Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Cannot Get Signal From Mixer to SAW!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Just did some homework and discovered an article about how the Behringer (what the heck is the correct spelling anyway?) will not function correctly without the original ASIO drivers that came with it. So I downloaded and installed them from some creepy website and now I am getting signal from my board to the computer. Yeah!!! BUT...

I cannot monitor the audio while it is going in. I can playback audio once it's recorded, but not while it's being recorded. I have tried using both the Line Out and the Monitor (Headphone) Out on the Behringer and neither one works. I have also set both the "In" and "Out" audio devices in SAW to the new choice, which is something like "Behringer Line In," or "ASIO Line In." (Wish my studio computer weren't in another room and wish I could remember stuff from one part of the house to the next.)

This may be a simple issue that I will figure out on my own with a fresh head tomorrow, but until then, if anyone can think of a reason this is happening, I'd appreciate another one of your magical tips.
    I believe these are the drivers your looking for just for reference.

http://www.behringerdownload.de/_sof...X64_2.8.40.zip
    http://www.behringerdownload.de/_sof...N32_2.8.40.zip
    Last edited by cgrafx; 03-19-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Bob:

I'm not gonna argue with the developer, but I have somehow always been able to monitor the incoming source through my speakers. I've usually chosen not to do that because of bleedthrough from the existing tracks, but the capability was there. And I feel like I am patched in exactly the same way as before.

I really suck at reading massive amounts of text, but I will check out what you posted and report back.

Also, while I have your attention, changing my mouse wasn't really the solution to the slow right-click-to-pause issue I am having. There is still an annoying delay and the suggestions have stopped coming in on this forum. I guess I will just have to adapt.

Thanks again. Tom M

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I can say that the only usb interface I have used is the Behrigner x32 system and I have never been able to monitor my input to the laptop. I can only watch the levels and see how it sounds after the fact. I can monitor off the x32 mixing console as I record, but that isn't the same as monitoring what's going into SAW, or in my case, SAC/SAW combined.
    You should be able to put SAW in one of those tape monitor modes that let you hear the input at the output, live. SAW's outputs would get back to the X32 via the USB connection. What am I missing? (I don't have SAC, so I don't know how that works, but I'd think it would still apply, somehow).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

This may be my last question for a while.

I am using SAW Studio BASIC with a VERY basic audio interface (the $29 Berringer UCA-202) which has always worked fine and sounds more than good-enough for my voice-over/music productions. I am willing to replace it if you guys insist that doing so will fix my problem, but first, here's the issue:

I can play audio from the computer on which SAW is installed, but I cannot receive audio from an external mixer connected to the Berringer interface. This was never a problem with my previous computer or my previous version of SAW.

When I go to set the "in" audio properties in SAW, the Berringer comes up as a USB Microphone, same as it does for the "out" setting. I select it and then try to send in a signal from my external mixer and nothing happens. I even tried putting SAW into "Record Ready" mode and still did not get any signal.

I have also disabled the computer's internal sound card, reinstalled the Berringer interface, messed with volume levels, tried both the "output" jacks on the Berringer and the "headphone out" jack and nothing wants to work.

My guess is that you real audio guys are going to come up with a simple solution that makes me look and feel like a total doofus, but I can handle it, as long as it solves this last major issue I am having with SAW.

Thanks in advance for this - and all the OTHER - answers you have provided over the past couple of weeks. Because of all of you, I am enjoying SAW more and more each session.
    Have you tried putting SawStudio in "Live Mode"? It has to be in that mode to work without it recording. Also if you are using a mic and you want to hear it you need to patch into a Mixer Channel.

Last edited by Microstudio; 03-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Here are a few thoughts after reading the manual for the interface:

Make sure the mixer is actually sending audio by connecting it to something else, like an amp or stereo receiver.

Make sure the USB interface works by feeding a signal to it from something else, like a CD or MP3 player.

The interface has a button to push to route the input to the output. With that button in, do you get audio back to the mixer?

The interface is extremely simple and the manual doesn't mention a driver, let alone anything akin to a mixer applet. It does mention an LED that should be lit when it is receiving power via the USB cable.

With no driver apparent in the manual, you may have to set up the interface in Windows as the default soundcard. Maybe you've already done that.

Hope you get it working.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Ian:

Having done a bit of tweaking, I am certain that SAW is getting a signal from the external mixer. I just can't monitor it the way I used to. Unfortunately, based on your description of what you believe to be my interface, I think you've got the wrong one.

I am going to try the couple of suggestions I received recently and will report back.

Thanks for your input! Tom M

OK, mission accomplished. It wasn't easy to find, as the description in the manual is a little off/outdated, but once I ticked the "Tape Style - Playback/Input Switching" option, my monitors came alive and I grinned ear-to-ear.

I'd prefer to be able to monitor the signal even when I am not in "Record Ready" mode, and the "Input Always On" option did not work for that. I will try a few more things, but for now, I am satisfied.

Thanks again, everybody. Now can somebody figure out why I'm still having trouble with delayed response from my mouse (see thread elsewhere for details)?

OK, mission accomplished. It wasn't easy to find, as the description in the manual is a little off/outdated, but once I ticked the "Tape Style - Playback/Input Switching" option, my monitors came alive and I grinned ear-to-ear.

I'd prefer to be able to monitor the signal even when I am not in "Record Ready" mode, and the "Input Always On" option did not work for that. I will try a few more things, but for now, I am satisfied.

Thanks again, everybody. Now can somebody figure out why I'm still having trouble with delayed response from my mouse (see thread elsewhere for details)?
    Wish I'd thought of that. (see my reply to UTD, above)

Actually, I think many of us would've mentioned that sooner, except you said the monitoring you were able to do with the old SAW version you were using, you couldn't replicate with SAWStudio. No SAW versions prior to Studio had the tape-style monitoring options.

BTW -- if you put SAW in Live Mode before recording or SRP-ing, then you can record and stop and SRP and stop and you'll hear the input or output continuously. Live Mode is how we keep the SAW engine live even when you're not recording or playing back (which is what most DAW's do by default, as I understand it).

The difference between the two tape style options is that the former switches what you hear between playback and input (playback during playback, input when you're stopped), while the latter allows you to hear the input signal regardless of whether your playing back or stopped.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Wish I'd thought of that. (see my reply to UTD, above)
    Easy does it, Dave! I didn't say it was my idea! In fact, your post (along with Bob L's) convinced me this was the answer.

Next, you're saying to put it into "Live Mode?" I guess I will try that, too, because in playing with it some more after my last post, I noticed there's a significant delay between the signal hitting the mixer and the signal reaching SAW. That'll be a deal-breaker if I ever need to sync something live with something already tracked.

Oy, I'm so close but I still have so many dopey little issues.

Blog Entries

Tom,

Looking at the available documentation and the various You Tube videos out there, this really should be a simple setup. Here is what I have discovered for you:

You are using Behringer U-Control UCA202
    User Manual Information
    Page 2: "The USB connection will work with either PC or Mac computes, so no drivers are needed for installation.
    Note: There is no mention of ASIO in the User Manual, so I am not too sure what the ASIO drivers would be for, even though the drives pages does list ASIO4ALL. See below.

Page 8: This device has:
    One digital output, using S/SPDIF as a STEREO digital signal.
    A pair of LINE OUT jacks - which provide RCA unbalanced connections.
    * Note: I believe that these would be the one that you would use.
    A pair of LINE-IN jacks - which provide RCA unbalanced connections.
    * Note: This would be where you plug a LINE level device in to.

Drivers
    ASIO4ALL USB Audio Driver: http://www.asio4all.com
    See: http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...0484/downloads
    Notes: The only issues that I can see here is that you are using the sound card input which is not the best at all. I still have no idea what the ASIO drivers would be used for - maybe just for the S/DIF connection. I would not worry too much at this point about using ASIO.

Have a look at these videos.
    PC Setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPTvMSHwL0
    Setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1syXpqSEk

Yu need to determine how Windows is "seeing" this device, which I hope that second video above will be helpful. This will be the information you need to setup in SAWStudio.

PS: If you have an Internet connection, I, or someone else, can do a remote session with you to see just what is going on.

Hope this helps?