Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1u computer chassis to run SAC/SAW via USB3 interface.

Another thing I am considering is buying or building a 1u computer that can run SAC and SAW via a USB interface, like RME Fireface UFX or their new DigiFace that does 32in/32out via 4 ADAT lightpipe channesl. In looking at comupter options, I notice a lot of small 1u or module-based computers, many of which may even be silet. It these have a solid USB bus, I could run my Fireface UFX or the new RME Digiface USB. Any ideas or recommendations?

Default Re: 1u computer chassis to run SAC/SAW via USB3 interface.

Building a good 1U chassis machine isn't as easy as you might think. You need to get a motherboard designed for the job, which can be expensive or poor performance.

You'd probably be better looking at an Intel Nuc or one of the many similar compact machines. Tiny, easily mounted using the vesa mount options and with solid USB or even thunderbolt options.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    Another thing I am considering is buying or building a 1u computer that can run SAC and SAW via a USB interface, like RME Fireface UFX or their new DigiFace that does 32in/32out via 4 ADAT lightpipe channesl. In looking at comupter options, I notice a lot of small 1u or module-based computers, many of which may even be silet. It these have a solid USB bus, I could run my Fireface UFX or the new RME Digiface USB. Any ideas or recommendations?

If your going to go to the trouble to build a system, don't cripple it with a USB interface just to get to ADAT, put a PCI card in it (RayDAT, or similar).

I also don't recommend 1U cases. Fan size is too small and have to spin at ridiculous speeds to move enough air, making them very noisy.

Going up to 1.5U makes a massive difference.

look at http://www.gtweb.net/products/p1685/...Chassis--Black as an example.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

I also have had to use 1U computers for some of our AV and lighting business. I agree that you can have heat problems unless you use very noisy fans. It's simply a mater of the amount of air in the chassis and the available fan sizes. You need to move a lot of air because it is such a small case and very packed with components. Small fans that move a lot of air create more noise. I have a control room computer that is very quiet because it is water cooled so we could move all the fans to the center of the 4U case and use three 120mm high quality fans. They can mover pretty slow because of the size.

You also might have a look at the new Motu LP32. I have used Motu interfaces with SAC for a few years with no problems. I like that the LP32 can connect to 4 ADAT devices but also has front panel metering and an AVB port so you could add to the system if your needs grow. I have one of their AVB interfaces and love the online web control interface.

Kurt

Blog Entries

cgrafx,
    I also don't recommend 1U cases...1.5U makes a massive difference.
    ...How true this is!...Is 3U not more preferable though?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    cgrafx,
    ...How true this is!...Is 3U not more preferable though?
    Not in a mobile setup. More weight and increased space.

1U case takes 40mm fans
    1.5U case takes 60mm fans

see below as an example (keep in mind every fan will have their own CFM and noise characteristics).

1U - 40mm Panaflo FBK04F12U 9500 RPM | 9.2 CFM | 42 DBA
    1.5U - 60mm Panaflo L1 Ultra Quiet FBA06A12L | 3200 RPM | 14.1 CFM | 24 DBA

The 60mm fan spinning at 1/3 the speed of the 40 mm fan and almost half the noise, still provides 50% more air flow.

So with the right components you can get both a smaller size case and quiet cool operation.

In my case I used 65 Watt Core i5 CPUs rather than the higher TPD core i7. If I was to build a new system today, I'd probably use the core i3.

I have a 3U case in my studio setup where the space and weight are not an issue, but for my live rig, every pound and extra rack space is important.

I'm actually in the process of re-racking all of my live rig gear and I lost 4U worth of space in the process, so a 3U case would be impossible. I'm already struggling to get everything into the single 18U case as it is.

I'll post new pictures when I have it all re-assembled. (currently waiting on some cables).
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,

All that I can say, cgrafx, is that you do impeccable work!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 03-01-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    cgrafx,

All that I can say, cgrafx, is that you impeccable work!

Thanks
    Philip G.

1.5u makes your choice of motherboard easier. Most boards have an i/o socket assembly that's too tall for a 1u case. You can make it fit by bending the board slightly but...

A bigger problem than the 40mm case fans is the cpu fan. You can get low profile blowers that are very effective but noisier than the average cpu cooler.

Essentially though unless you want to get a pci card in there it's a waste of time, and money. Just buy one of the small, high performance, quiet Nuc style boxes. Done.

This will be lighter and quieter.

Anyone ever use anything like this to run SAC?

Name:  2017-02-28 17_06_15-Intel T4400 NVIDIA HTPC Slim Compact Mini PC Computer HDMI 2GB XBMC Kodi _ e.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  91.7 KB
    Last edited by Dale B; 03-01-2017 at 11:07 AM.