Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Cannot Get Signal From Mixer to SAW!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Tom;
    Have you tried the ASIO resolution set to 16 Bit? Unless you are doing something with unbelievable dynamic range that should be adequate.

Also, if you navigate to:

Options - Audio Device Setup :

That is where you set the number of buffers Sawstudio uses.

Set this to the smallest number you can get away with, starting with a larger number say 5 and reducing till Sawstudio is complaining and than increase the number to one more.
    From memory (which is not the best) only the input buffer number adds to turnaround latency when live monitoring. Bob could clarify.
    In the Behringer panel the buffer size appears reasonable, I found 64 works in my setup.

Note That with a small buffer size and low number of buffers, you are better of not to use any (VST) plugins.
    You could eventually use two configurations, one for Recording / Live use with low latency and another setting with more buffers for when you want to use VST Plugins

Hope this helps...

Robert V.
    Hopefully adding clarity here to Robert V's post, without complicating your life further, Tom..

But, as Bob actually did point out a few comments back, it is the OUTput buffer setting in SAW that will impact latency in this regard, not INput.

Sounds like you're getting closer to what you need, Tom..... rootin' for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Hopefully adding clarity here to Robert V's post, without complicating your life further, Tom..

But, as Bob actually did point out a few comments back, it is the OUTput buffer setting in SAW that will impact latency in this regard, not INput.

Sounds like you're getting closer to what you need, Tom..... rootin' for ya!
    A key thing that some people don't figure out for a long time is that most plugins have inherent latency. This means they will add delay to any kind of live monitoring that you want to do (but don't cause issues with overdubbing, for what it's worth). Also, plugins like the Levelizer will add latency when using its limiter and/or normalize features. Be sure those are turned off, if you have any Levelizers patched. If you take all latency-inducing plugins out of your session (all other SAW-native plugins are good, so far as I know), you should be able to get the monitor delay down to near nothing. But the driver will be the limiting factor. Some drivers are written well enough to let you make really small buffer size and buffer number settings (allowing near-zero delay). Others require larger settings, which add more delay. Not sure where Behringer falls with regard to their driver efficiency, but all you can do is keep lowering both settings until SAW stutters or complains with a prompt (as has been said).

As you may have noticed, with ASIO drivers, you set the buffer size in the driver control panel and the number of buffers in SAW's Audio Device Setup. As UTD and Bob mentioned, it's the Output Audio Device Setup that you care about, here. Although, there will also be a minimum allowable setting for the Input, too.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Ok, something has gone terribly wrong. I was fairly satisfied with the results of all the tweaking you guys suggested, but then I went in today and tried to make a few additional changes as suggested in recent posts. Now, the beginnings of all my files are cut off and the files are snap, crackle, popping all over the place. Both my In and Out PreLoad Buffers/Buffer Size are set to 4X64, exactly where they were when everything was working fine before. The ASIO driver is still set to "HighSpeed" as it was before. I can't figure out what changed, but SAW just went from almost perfect to perfectly useless.

Whaaaaaaaa??????????????
    Last edited by Tom M; 03-23-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Well, that sounds frustrating. Did you save the SawStudio preferences? If not, you should be able to close SS and open it again to a state before any of your recent changes. In any case, you should be able to reverse any changes made today and get back to where you were.

But even if those approaches fail, the forum will get you going again.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Nothing is reversing this problem. In order to playback the beginning of a file, I have to move it up (to the right) a second or two in the timeline because the playback bar is "stuttering" at the very beginning and missing the first second or two of audio. I've never seen anything like this.

The preferences were saved, but even going back to the settings that were working fine doesn't solve the problem. It's like some damned hacker has been watching me struggle and is now messing with me, just when I thought I had all my problems solved!

Hmmmm. Snapping, crackling, and popping sounds more like some kind of clocking issue than a buffers issue (see my reply on the other thread), and the fact that these settings worked before and aren't working now seems to rule buffer settings out, too.

I would try:

1) rebooting your computer
    2) unplugging the USB connection on the UCA-202, waiting ten seconds, plugging it back in
    3) unplugging other USB stuff you may have plugged in, if only as a diagnosis move

I assume you also tried a fresh (empty) SAW session with only a single region of audio on a track -- or, better yet, try playing audio from the Sound File View window (precluding session load or plug-in weirdness, though it doesn't sound like that kind of issue). This will help you decide whether it's a buffers thing, or a multi-track-specific thing, or a non-SAW thing (like USB).
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-23-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts