Close

Blog Entries

Default The Dynamics Section

Hello,

Two very, very, very neophy-tiss questions...so please be gentle...

According to the SAC HelpFile, "The data next passes through the Dynamics routines (Optional)".

Q1: Does this Dynamics routine consist of three or four elements?
    For example, 1) Key Buffer, 2) Gain Reduction, 3) Gate and, 4) Compressor.

Q2: Just how "good" is the "Dynamics routine" that comes with SAC?

Thank you to all that reply?

Default Re: The Dynamics Section

A proper answer to your question requires a definition of "good". If "good" means "sounding exactly like XXX favorite classic processor", then no, it isn't. But if the definition is "Only doing what is intended by the process without otherwise coloring the sound", I would say the dynamics routines in SAW/SAC are very good. I have used the compressor a LOT to catch the occasional runaway "punched" note of a singer, and I think the result is more sonically transparent than most hardware analog compressors out there.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    A proper answer to your question requires a definition of "good".
    ....Agreed! I do understand that "goodness" is indeed, very subjective.

But if the definition is "Only doing what is intended by the process without otherwise coloring the sound", I would say the dynamics routines in SAW/SAC are very good.
    ...I appreciate that...thanks, Carey.

I will tell you how satisfied I am with the ITB compressors I have, including those in SAW/SAC:
    Years ago I sold off the analog compressors that I did own.
    The one I had that I liked best was the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor. It is the only compressor for which I had a plugin equivalent, not for its "sound" (which is pretty transparent, actually), but for its 3-layered attack/release/ratio behavior. At present, the only way I can try for something similar in the box is to chain three compressors with different attack, release, and ratio settings. The oldest historical example that I know of was the old CBS Audimax/Volumax pair, which did NOT have the transparency of either Saw/Sac dynamics or the FMR RNC.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

I use the built in comps and gates all the time UNLESS I want to color the sound but that is NOT very often
    If I do I like the RS124 abby road Altec 436

Butch