Close

Default SAW Basic Question from (sort of) Newbie

Hey, all. I'll try to make my introduction brief. You can also skip to my question in boldface below.

About 20 years ago, I purchased an early version of SAW called SAWse, which was packaged with a program called "Master Tracks Pro Audio. This version of SAW was the best mixing software I think I have ever seen, and I came to know it inside out over two decades of heavy use.

I am a telephone message-on-hold producer by trade, but i have always done A LOT of miscellaneous music and voiceover editing for various projects.I've gotta say, I created some real masterpieces on those basic four tracks in SAWse.

Now that the newer computers won't install SAWse, I've had to upgrade to SAW Studio basic, which I thought would be a little easier to pick up with. Overall, I can tell I am going to love it, having tried about a dozen other alternatives in the weeks before purchasing "Basic," but I am having trouble with a few basic things and it's making me feel like a real idiot.

I will try to ask only one question at a time. First:

There used to be a menu item called "Delete Region," which would let you click on a region in the multitrack view and then delete (or remove) it. I can't find such a function anywhere in Basic. I'm not talking about the options to "split" a region and "delete to the left" etc., I just want to be able to delete an entire region -- say, if I thought it was a good idea and then changed my mind. This seems like such a basic function...so where the heck is it?????

Thank you. More questions to follow.

Default Re: SAW Basic Question from (sort of) Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Hey, all. I'll try to make my introduction brief. You can also skip to my question in boldface below.

About 20 years ago, I purchased an early version of SAW called SAWse, which was packaged with a program called "Master Tracks Pro Audio. This version of SAW was the best mixing software I think I have ever seen, and I came to know it inside out over two decades of heavy use.

I am a telephone message-on-hold producer by trade, but i have always done A LOT of miscellaneous music and voiceover editing for various projects.I've gotta say, I created some real masterpieces on those basic four tracks in SAWse.

Now that the newer computers won't install SAWse, I've had to upgrade to SAW Studio basic, which I thought would be a little easier to pick up with. Overall, I can tell I am going to love it, having tried about a dozen other alternatives in the weeks before purchasing "Basic," but I am having trouble with a few basic things and it's making me feel like a real idiot.

I will try to ask only one question at a time. First:

There used to be a menu item called "Delete Region," which would let you click on a region in the multitrack view and then delete (or remove) it. I can't find such a function anywhere in Basic. I'm not talking about the options to "split" a region and "delete to the left" etc., I just want to be able to delete an entire region -- say, if I thought it was a good idea and then changed my mind. This seems like such a basic function...so where the heck is it?????

Thank you. More questions to follow.
    select the region and hit the delete key.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Tom... try out the Roll Over Context help function on the Info menu... it will help you with the basics... all you would have to do is click on a region in the roll over help and it would instantly tell you everything you need to know on how to manipulate that region.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    select the region and hit the delete key.
    FWIW, you can also click on the region in the Region View window and hit the delete key. That will delete all instances of the region. Doing it in the MT will only delete that individual region entry (instance). Depends on exactly what you want to do.

There's a bit of learning curve going from the old SAW to the new, but once you get comfy, it's pretty slick.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Tom... try out the Roll Over Context help function on the Info menu... it will help you with the basics... all you would have to do is click on a region in the roll over help and it would instantly tell you everything you need to know on how to manipulate that region.

Bob L
    Bob: For some reason, in Windows &, neither rollover nor "help" is working. But right after I posted this question, I found the page in the User Manual that explained the simple method of deleting a region. It's actually easier than finding that "Delete Region" entry in the old SAWse menu.

Thanks. Many more questions to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    FWIW, you can also click on the region in the Region View window and hit the delete key. That will delete all instances of the region. Doing it in the MT will only delete that individual region entry (instance). Depends on exactly what you want to do.

There's a bit of learning curve going from the old SAW to the new, but once you get comfy, it's pretty slick.
    So deleting the region in MT mode only deletes THAT INSTANCE of the region? Cool beans! In the old version, if you deleted a region in the MT, you deleted every instance of it and then wanted to kick yourself in the head for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    So deleting the region in MT mode only deletes THAT INSTANCE of the region? Cool beans! In the old version, if you deleted a region in the MT, you deleted every instance of it and then wanted to kick yourself in the head for it!
    Say goodbye to the days of kicking yourself in the head.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts