Close

Default How are you handling spoken-word levels?

Hey there,

Was wondering how others are approaching spoken-word level fluctuations with your talent. When you bring in the raw audio to the multi-track, how do you proceed from there? Are you using a lot of automation level changes, compressor, etc?

Thanks!
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Default Re: How are you handling spoken-word levels?

Depends on the destination. If it's for broadcast or somewhere else that would benefit from really tight level control, I might do a fair bit of automating levels, then comp post fader. If it's not that critical, I'd back off any MX and SFX and do compression on the VO with a low ratio (2:1 or 3:1) that doesn't sound too obvious. You may have to lower breaths anyway, but after awhile you can do that on autopilot. Look at the automation library for an easy way to drop breaths 5 or 6 dB.

I know broadcast will smash the life out of it, but if the VO is consistent, at least the MX won't bounce up and down as much.

If the levels are all over the place, a little of both automation and comp will make you feel better about sending it out the door.

HTH
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Default Re: How are you handling spoken-word levels?

I'm with Ian. Less is more. A combination of a touch of compression on the track and a little volume adjustments on breaths and softer passages and just a touch of level automation on the way out.

Always play it by ear. You'll hear it if there too much of anything.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio