Close

Default ASIO resets with Focusrite Pro 40

I am using a Focusrite Pro 40, Win 7 Pro 64 bit. From time to time, I get an ASIO reset in SAW. Audio mutes, Asio resets and then audio returns. This happens regularly with the Pro 40 when I play audio files of different sampling rates, individually. It has to reset. Of course it's fine once the files are all in a session since everything plays at the rate chosen for the session. This is no big deal but it's very annoying to have this happen when I am simply working in a session and all the files are the same sample rate. What is causing this and how can I make it stop?

Blog Entries

Default Re: ASIO resets with Focusrite Pro 40

Hello,

I personally found, that not only 1, but a second replacement Pro 40 - very, very problematic.

These issues existed not matter whether I was using FireWire, or in standalone mode via ADAT.

The problems, very intermittent disconnections and random clicks and pops.

The solution...RME HDSP 9652, or the equivalent RayDat, and either an ADA-8000 or the newer ADA-8200.

No more problems...no more worries.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

I personally found, that not only 1, but a second replacement Pro 40 - very, very problematic.

These issues existed not matter whether I was using FireWire, or in standalone mode via ADAT.

The problems, very intermittent disconnections and random clicks and pops.

The solution...RME HDSP 9652, or the equivalent RayDat, and either an ADA-8000 or the newer ADA-8200.

No more problems...no more worries.

Overall, I have had very good luck with this interface. Maybe, I'll contact Focusrite about this. I have several of their interfaces, an old Sapphire LE and two 2i2 USB interfaces, all work well.
    Last edited by demodoc; 03-01-2017 at 02:40 PM.

[quote] when I play audio files of different sampling rates, individually

the SoundFile player does not offer realtime SRC, it follows the sample rate of the Region, so your sound card follows along

[quote] it's very annoying to have this happen when I am simply working in a session and all the files are the same sample rate

other software, including your web browser, could be changing the sampling rate when the Multitrack is stopped. and of course check for: driver updates, FireWire updates, clocking/master/slave settings, and discs in your cd/dvd drive. FireWire isn't perfect, either.

Last edited by rEs; 03-02-2017 at 06:57 PM.

The Process/Mixdown Export Region (no mixer processing) does provide SRC and will convert the regions on the timeline to the current MT rate.

Bob L

[QUOTE=rEs;212523][quote] when I play audio files of different sampling rates, individually

the SoundFile player does not offer realtime SRC, it follows the sample rate of the Region, so your sound card follows along

it's very annoying to have this happen when I am simply working in a session and all the files are the same sample rate

other software, including your web browser, could be changing the sampling rate when the Multitrack is stopped. and of course check for: driver updates, FireWire updates, clocking/master/slave settings, and discs in your cd/dvd drive. FireWire isn't perfect, either.

Thank you. This is some kind of Firewire issue. The Pro 40 is rather picky in this regard, it's well known for this kind of thing. I have contacted Focusrite about this too.

This problem occurs when no sample rate change is needed. All files in a session are the same and, besides, as Bob points out, SAW will play a session at whatever rate is selected, regardless of what the individual files are in the session. I don't mind waiting a beat while the Pro 40 changes sample rate when I suddenly ask it to play a file at a different rate. That' normal. What I am experiencing is not. I have already increased the buffer settings in the Pro 40's Mixcontrol driver applet. Not sure if it helped or not yet, we'll see.

I was aware that the soundfile just plays at the rate of the file...no problem at all. I was just pointing out that while that is OK, audio mutes while playing a session are not ok!
    Last edited by demodoc; 03-02-2017 at 08:32 PM.

these might help with your intermittent issue:

- check if clock and sync are correctly set, especially if you are using the FireWire and ADAT connections at the same time

- ensure the correct audio card setting is set in SAWStudio, use the specific ASIO driver for the Focusrite of course

- check if your onboard sound card is correctly setup, ie, the Windows settings for enabling/disabling the onboard sound card, as well as 'record from' etc settings, as a test try disabling the onboard sound card altogether

- unlikely, but ensure the Focusrite is not in 'standalone' mode (not sure if that is even possible when it is connected via FW)

- double check Bob's tweaks
    - disconnect any other sound card interfaces
    - turn off CD/DVD drive scanning
    - use SSD drives directly, no conventional drives, and not via USB
    - check SAWStudio's default paths and Session File Paths (File window), make sure files are not on an external USB drive
    - check SAWStudio's RAM settings for Files and Waveforms
    - check SAWStudio's settings for automatic input monitoring ('Tape style' etc)
    - check for audio feedback loops
    - unlikely, but try a different output setting for the SoundFile window
    - check for unseen automation on Tracks, Busses, and Auxes

hope that helps
    Last edited by rEs; 03-02-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rEs View Post
    these might help with your intermittent issue:

- check if clock and sync are correctly set, especially if you are using the FireWire and ADAT connections at the same time

- ensure the correct audio card setting is set in SAWStudio, use the specific ASIO driver for the Focusrite of course

- check if your onboard sound card is correctly setup, ie, the Windows settings for enabling/disabling the onboard sound card, as well as 'record from' etc settings, as a test try disabling the onboard sound card altogether

- unlikely, but ensure the Focusrite is not in 'standalone' mode (not sure if that is even possible when it is connected via FW)

- double check Bob's tweaks
    - disconnect any other sound card interfaces
    - turn off CD/DVD drive scanning
    - use SSD drives directly, no conventional drives, and not via USB
    - check SAWStudio's default paths and Session File Paths (File window), make sure files are not on an external USB drive
    - check SAWStudio's RAM settings for Files and Waveforms
    - check SAWStudio's settings for automatic input monitoring ('Tape style' etc)
    - check for audio feedback loops
    - unlikely, but try a different output setting for the SoundFile window
    - check for unseen automation on Tracks, Busses, and Auxes

hope that helps

All good advice, thanks!

And... some have asked about doing multiple regions at once... simple... place each region on its own track in the MT... then use the Export Regions (no mixer processing)... you can do 120 at once... works like a charm.

Bob L