Close

Thread: Chuck Berry

Default Chuck Berry

RIP Chuck. A major R&R innovator. Dead at 90.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: Chuck Berry

Wow, "major" is even too light a word for Chuck Berry. I had the opportunity to play drums behind him at Madison Square Garden in the eighties and it was quite a trip. No rehearsal, not even a "hello" before hand. He just walked out on stage with his guitar at showtime and started playing and it was magical. Then he walked off stage and the next time I saw him (two decades later) he was barely able to get through a song at the Westbury Music Fair. Very sad to watch.

Anyway, at least we can probably look forward to a great tribute concert, as EVERY rock and roll guitarist out there owes his or her life to Chuck.

Yeah. Hard to overstate his impact. If you had to pick one guy who most influenced rock & roll guitar, I'd think Chuck Berry is The Man. Nice work, Chuck.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

RIP Chuck.
    All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks and will forever more.
    He wasn't the greatest guitar player but his style influenced more rock & pop guitar players than anyone else.
    After 60 years his licks still are a part of music - old & new and his songs still make you tap your feet.
    It's fun to watch how my 2 1/2 year old grandson reacts to his music.
    The same exact way I did when I was his age nearly 60 years ago.
    Thank you Chuck for all the great songs and inspiration.
    We Love You!

RIP Chuck. O love your music and spirit!
    Thanks for all the fun days ... and nights you graced with your music.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio