Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Something Has Gone Terribly Wrong!

Why do I need to set it to Compatibility Mode with Windows XP? I am using Windows 10.

Blog Entries

Tom,

Very simply, "Because Bob recommends that we do!"

SAWStudio was written with Windows XP in mind - which is a 32-bit application running I a 64-bit world.

To make 32-bit apps work better in this 64-birt world, the folks at Microsoft provided this "Compatibility Mode" functionality - and it DOES WORK!

As the User Manual states: "This process correctly turns OFF Border Padding, which adds an extra border inside the window client area of x pixels. This must be turned OFF or the pixel mapping of the mixer views will be corrupted. Win 8 handles this properly when you set the compatibility to Win XP which never had the border padding option in the first place."

I agree! It fix my problem....

I switched my buffer to 64 and got a playback buffer underrun, but only once. If it happens again, I'm going back to 128 and none of yuz can stop me!

Against my better judgement, I also switched to Windows Compatibility Mode and made all the other changes you guys suggested. So far, nothing has changed, so that's a good sign. This whole "Border Padding" thing eludes me. I don't know what border padding is. Is there going to be a problem with it now that I switched a perfectly functional SAW set-up to Win XP Compatibility Mode? If so, thanks, but then I'm scrapping all the changes you guys had me make after I had the system running (almost) perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    I switched my buffer to 64 and got a playback buffer underrun, but only once. If it happens again, I'm going back to 128 and none of yuz can stop me!

Against my better judgement, I also switched to Windows Compatibility Mode and made all the other changes you guys suggested. So far, nothing has changed, so that's a good sign. This whole "Border Padding" thing eludes me. I don't know what border padding is. Is there going to be a problem with it now that I switched a perfectly functional SAW set-up to Win XP Compatibility Mode? If so, thanks, but then I'm scrapping all the changes you guys had me make after I had the system running (almost) perfectly!
    If you get any hiccups at the 64 setting, you can always bump up the number of buffers by one or two; that will be better than setting the size back to 128, which will automatically double your total latency.

Have you heard about Bob's recommended system tweaks for best SAW performance? You can get the Windows 7 tweaks here, but they should pretty much translate to Windows 10. If there's anything newer (than the Windows 7 tweaks), hopefully, someone will chime in.

RE: XP compatibility mode -- it's really the only way to go. I'm surprised you haven't noticed other issues till now.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

The current SAWStudio manual has tweaks for Windows 8/8.1 - and which would be better suited to Windows 10.

Here is a stripped Windows 8 Tweaking guide

Attachment 2594

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

The current SAWStudio manual has tweaks for Windows 8/8.1 - and which would be better suited to Windows 10.

Here is a stripped Windows 8 Tweaking guide

Attachment 2594
    Thanks for that, Dell. I'd thought I remembered there being a Windows 8 tweaks document "out there," but didn't know where to find it. I got it now!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts