.2 Plugins working on my Win10 64bit set-up. Then, Waves came out with some deals I couldn't refuse and I went on a shopping binge.

I'd love to tell you my happy ending; but, since I first tried to load the new stuff, I've not had a single Waves plugin work in SS.

I can't be the only one who gave into Waves' temptation...only to get (well, you know).

HELP! Has anyone solved this latest riddle. shell2vst doesn't work with Win10. I have the latest version of VSTWrapperBuilder (which worked back in September). In the past, I could just copy-paste from the WaveShell-VST 9.2 folder (never had to do ini files). Now, that doesn't work with the new 9.6 folder (and, ini files don't work, either).

Is it Waves, a Windows update ... or, just me? I don't mind being told that I'm doing something stupid (or, not doing something obvious). Anyone have a step-by-step on this?

Yes, I can mix-around Waves; but, I do a lot of advertising mixing and that means a lot of minor changes to on-going campaigns. It's hard to explain to a client why the re-mix sounds great ... just, not like the original did 6 months ago.

I've Googled 'til my fingers are tired, and I can't find anything written since mid last year.

HELP!

This really isn't a SS issue. If you need to be able to edit work you did 6 months ago or 1 year go or 2 years ago, your going to have to maintain a system that keeps that specific functionality. Every time you upgrade anything you risk destabilizing or breaking previous functionality.

The cool thing about software and general purpose computers is things can evolve over time as software is updated to do new things.

The uncool thing about software and general purpose computers is that things can evolve over time and break or remove perfectly usable functionality.

Pick your poison.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

My solution to Waves...and 3rd party Plugins in general...has been to adopt a 2nd DAW to be my platform of choice. Slate plugins in particular, hardly work without crashing SawStudio.

I struggled for a LONG time with this decision. I did not want to go thru the hassle of learning a new system. But after banging my head against a wall for a month and a half trying every concievable option, Tip or trick to get SS working with these plugs...I gave up and moved forward with the 2nd DAW platform.

So now...I have things I use SS for and things I use my other DAW for. It's the only solution if you want to use some of the Waves and any of the Slate products.

Or...learn to live with the reality that SAWStudio works very , very well with it's Native plugins and a few select 3rd party offerings...and get to work!

Wish I had a better suggestion...
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Or...learn to live with the reality that SAWStudio works very , very well with it's Native plugins and a few select 3rd party offerings...and get to work!

Wish I had a better suggestion...
    Not to nitpick, 'cause you certainly have valid points and the experience to back them up...
    But SAW certainly works with much more than "a few select 3rd party offerings", wouldn't you say?
    I would.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Not to nitpick, 'cause you certainly have valid points and the experience to back them up...
    But SAW certainly works with much more than "a few select 3rd party offerings", wouldn't you say?
    I would.
    I totally agree. I work with several plugins from different companies without problems.
    Moreover, I have tested many others equally conclusively.

I too would like to see how Windows 10 and the Shell extraction utility get working....I have not tried it with Windows 10. I am running Windows 7 with Waves 8 Platinum and Waves 9 (CLA Compressors) concurrently on the same machine without any obvious issues in SAW. One related issue I ran into just a couple weeks ago is that you cannot downgrade a current Waves license due to a limitation on the ilok website apparently.

I have moved away from UAD plugins. I still run Sonalksis' eq, compressor, and limiter (the older versions). Stillwell 1973. A couple of Overtone plugins too.

Just did a reasonabe Melodyne 4 upgrade to the full multitrack version (Studio).

I use a lot of SAW's built in dynamics and eq plus Anwida Spazio reverb. I would be very comfortable mixing an album with those tools alone. Confidence in the stability of the the system as a whole is paramount to me.

7. Default Re: SS & Waves ... marriage made in hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    I too would like to see how Windows 10 and the Shell extraction utility get working....I have not tried it with Windows 10. I am running Windows 7 with Waves 8 Platinum and Waves 9 (CLA Compressors) concurrently on the same machine without any obvious issues in SAW. One related issue I ran into just a couple weeks ago is that you cannot downgrade a current Waves license due to a limitation on the ilok website apparently.

I have moved away from UAD plugins. I still run Sonalksis' eq, compressor, and limiter (the older versions). Stillwell 1973. A couple of Overtone plugins too.

Just did a reasonabe Melodyne 4 upgrade to the full multitrack version (Studio).

I use a lot of SAW's built in dynamics and eq plus Anwida Spazio reverb. I would be very comfortable mixing an album with those tools alone. Confidence in the stability of the the system as a whole is paramount to me.
    Have you tried to run ShellVst in Compatibility mode with Win7 Settings?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I would.
    I would say that...yes. SAW does work with many plugins. You can use a variety of Plugin Hosts and other approaches to get a wide palette of plugins to use with SAW.

It does not play nice with some of the Waves and most of the Slate Digital offerings. These are the tools that are setting new standards in the Field of Recording.

Do you need them to make great sounding recordings? No...SAW sounds great and does a lot of things some of the other DAW's can't...and for that reason you may wish to make it your DAW of choice

For me it came down to a decision...to use the professional tools employed by my Mentors and teachers in the recording Industry....or resign myself to not being able to use them with SAW...and to carry on and use Bob's platform as it stands.

For me...I have chosen to split my efforts between the 2 DAW's : Reaper and SAWStudio. It works for me. I respect and understand Bob's reasoning for not making SAW compatible with some of the plugin Platforms.

And on we go!
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Hmmm. In Win10 64bit and not having any issues with shell2vst or Waves & SawStudio.

Try moving shell2vst.exe into Saw's VST folder and do the extraction there by dropping the Waves file on top of it...doesn't work? Please give the symptoms.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Oh, and make sure you are using 32bit plugins.
    Michael McInnis Productions