Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default UAD issue, yes again...

When I do a mix-down. SS shows the progress bar for about 3 or 4 % then SS GUI kinda blinks. And the progress bar stops updating. SS is doing its thing, I can see the plugs using there DSP power. So If I just wait SS will finish. Even in Task Manager SS goes red and says it stopped. Anyone else see this in Windows 10?

Default Re: UAD issue, yes again...

No one? I can't be the only one with this issue... Can I?

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    No one? I can't be the only one with this issue... Can I?
    Obviously I can speak only for myself, but I've never seen this behavior on Win 10. But then, I'm not using UAD plug-ins.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

I am wrapping the 64 bit versions and things have been stabile for a while.
    Michael McInnis Productions

I'm only using UAD 32-bit plugs on x64 Windows 10 Home and I've never seen that. Sorry.

Bob may be your best bet.

Have you done all the recommended OS tweaks? Are your running SAWStudio in XP SP3 compatiblity mode?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Check task manager for memory use and see if you are running out. Many UAD plugins are memory intensive and that is where wrapping the 64bit plugs can help. They allow you to access all of your system memory, instead of the 3.5 gig or so that's available to the 32 bit versions. Also, what other plugins are in the session? What is your ASIO buffer size? How many buffers are you using for input & output in SAW's settings?
    Michael McInnis Productions

Thank you all for the input here!! Well I have 64 GB of Ram, when I run SS I never see over 3% of usage. Well Dave I set it to Win XP compatible = WORKS Now!! Well mostly. I to am using only the 32b plugs. But after the mixdown or if I save a copy of the song. The plugs all stop working. If I reload the song - all works again. One last question? Is SS multi core compatible? Cuz I only see one being used...
    Last edited by spiritman; 03-17-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Thank you all for the input here!! Well I have 64 GB of Ram, when I run SS I never see over 3% of usage. Well Dave I set it to Win XP compatible = WORKS Now!! Well mostly. I to am using only the 32b plugs. But after the mixdown or if I save a copy of the song. The plugs all stop working. If I reload the song - all works again. One last question? Is SS multi core compatible? Cuz I only see one being used...
    Well, depends what you mean by "compatible." For example, I don't have any special settings vis-Ã*-vis cores, and it works fine. So, I'd say yes. BUT it is not coded to take advantage of multiple processor threads like some programs, if that's what you mean. Some folks actually use various inside-of- and outside-of-SAW settings to limit it to a single CPU to achieve optimum performance. You can probably also read up on the topic in the manual. Check out the "Force Single CPU" setting on the Options menu. You may already have it enabled.

Glad the compatibility setting is working for you. That's pretty key these days.

When you say after mixdown the plugs stop working, what do you mean? I ask because there is a known bug with UAD plugs in SAW that causes the dynamic graphics of the plug-in interfaces (stuff like meters) to stop working after a few minutes. The only work-around I know of is to close and re-open the EDL. However, even when the meters aren't working, the plugs continue to work; they only look like they've stopped working. Could that be what you're seeing?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Yes Dave. That is what I am seeing... I have also tried all the CPU settings in SS. I just would like to have all (16) threads in use during mixdown.... Seem like such a waist for only one core (thread) to be working. Thanks for the compat tip. I know I should have read the info on this.

Yes Dave. That is what I am seeing... I have also tried all the CPU settings in SS. I just would like to have all (16) threads in use during mixdown.... Seem like such a waist for only one core (thread) to be working. Thanks for the compat tip. I know I should have read the info on this.
    SAW is not coded where it can split processing up to multiple threads.

There have been long discussions about this and if you do a search you'll find lots of info.

SAW has always processed faster than real-time and actually cranks through stuff pretty damn fast.

I generally see maybe 20-30 seconds to mix down 18-20 tracks for a 3-4 minute song.

I could probably reduce that number by 30-40% more on a newer motherboard with high-speed SSD storage, but I'm still running spinners for my music storage.

Haven't really found it to be limiting.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.