Close

Default Better Understanding Of How The SS Video Viewer Works

I wonder if there is more in-depth information on understanding how SAW's video viewer decides on which formats can be brought into a session. I have the SS manual on my desk in printed form (albeit the 2001 revision (with screenshots)) and the latest version in pdf on my machine.

I mix audio to video every day in SSL and converting to Microsoft AVI1 is the only format I can successfully convert to for use within SSL. Filenames cannot have any spaces and some characters are also to be avoided in filenames. Another issue is the size of the avi files can be massive compared to MP4.

The conversion programs I use are Adobe Media Encoder CS4 and Any Video Converter. Handbrake I have never had any success with and VLC I use all the time, but I never have much success with media conversion.

I don't intend to complain, here....just looking for knowledge from this very knowledgeable group...plus, I am like you all here, in the DAW minority as a SAW user for many many years...I am also experiencing all the prodding to move to Reaper.

Default Re: Better Understanding Of How The SS Video Viewer Works

If you are going to do serious video work on a PC you will need one of the codec packs made for Microsoft DirectShow. There are two common ones on the SAWStudio misc downloads area... ffdshow and another codec collection. Lately I have found that the K-Lite collection (search the web) installs and is working very nicely for most of the current HD file formats (mp4, divx, xvid, h264... etc). This will allow you to use many different file formats... but... when using the video viewer on the Multitrack timeline for video playback, a very important part of the process is how well the file seeks... most mp4 and other highly compressed formats use keyframes every few hundred frames... these are the only fully contained frames within the video... the in between few hundred frames are only partial information and depend on the previous frame to complete the picture. These can cause very jagged seeking results which can load the cpu heavily as it plays and seeks causing dropped frames during playback in SAW because seeking to a frame can sometimes result in hundreds of frames having to be assembled before getting to the frame you are seeking.

I have found that certain formats are a better choice for use on the timeline... with very smooth seeking capabilities... for HD files... try using an xvid or divx format... you will see the difference as you scroll the cursor thru the timeline in how smoothly the file seeks.

Bob L

I use PavTube to convert MP4 to xvid encoded AVI files. The only issue I have is that PavTube can add 1 or 2 frames to the beginning of the converted file, so it is best to get a -2 pop/flash reference from the editor to re-establish sync.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Thanks Bob & Michael :-)

Yes, Michael, I find Adobe Media Encoder CS4 will add 1 frame at the beginning; Any Video Converter I suspect adding at frame at the top as well. This is not a huge issue for me. We use low res mp4 converted to avi mainly for identifying vision that is in sync and for the director who usually wants to see the whole thing for sign off.

To clarify, I don't do any video editing on my audio machine.
    I receive an xml>convert to SS edl via AA Translator>convert a low res mp4 to avi & add said to the SS multitrack>mix the audio>send mix down(s) back to the video editor and the video editor lays back the mixed audio to the picture. The single frame discrepancy is avoided as long as I don't move anything out of sync....which SAW is brilliant at safeguarding against. If we need to move sync, we confer with the video editor so they know what to change their end when they get the mixed audio from me.

Bob, thanks for the explanation about keyframes, so it seems clear to me to stick with the avi files so the chasing frame accuracy is respected. Navigation and playback in SAW and comms with the video editor for fixes their end is much more important to my process than playing back a compressed video file format in SAW during the audio mix.

I have looked into ffdshow, downloaded and installed it....but how to manipulate it is not very obvious to me. There are so many file format linkages to consider with the ffdshow installer and UI, an encyclopedia of knowledge would be required....so I'll just have to trickle that knowledge into my little brain as I go along.

My main reason for posting was more because about 30% of the time, after converting a low res video file to avi I get a "Trouble Building video graph" warning dialogue from SAW. Usually, but not always, this is due to unscrupulous character use in the file name provided by the video editor. Nowadays I rename as a matter of course.

thanks again,
    _todd