Close

Default Make "Right-Click" Respond Faster When Stopping Playback?

Question #3 (and then I almost ready to go it on my own):

In my previous version of SAW (SAWse, from sometime in the 18th Century), I could instantly stop playback with a right-click on my mouse. This still works, but there is an annoying delay between click time and stop time. So much so that I've been compensating by clicking a second or two ahead of where I really want to stop.

Is there an adjustment or a fix to make right-click-stop instantaneous again?

Default Re: Make "Right-Click" Respond Faster When Stopping Playback?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Question #3 (and then I almost ready to go it on my own):

In my previous version of SAW (SAWse, from sometime in the 18th Century), I could instantly stop playback with a right-click on my mouse. This still works, but there is an annoying delay between click time and stop time. So much so that I've been compensating by clicking a second or two ahead of where I really want to stop.

Is there an adjustment or a fix to make right-click-stop instantaneous again?
    I may be wrong here, but this seems to me to be an issue related to the size/number of output buffers you're running.
    In SAW Full and Lite buffer settings are found in the Options/Audio Device Setup menu. The lower/less you can manage with smooth playback quality, the faster SAW should be able to respond to the mouse commands to start/stop playback. Depending on what driver model you're using (asio, mme, wdm) and soundcard, you may need to make adjustments from the soundcard settings panel, or both.

Something else is going on here with the soundcard driver perhaps... there should be no noticable delay when stopping playback... it should be instant no matter how many tracks are playing and no matter what the session load is... something else is going on with your setup.

Does it do the same thing if you stop with the spacebar?

Bob L

Don't laugh at me, but I am using one of those $29 Behringer UCA222 interfaces as a sound card. It worked great for many years, and I had no problem at all using it with SAWse.

I will be away from March 13-16, so nothing is going to happen with any of this. When I return, I will look into upgrading the sound card, if you really think that's necessary. Remember, most of my recordings get played over the telephone and nowhere else.

Any suggestions for either a new sound card or tweaks to this one?

Try with the on board sound and the usb one disconnected and see if that helps
    Are you using ASIO drivers ?
    I have used 2 usb cheapo sound cards with ASIO4ALL and it works ok with fast start stop but that was with WIN XP

I have had WIN 10 sort of lockup for a couple seconds from time to time for no reason

Butch

Butch:

I don't know what ASIO drivers are, so I'm probably not using them.

I HAVE had some trouble getting a signal from my mixer to my computer (not a priority just now, as I am only editing existing files), so I wonder if there might be compatibility issues with this sound card in general. I don't quite understand how the sound card would affect the performance of the mouse, though. It's not that the timeline is stopping and the sound is continuing. The timeline actually continues to advance for about a second after I right-click the mouse.

In any event, I'm off to Disney in half-an-hour and will be gone until Friday the 17th. Will get back to this then!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Butch:

I don't know what ASIO drivers are, so I'm probably not using them.

I HAVE had some trouble getting a signal from my mixer to my computer (not a priority just now, as I am only editing existing files), so I wonder if there might be compatibility issues with this sound card in general. I don't quite understand how the sound card would affect the performance of the mouse, though. It's not that the timeline is stopping and the sound is continuing. The timeline actually continues to advance for about a second after I right-click the mouse.

In any event, I'm off to Disney in half-an-hour and will be gone until Friday the 17th. Will get back to this then!
    The problem doesn't appear to be the mouse. So it's not a matter of the soundcard affecting the mouse performance, in our estimation.

We're trying to get you to investigate the soundcard drivers and their settings. Try re-examining our replies and then follow the suggestions given so far. If you don't understand what's been suggested, then maybe we can help point you in the direction you need to find out. I've already given you one path you can investigate with SAW's buffer settings. You might start there. Nobody has said you should get rid of your current soundcard - yet, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I may be wrong here, but this seems to me to be an issue related to the size/number of output buffers you're running...The lower/less you can manage with smooth playback quality, the faster SAW should be able to respond to the mouse commands to start/stop playback...
    UpTil:

I tried lowering the buffer from 4 to 3 and the audio immediately got all sorts of choppy. Looks like that's not an option!

Blog Entries

Tom,

Have you read through the manual?

Have you applied any of Bob's tweaks?

It is preferable to use ASIO drivers. ASIO4All works great.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Tom,

Have you read through the manual?

Have you applied any of Bob's tweaks?

It is preferable to use ASIO drivers. ASIO4All works great.
    There is nothing about this in the manual.

I have applied all of Bob's tweaks (for Windows 7 - I haven't seen any for Windows 10)

I still don't know what a damned ASIO driver is. Don't I need the driver for my specific audio interface?

Anyway, I did the space bar vs. mouse check and it DID seem like the space bar was more responsive, so I tried a new mouse and it seems a little better. Still not right, though.