Close

Default Reconfigured SAC rig

Been consolidating gear.

Originally had my amp racks and SAC system separate, but they always travel together, so decided to put them into a single rack. I lost about 3U of space which made things a bit more challenging, but the overall result is actually better. Less weight overall (about 30lbs) and I don't have to worry about the top rack slipping off the bottom when its being moved.

Also finally got my wireless access point mounted and permanently wired in the rack. Its easily removable if I need to reposition, although I've already done some initial tests and I'm getting about 70ft of distance even with the rack inside our building and me standing outside. (Its a high power dual antenna 5GHz unit - Engenius Tech ENS500EXT)

SAC is configured to open with our mix template by default and includes the remote already activated. The Lenovo Tablet is also configured to connect to the SAC rig by default, so pretty much just turn it on.

I still have some labeling I have to redo, and I haven't finalized the stage snakes and mic splitter multi-pin setups yet.

Connection from the wireless rack ( 4 stereo IEM units and 2 wireless mic units) takes 3 connections. Power, a DB25 multi-pin for the 4 stereo IEM and two XLR mic lines. Its quick to attach and gives us the flexibility to just bring the wireless gear when we play at gigs/venues that have a bigger sound system. Although a lot of times I'll bring the SAC rig and our splitter and just use SAC to mix our monitors.

Including some pics of the FOH speakers just for fun. Both our small and large venue stacks.

---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Reconfigured SAC rig

Philip,

Like I said previously, "You do very, very nice work!"

Great set-up, Philip!

PS: Would it not be nice however, if our equipment weighed-in only as much as SAC does?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 03-21-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Very nice. Where'd you find that ruggedly handsome male model?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Very nice. Where'd you find that ruggedly handsome male model?
    he's on of those cardboard cutouts... think I got him at Kmart.
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,

PS: Would it not be nice however, if our equipment weighed-in only as much as SAC does?
    Yes it would. Funny thing is I originally had the amps at SAC rig split specifically because each section would weigh less and I could pick up the SAC half if needed (came in about 85 lbs). But after using the system for the last 3+ years, I never move it that way. The two cases always ride together, except when getting lifted on stage. They were always stacked even when going in and out of the van (I have a 10ft ramp). So it actually will be easier with the new configuration. The combined case weighs less, is a bit shorter and takes less time to setup since the amps are now always plugged in.

AND... this is Big.. wheels are our friends...
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,
    AND... this is Big.. wheels are our friends...
    ...Big wheels...were you referring to Dave? (Heh! Heh!)

Phillip,
    That really looks good. What kind of events do you do in the Bay area?
    It seems that could move nicely in a full size van (if it stays upright).
    Very well organized.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Phillip,
    That really looks good. What kind of events do you do in the Bay area?
    It seems that could move nicely in a full size van (if it stays upright).
    Very well organized.
    Its almost exclusively for our band. We play local clubs, festivals and private parties.

The rack stays upright and is rolled into my Ford E350 Van. I have a 10ft ramp that generally keeps the incline manageable.

It actually goes in with the wireless rack on top all in one go.

I originally started with a split rack thinking I would need to keep the weight low enough to actually pick up, but I never moved the two racks separately. It made more sense to re-rack into a single unit. Also helped to speed setup as I no longer have to connect the two racks together (amps and mixer now all in one box).

The connect to the wireless rack on top is just a couple of cables (power, a single db25 connector, and two XLR cables from the wireless mic receivers).

At some point I may replace the 8CH DB25 with a 12 channel connector which would allow me to lose the extra two mic cables.

I'm still working on multi-pinning the snakes, but haven't decided the best way to do that yet. I may add DB25's to the back of the ADA8200 units, just doing a hard split internally to the mic input jacks.
    Philip G.