Close

Default Maximising memory available for SAWStudio/VST Plugins

Hi

I am running SAWStudio on my fairly new and theoretically whizzy i7 computer under Win7 Pro 64 bit. It has 16GB RAM. I'm running into memory issues with the BFD2 and BFD3 drum programs. I'm using the 32 bit VST versions of these as the 64 bit don't seem to work with SAW. I'm running out of memory loading drum kits with both - I've got round this by reducing the detail on the kits velocity layers, enabling 16 bit mode and reducing the RAM buffer etc. but I don't remember having to do anything like this on my venerable old Core 2 duo. If I look under task manager there is tons of spare memory available but I do understand SAW can't access all of this.

I can load much larger kits with the 64 bit standalone versions and they are real memory hogs!

Is there anything obvious I can do to increase or maximise the memory available to SAW and the VSTs? I've done the usual Win7 tweaks.

Thanks

Jonathan

Default Re: Maximising memory available for SAWStudio/VST Plugins

SAWStudio is a 32 bit program... so it can only access 4 gigs of RAM... and it requires the use of 32 bit plugins... but... you might try using JBridge as a 64 bit vst plugin wrapper that will allow you to use the 64 bit vst versions which should be able to access the extra ram on your system.

Bob L

Thanks for the very prompt response Bob!

I do understand about the 32 bit program and the 4GB limit. I don't remember BFD2 being so constrained on the old Core 2 duo setup which is why I asked. I'll give the JBridge option a try. As I use MWS for all the drum programming for BFD rather than the internal grooves etc. I could always run it as a standalone on another computer and send midi data externally to it from SAW. Depends on the latency I guess and the advantage of a VST approach is the mixdown can all be done easily within SAW without creating extra stem tracks from external sources.

Even with the detail reductions BFD still sounds great. And I still love using SAWStudio.

Jonathan
    Last edited by JonathanT; 03-15-2017 at 04:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Hello,

The solution to your problem,, though not necessarily an inexpensive one, is Vienna Ensemble Pro.

This app allows you to use 64-bit plugins in a 32-bit environment. Therefore, this would be similar to JBridge - but it really is not.

With VE Pro, you have a separate and dedicated computer - that is truly 64-bit with all the RAM and HDD's you require.

SAWStudio will see this other system via a plugin and treats it as a 32-bit system - even though it is really 64-bit.

I use VE Pro with Kontakt running large sound libraries and never run out of RAM because of the 64-bit world they are installed in. However, via the plugin installed on the HOST system, it treats the other system - the SLAVE, as if it were a 32-bit system.

If anything, you should have a peep.

Thanks Dell - that sounds excellent, I'll check it out.

Although I'll have to wait a bit as my spare computers are old (but good) mostly with WinXP.

But worth a new computer if it is a good solution, I have suitable soundcards etc. I think.

Jonathan

Blog Entries

JonathanT,
    But worth a new computer if it is a good solution, I have suitable soundcards etc. I think.
    ...This system does not to be anything fancy at all. I am using a Dell OptiPlex 780.

Also, This system does not required a sound card at all.

In fact, it might be best to think of the VEPro as SACRemote.