Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RME interface

Default Re: RME interface

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I'dbei

I'd be interested to hear what learn. I, too, rarely have enough time to dig in and figure things out. Usually only enough time to get it to do the bare minimum of what I need. So far, with the X32 Rack it's been only tracking at my band's gigs, so no monitoring needed. I hit REC and walk away.

It occurs to me, though, that you can't use more than one "set" of ASIO devices at a time, can ya? That is, you have to select the X32 ASIO ins or the RME ASIO ins in SAW's driver setup. You can't use both at the same time. Am I wrong? Are there any hosts that will allow combining devices of different makes like that?
    I think you're right about the non-multiclient asio situation..... But I seem to remember reading that there is multiclient asio out there..... I don't know - it's a fog over here most of the time.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Yes, Steinberg made a multi client ASIO driver back in 2010 - Komplete Audio 6 and the Steinberg UR128M are multi client.

Also, TC Electronics, the M-audio Profire 2626 and others...but it also really depends on the multi client capabilities of the device driver itself.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 02-16-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Yes, Steinberg made a multi client ASIO driver back in 2010 - Komplete Audio 6 and the Steinberg UR128M are multi client.

Also, TC Electronics, the M-audio Profire 2626 and others...but it also really depends on the multi client capabilities of the device driver itself.
    Dell -- how are the "multi client capabilities of the device driver itself" a different thing? Isn't the driver the only thing we're talking about, here?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I think you're right about the non-multiclient asio situation..... But I seem to remember reading that there is multiclient asio out there..... I don't know - it's a fog over here most of the time.
    I don't think I'm talking about multi-client capability. I think I'm talking about multi-driver capability within a single host. That's different than multi-client, isn't it?

I've seen multiple MME drivers appear simultaneously in a host. I don't believe I've seen multiple ASIO drivers appear simultaneously in a host. I've always had to choose between them (pick one). Like in SAW.

That's what we'd need in order to use, say, 24 channels of RME and 32 channels of X32 at the same time, right?

Then there's the issue of getting them all on the same clock. Oy.
    Becket, Massachusetts

I don't think I'm talking about multi-client capability. I think I'm talking about multi-driver capability within a single host. That's different than multi-client, isn't it?

I've seen multiple MME drivers appear simultaneously in a host. I don't believe I've seen multiple ASIO drivers appear simultaneously in a host. I've always had to choose between them (pick one). Like in SAW.

That's what we'd need in order to use, say, 24 channels of RME and 32 channels of X32 at the same time, right?

Then there's the issue of getting them all on the same clock. Oy.
    They may not all appear automatically in the host, but you can manually choose them from the drop-down lists, right?
    I can see and choose the soundmax driver after the RME asio channels have been auto-populated.

I don't know much at all about the definitions of the terms we use, beyond a very general meaning, so I'm definitely not the one to ask about multi-client vs. multi-driver, etc.

Then, as you say, there's the issue of clock sync between systems. I will definitely need to remember that, when I get a chance to test out the RME/Behringer combo in a couple weeks. Note to self - bring bnc cables!

Only 1 ASIO device can be used
    You can cheat the system sort of by using ASIO4all but it adds a little latency

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    They may not all appear automatically in the host, but you can manually choose them from the drop-down lists, right?
    I can see and choose the soundmax driver after the RME asio channels have been auto-populated.
    Woah. When you choose the Soundmax driver, the RME ASIO assignments remain intact? And then you can add Soundmax assignments to that? I had no idea. I assumed that selecting a new ASIO driver wipes any existing driver assignments. Have you tested this?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    Only 1 ASIO device can be used
    You can cheat the system sort of by using ASIO4all but it adds a little latency

Butch
    Well, that's what I was thinking...

ASIO4ALL might not be a bad approach if you don't need low latency (e.g., recording only). But then you're using the MME drivers for the different hardware, right? MME into ASIO4ALL?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Woah. When you choose the Soundmax driver, the RME ASIO assignments remain intact? And then you can add Soundmax assignments to that? I had no idea. I assumed that selecting a new ASIO driver wipes any existing driver assignments. Have you tested this?
    Haven't tried it recently, but I will later this afternoon.
    I just thought I remembered being able to do so..... then again, I mentioned before that I haven't been able to monitor the laptop while recording from the x32 either..... I will post back after a test of the RME today.

Well, that's what I was thinking...

ASIO4ALL might not be a bad approach if you don't need low latency (e.g., recording only). But then you're using the MME drivers for the different hardware, right? MME into ASIO4ALL?
    Yes but it seems to bypass much of the MME stuff and has much lower latency than just running MME

Butch