Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Host and ISP needed

I've been with Networks Solutions for almost 2 decades.
    They've become flaky lately, letting tons of spam through and bouncing more and more of my clients.
    Even after putting them on my white list they bounce.

I'm looking for a service to host my website, for pop mail and room for FTP files.

Can I get some good recommendations for those who are in the know?

Thanks,
    Bill Corkery
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Host and ISP needed

Bill,

I have used GoDaddy for years now and they have been "alright" in my books.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    They've become flaky lately, letting tons of spam through and bouncing more and more of my clients.

I'm looking for a service to host my website, for pop mail and room for FTP files.

Thanks,
    Bill Corkery
    I used Hostmonster for years, and they were fine. When it was renewal time, I shopped around and found a killer deal with iPage. All seems pretty solid with them, though I've been using Dropbox instead of setting up my own FTP with iPage, so I can't vouch for their FTP capability (but I expect it's fine). I get very little spam.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I have been using Total Choice Hosting for a while now. Their servers are state-side (in Michigan, I believe) and customer service is great.

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post

Thanks,
    Bill Corkery
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

I use 1and1, been there more than 15 years. Their tech support is very good. In all that time, I have just once dropped an email address to stop the spammers. Hint: I use email addresses that look like strong passwords. Don't use your name, throw numbers in, make it something that the guessing machines can't randomly hit. I also use different email addresses for different purposes, with one especially for "advertisement" stuff (when you need an email to use some commercial site you buy from).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm checking out multiple possibilities.
    I hope to migrate some time early next month.

Network Solutions has been very disappointing recently.

-Bill Corkery
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

+1 for 1and1.com. I was originally sent there by Cary and it has worked out well. I like his advice about creating addresses, but I've always needed an address that is easy for clients (and me) to remember.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

FTP... hardly ever use that any more. It's always been a pain to try and explain it to the office help. They glaze over like deer in the headlights.

Just for fun, try and get a Millennial to send a fax. They literally have no idea...

GoDaddy has been good for our sites, very easy interface for creating, setting up, and configuring sites, and the Chat Help has been very helpful.

We're doing the sites in Wordpress, and there's a special section for that on Godaddy. Very happy.

I agree. Network Solutions is still trying to ride on their very old laurels, having been one of the first games in town. In terms of pricing etc, they've become irrelevant.
    Last edited by studio-c; 04-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    FTP... hardly ever use that any more. It's always been a pain to try and explain it to the office help. They glaze over like deer in the headlights.

I agree about explaining FTP. I use it only when a client requests it, but I use FTP software to upload all audio. I put it on a page on my website like ianalexander.com/studio-c. Another small file is needed to make it accessible via http. No password is needed, because the only link to it, anywhere, is in the email to the client. If there are multiple files, I zip them to make it a one-step process for the client. Then I email the client the link, telling them to right click on the file. Done.

There are clients who use Dropbox or similar. Fine, but only if they've set it up.

How do you guys deliver audio these days?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I agree about explaining FTP. I use it only when a client requests it, but I use FTP software to upload all audio. I put it on a page on my website like ianalexander.com/studio-c. Another small file is needed to make it accessible via http. No password is needed, because the only link to it, anywhere, is in the email to the client. If there are multiple files, I zip them to make it a one-step process for the client. Then I email the client the link, telling them to right click on the file. Done.

There are clients who use Dropbox or similar. Fine, but only if they've set it up.

How do you guys deliver audio these days?
    I used to do the FTP thing, but these days it's all Dropbox. You don't need an account on the receiving end. You send them a link, and, if they're not already signed into Dropbox, they'll get a browser prompt asking them to sign in or sign up, but they can click "no thanks" at the bottom of the prompt (I let them know that ahead of time, cuz the prompt isn't very prominent) and go right to the file(s).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts