Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RME interface

Default RME interface

I posted this on the SAC site as well:

At only $499 this looks fantastic: http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/new-p...nterface/47095
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: RME interface

Cool, man.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Cool Re: RME interface

Anybody got any plans on trying it with SAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    Anybody got any plans on trying it with SAC?
    Butch on the SAC forum is lamenting it as old technology, and potentially physically problematic. Check out the thread:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...rface-from-RME
    Becket, Massachusetts

Not as Old tech just have had USB problems with lighting controls and a time or 2 with SAC
    The Raydat cards have been rock solid
    I finally got a small portable system with firewire working with a ART Tubefire8 and a Think Pad with win XP but still won't trust it for anything critical
    If anybody can make USB work it would be RME

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    ... If anybody can make USB work it would be RME

Butch
    Boy! You got that one right! I haven't tried RME USB yet, but I sure do enjoy the solid performance I've gotten for 12 years now with their PCI card and the Digiface/Multiface boxes.

I wish I understood more about how Behringer has managed to make their 32-ch x32 system work over USB on my Lenovo x60 Thinkpad with SAC/SAW, even with Win7 on it (It was originally an XP machine). I've recorded at least 6-8 32-ch concerts with that combo and not so much as a hic-up!

I'm stuck at 24 channels with the RME pcmcia card and Digiface on the same machine, only because I can't get more than 24 with that combo.

I'm sure that SAC is a major reason that I can manage recording 24-32 simultaneous channels on that x60.
    Wonder if it would make the difference for almost any USB device/system?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    Not as Old tech just have had USB problems with lighting controls and a time or 2 with SAC
    The Raydat cards have been rock solid
    I finally got a small portable system with firewire working with a ART Tubefire8 and a Think Pad with win XP but still won't trust it for anything critical
    If anybody can make USB work it would be RME

Butch
    A lot will depend on the system its connected to. Mac OS X has a pretty solid USB implementation. Windows, not so much, although I would expect win10 to have improved over XP.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Boy! You got that one right! I haven't tried RME USB yet, but I sure do enjoy the solid performance I've gotten for 12 years now with their PCI card and the Digiface/Multiface boxes.

I wish I understood more about how Behringer has managed to make their 32-ch x32 system work over USB on my Lenovo x60 Thinkpad with SAC/SAW, even with Win7 on it (It was originally an XP machine). I've recorded at least 6-8 32-ch concerts with that combo and not so much as a hic-up!

I'm stuck at 24 channels with the RME pcmcia card and Digiface on the same machine, only because I can't get more than 24 with that combo.

I'm sure that SAC is a major reason that I can manage recording 24-32 simultaneous channels on that x60.
    Wonder if it would make the difference for almost any USB device/system?
    I, too, have both the Digiface and an X32 (Rack). I've had solid results with both on my old XP laptop. I gotta wonder what would happen if we used both at once. Not that I have much of a need for 56 channels. I'm usually good with between 16 and 24.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I, too, have both the Digiface and an X32 (Rack). I've had solid results with both on my old XP laptop. I gotta wonder what would happen if we used both at once. Not that I have much of a need for 56 channels. I'm usually good with between 16 and 24.
    I will need to remember to give that a try next time I'm on the x32 system..... a couple weeks from now at least.
    IIRC, the x32 may restrict my choice of output monitoring to just it - as in, I can't use the onboard headphone out put to monitor. But I also have not figured out how to monitor the recording in SAW through the x32 either and simply monitor the x32 live inputs through its headphone section and rely otherwise on the SAW/SAC meters for levels and overs... I never get enough time with the system to really dig into the monitoring issue.

I will check it out and get back to you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I will need to remember to give that a try next time I'm on the x32 system..... a couple weeks from now at least.
    IIRC, the x32 may restrict my choice of output monitoring to just it - as in, I can't use the onboard headphone out put to monitor. But I also have not figured out how to monitor the recording in SAW through the x32 either and simply monitor the x32 live inputs through its headphone section and rely otherwise on the SAW/SAC meters for levels and overs... I never get enough time with the system to really dig into the monitoring issue.

I will check it out and get back to you on that.
    I'd be interested to hear what you learn. I, too, rarely have enough time to dig in and figure things out. Usually only enough time to get it to do the bare minimum of what I need. So far, with the X32 Rack it's been only tracking at my band's gigs, so no monitoring needed. I hit REC and walk away.

It occurs to me, though, that you can't use more than one "set" of ASIO devices at a time, can ya? That is, you have to select the X32 ASIO ins or the RME ASIO ins in SAW's driver setup. You can't use both at the same time. Am I wrong? Are there any hosts that will allow combining devices of different makes like that?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-17-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts