Close

Default XML Import/ Reconcile

In my business, the task I spend the most time on is mixing audio to supplied xml sequences from video editors. Using SS, I never start a mix project until picture lock is confirmed because the only way I know of to get an xml sequence into SAW is using AA Translator to convert the (usually Premiere) xml sequence to SAW edl. Sometimes, this can be an issue because I am always the final process and sometimes some back and forth between the audio mixer and the video editor before picture is decided would be beneficial in determining the best A/V combo.

Further, I have worked on training a couple of interested audiophiles to help me with my workload. At the university with which i do much of my work, their Audio and Music Technology department teaches students to use Logic. I attempted to train one of the graduates to do what I do each day and Logic is simply not up to the task. If you want to make music with midi, fine, go for it with Logic. The main problem with Logic is the waveform height zoom is insufficient to see an inhale or low level sounds at -25db or lower. The audiophile I was working with agreed and we moved on to trying out Reaper.

The key feature that Reaper has as related to this post is the ability to reconcile xml files. I have not tried it yet....I am too busy mixing with SSL! There are a lot of things I wasn't impressed with while testing Reaper. The deal-breaker for me with Reaper is the equivalent to SS's soundfile view does not allow for waveform height zoom; which SS is perfect at doing and is critical to my daily work.

The other thing Reaper has going for it is price point. The audiophiles I typically encounter are trained in an Apple/Mac/Logic fashion, and Reaper is cross-platform, hence my likelihood of finding more local workforce to help my company grow its audio branch (currently, just me). It's an unfortunate situation, because I love SAW; it is what I know and it works so fantastically.

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone here is already using a workaround reconciling xml in Reaper and importing into SAW. It would be awesome if SAW had that capability, but I would not assume to to request such a functionality.

thanks for any input,
    _todd

Default Re: XML Import/ Reconcile

Thanks Stashu.

I've been using AA Translator for years. I AA Translator to convert xmls to SawStudio edl.

To IMPORT xml and/or RECONCILE a changed/updated xml is what I am asking about...or a workaround.

As it is now, once work has started on SawStudio edl from an AA Translator converted Premiere xml, any later changes to said Premiere sequence would have to be started from scratch. The ability to import an xml into a DAW would allow for Premiere sequence changes. Currently the only way I know how to do this is to start over from the beginning. Therefore, using SAW, best practice means picture lock must be signed off before starting any job.

Something that might work is:
    1) Convert xml to SAW edl
    2) setup job & edit & mix
    3) Convert SAW edl to Reaper .rpp
    4) Import/ Reconcile new version of xml
    5) Convert .rpp to SAW .edl

I haven't tried it. I was wondering if anyone here has tried a scenario like this and whether or not it works. I could envision automation going haywire :-)

That said, the AA Translator Conversion Guide xls seems to say the above scenario should work :-)
    Last edited by Todd R; 02-28-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: update after further research

Hi Stashu,
    Interesting stuff, thanks for your help :-)

I understand where you are coming from.

My questions are related to my company's internal systems. My company, brandAnonymous, is a creative agency who produces various creative, mainly short films/ ads for paying clients and also for our own marketing and philanthropy. We are artists as well, and are compelled to produce art for art's sake :-) Our film productions are carried out "in house", unless we have a client whose budgets will allow professional day rates (so far, extremely rare).

Just because clients might be unable to pay for pro audio doesn't mean I will allow my company's productions to be delivered or released without the quality of the audio being as high as I can make it. I wish it wasn't this way, yet, that is currently the lay of the land in our market. We want to have the best possible creatives on our projects. I would suspect everyone feels that way. All too often commissioning clients just don't know what is required to get that Ferrari they envision in their mind's eye with a budget for the the tires of a Fiat. One way we can attempt to get through to them is to keep delivering lower quality despite our insistence to utilize true professionals and pay for said quality. Personally, I'd rather not live in London or LA and be in that rat race anymore. 20+ years of it has been enough, thanks :-)

So the reality of what currently happens at my company is the producer, video editor and director and all other required vocations are a part of our "in house" systems as it currently stands. In that chain, I am the audio person. So far, I am the only person in my company who is willing to dedicate the time and effort to delivering finished work. We have very close ties to The Cambridge School of Art and to its Film an TV course. We work with students and graduates all the time with incredibly talented people. Sadly, so far I have found no others as interested as I in quality audio post production for our projects & I have been trying.

I use SawStudio for mixing audio to picture.

Anyhow, I will give the scenario I described a try and see what happens. If AA Translator can handle this xml reconciliation translation, I will find out because I is gonna try it on our next film. I look forward to seeing how that goes :-) I would rather work in SAW than in Reaper.

I previously said I thought automation would go haywire....but what I was thinking and what I meant to write is that the plugins may well be a mess...or do not port at all...I won't know until I try :-)

Further, if someone has tried the scenario I described, I would love to hear about your experience.

cheers,
    _todd

I usually just manually reconcile my session to the changes.

The layers feature can help with that. I put the new video on a different layer so it is easy to A/B compare and find the areas that have changed and then reconcile the tracks. I usually have handles on the original files and can quickly "heal" gaps by opening up the regions.

It is also possible to put the second XML/AAF/OMF translation onto a different layer and use that new layer as a guide for selecting and snapping the original regions into their new positions.

I don't expect you will ever see an easy way of having your work automatically re-conform.
    Michael McInnis Productions