Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Host and ISP needed

Dave,
    ...cuz the prompt isn't very prominent
    ...I gather it is well hidden...cuz I have never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    <SNIP>

How do you guys deliver audio these days?
    I use wetransfer dot com. The nice thing about this service is that there's no need to sign up for anything... either for the sender or receiver. If I have multiple files, I zip them first and they all go out in one upload. The recipient gets an email with a link and a message that there's a file waiting for them, along with its expiration date. I get an email saying the file was successfully uploaded, and another one when the file has been downloaded by the recipient(s). The limit is 2 GB per upload, but to my knowledge there's no limit to the number of uploads... at least I've never reached it.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    ...I gather it is well hidden...cuz I have never seen it.
    Actually, I "misspoke." The prompt is pert near impossible to miss. But the "no thanks" option is hard to notice, I think. Probably by design.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    How do you guys deliver audio these days?
    I used YouSendIt/Hightail for a long time, but their upload times got super slow.

Dropbox was just plain annoying, with lots of "refer a friend and get free bandwidth". First time someone sent me a Dropbox thing, and I didn't have an account, it took 10 screens to be able to download the [edit]dang file.

I did a trial with DigitalPigeon.com, which was a dream! So fast. But expensive. I upload a lot of video, so those speeds start making a difference...

I'm now using WeTransfer.com, the pay version (paid yearly), and the speeds are fantastic. The custom delivery page is easy to make look very sexy.

I still have WS-FTP on my system, for the publishing houses back east who use FTP. Just to put things on their sites. I don't really offer it to clients. The demand has been zero for the past 5 years.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I use the free version of WeTransfer because I don't have huge files to upload... maybe the occasional CD audio to a replicator and graphics files, that's about it. And I don't upload more than a couple times a week. But as "Studio-C" says, there is a paid version available as well with more features.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Pro tip for those using Dropbox to deliver files:

If you are generating a link for one file, select "Copy Dropbox link". It will feature "?dl=0" at the end of the link. Change the 0 to a 1 and now when the receiver clicks the link in their email, their browser will immediately download the file without the user even seeing the Dropbox page. This trick also works with folders and if used will immediately download a ZIP file containing the contents of the entire folder. You could also embed the link on a webpage and it will act as a direct download of files.

I pay the $9.99 a month for the upgraded Dropbox. I also found a way to embed a form on my website that lets users upload a large file(s) and it posts directly to a special folder in my Dropbox. My web host limits the size of a file that a user can upload, so this solution was perfect. And it is incredibly easy. Here is the form:

http://demodavepro.com/upload

Quote Originally Posted by Demodave View Post
    Pro tip for those using Dropbox to deliver files:

If you are generating a link for one file, select "Copy Dropbox link". It will feature "?dl=0" at the end of the link. Change the 0 to a 1 and now when the receiver clicks the link in their email, their browser will immediately download the file without the user even seeing the Dropbox page. This trick also works with folders and if used will immediately download a ZIP file containing the contents of the entire folder. You could also embed the link on a webpage and it will act as a direct download of files.

I pay the $9.99 a month for the upgraded Dropbox. I also found a way to embed a form on my website that lets users upload a large file(s) and it posts directly to a special folder in my Dropbox. My web host limits the size of a file that a user can upload, so this solution was perfect. And it is incredibly easy. Here is the form:

http://demodavepro.com/upload
    Very cool, DD. Thanks for the tip!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post

+1
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    +2! Thanks
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Re: delivering files... have used dropbox but recently used sync dot com for the first time. Satisfied.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24