Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Something Has Gone Terribly Wrong!

Just went out and bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface ($100). Set it up and, after a few hiccups, it seems to be running OK. No more crackling, no more clipping of my sound files, although the mouse delay has not improved. I am set to 3 output pre-load buffers and 1 in. From what I've gathered, they should be set the same, but this seems to be providing the least delay.

Now PLEASE do not make any more suggestions to make it work better!!!! I am too impressionable to resist trying just "one more tweak," and that's what rendered my previously working interface useless.

Of course, you will see me whining all over again if this thing craps out, but for now, thank you all for allowing me my growing pains and for all your assistance.

TM
    Last edited by Tom M; 03-24-2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Update on mouse delay

I'll be genuinely shocked if you have any issues with that interface. I've used their Scarlett 2i2 (same driver) on a few different machines running SAWStudioLite, and I've never had a problem.

From all I've read, Focusrite's drivers are usually very stable. Theirs and RME's.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtZHP View Post
    I'll be genuinely shocked if you have any issues with that interface...
    So far, so good. I wasn't able to install any of the "free software" they give you with the interface, though. I downloaded about four of the packages, but when I went to install, I always got an error message like "Missing blah blah blah file...b'bye!" or something like that. I ended up scrapping the whole idea and just leaving well enough alone.

Blog Entries

Tom,

Can you please provide us with a heads-up on what your system consists of?

For example:

Desktop/Laptop:
    Make and model:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    HDD(s):
    Video:
    Operating System:
    Age of system:
    Is this a dedicated system or multi-use?:
    Do you use an anti-virus? If so, what?:
    Do you use any anti-malware software?:
    Anything else you would care to share:

Thanks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Tom,

Can you please provide us with a heads-up on what your system consists of?
    Dell:

I'd be happy to, but I am curious as to what you are trying to accomplish at this point. If it's resolving the delay on my mouse right-click, that's one thing. But the rest of the issues are gone with the installation of the new sound card, so I would be hesitant to open another can of worms to address anything else.

My system is a Dell Inspiron desktop
    Intel Core i5 - 6400 CPU @2.70 GHz/2.71 GHz
    8 GB Ram
    64-bit / X64 Processor
    1 TB Hard Drive
    Don't know the video driver
    Windows 10 Home Edition
    Less than two months old
    Dedicated system (for audio)
    Avast AntiVirus (Paid Edition)
    No Anti-Malware, except for the limited function of Avast
    SAW Studio basic edition with no plug-ins
    Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface. Set to 44.1kHz / Buffer = 128
    Last edited by Tom M; 03-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Tom,

I am just somewhat concerned about the inability to install the included software.

There really should be no "Missing blah blah blah..." issues and that this may point to other issues.

This being said, I interestingly prefer Dell-branded systems - they seem to contain less software bloat than others out there.

Has anyone commented on the Buffer = 128. Would this not function better at 64?

PS: Is this a corded or cordless mouse? If it is cordless, try a corded one and see if the problem goes away. If it a "blue light" model, you may also try a "red light" model.

Tom,

I am just somewhat concerned about the inability to install the included software.
    Don't be! I am so happy that the basic functions are working, I couldn't care LESS about the crappy software they threw in the package. Truthfully, I can't seem to install any of the SAW Studio plug-ins, either, but none of them are important enough to me that I want to take a chance on setting myself back to the point where I was crying that "Something has gone terribly wrong!!!"

Has anyone commented on the Buffer = 128. Would this not function better at 64?
    The default was 128 and it worked fine, so I left it. Once I screwed with the buffer rate on the old Behringer card, I could no longer get it to function, even when I put it back to where it had been when it DID work! If I feel daring at some point, I may lower it to 64, but for now, I'm leaving it alone!

PS: Is this a corded or cordless mouse? If it is cordless, try a corded one and see if the problem goes away. If it a "blue light" model, you may also try a "red light" model.
    I always use corded mice. I didn't know they used different colored lights to f with people even more, but mine is red. I can probably learn to live with the delay. People keep insisting the answer to my mouse delay is "in the manual" or in previous posts, but I can't find the solution anywhere and I don't want to be scolded for asking about it anymore, so I will leave it as-is until it becomes a problem.

Thank you very much for your input. I have been resisting making this comment, but now I can really see why so little good music is made anymore. In the days when I was playing, the "idea" took priority, and getting it on tape was second nature. Now you have to spend so much time just getting all this stuff to work that there's very little time to think about actually creating something worth recording!

Blog Entries

Tom,

Being "63 years young" - I know precisely what you are referring to. As a guitarist first, I had an amp, a guitar and a cord connecting the two of them together. Power it on, plugin it in, and start playing.

Also, in those days, G.A.S. was more, in contrast to today, more expensive than it is today, and maybe that is why G.A.S. was less of a concern than it is today. At least to me anyway.

This being said, in my early days of SAW and SAC, I visited the forums and tried to glean as much as I could from those that "laid the trail before me".

More importantly, I paid attention to the information that Bob was providing. I very soon discovered, that if I "stay in the box" that works - then I could focus more on what the box was doing - more so than what is actually going on inside the box.

Granted, the biggest cost investment was the RME card, which at the beginning cost me $1000. However, these can be found for as little as $250.00 now and are well worth the cost. This card, along with the Behringer ADA-8000, or the newer ADA-8200 - just works, and works wonderfully well! This setup allows me to focus more on the music and not so much on what I am using to make the music.

Note: Just a thought, do you have the SAWStudio shortcut set to "Compatibility Mode"?

Note: Just a thought, do you have the SAWStudio shortcut set to "Compatibility Mode"?
    Don't really know what that means, but I will check.

The reason I find it hard to follow Bob's notes and everybody else's suggestions is that SAW Studio Basic does fifty times more than I really need in my recording software. The version of SAW I used from the mid-90's until just last month had four tracks and WAY fewer menu items to be concerned with. I was a whiz at it and never had a single problem in more than 20 years.

Unfortunately, the technology changed drastically while I wasn't looking and now SAW Basic offers a ton of features I've never even heard of. Plus, the new audio interfaces seem to require tweaking that I never had to do before.

What remains of my audio production business involves no more than mixing 2 to 4 tracks of music, sfx, and voice-overs. Sometimes I need to do a little EQ'ing and sometimes I pre-process some tracks with effects in Audacity or MixPad. Then I need to mix down to either .wav, compressed (u-Law) .wav, or mp3, during which I will sometimes throw in a little Auto Gain for the "WOW!" effect. That's all.

SAW Studio Basic is way overkill, but I like that I am somewhat familiar with the interface from all those years of using SAWse. None of the others I have tried are anything like it. If I can streamline the functions I need and get to the point where operating SAW Basic is as mindless as operating SAWse was, I will be golden.

Blog Entries

Tom,

Page 7 of the SAWStudioBasic User Manual states:

"Right-Click the SAWStudiobBasic desktop icon or the actual .exe file
    Select Properties
    Select the Compatibility Tab
    Set the compatibility to Win XP SP 2 or 3
    Check the "Run As Administrator" checkbox

This process correctly turns OFF Border Padding, which adds an extra border inside the window client area of x pixels. This must be turned OFF or the pixel mapping of the mixer views will be corrupted. Win 8 handles this properly when you set the compatibility to Win XP which never had the border padding option in the first place.

Attachment 2591

I am not sure of SAWse had the same F-Key functionality as does SAWStudio, but you can simplify what you are seeing for the user interface. For example:

Attachment 2592

Note: I am most definitely NOT the pro around here when it comes to SAWStudio, and there are many who can provide much better advice than I can. My use of SAWStudio is very simple and I configure it that way.

One other thing, not sure if this had been mentioned or not, but make sure you have the Options settings set to one of the following. I prefer the use of "Force High Priority Class":

Attachment 2593

Hope this information is of assistance to you?