Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: How could this benefit the sender?

Hi all,

I've received over the past year or so, several e-mails all worded exactly, or very similarly to this one:

Hello, I got your email while surfing the internet for a reputablerecording studio. I would like to know if you do music recording and how muchyou charge per hour for your sessions. I have three artists that will beneeding your service. Also , do you accept credit cards as a form of paymentand which days do you have available from 15th of April to 20th of I willbe waiting to get the informational requested and we can proceed from there.

Regards

Ramon Byron

I have no idea what the scam is, but I'm pretty sure there's one in there somewhere. I've just ignored these messages, but am curious if anyone else is getting them, and/or does anyone have an idea as to how the sender could be planning to extract money from me.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: How could this benefit the sender?

Richard,

I just love how these people spell - do they now use spell checkers.

It would be interesting to see the sender's email address.

Have a peep: Gearslutz

I remember something like this going around years ago. I believe there's a thread about it on the forum. Probably ten years back or so.

I don't remember how the scammers were supposed to make their money.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

I just love how these people spell - do they now use spell checkers.

It would be interesting to see the sender's email address.

Have a peep: Gearslutz
    Hi Dell,
    Unfortunately I've deleted the e-mail, but your link pretty much seals the deal: it's a common scam. Reading a few of them reminds me that I'd gotten one referencing country music as well. I see now how the scam works too, from information in the linked site. These people are really sick tickets!!
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Blog Entries

Richard
    These people are really sick tickets!!
    ....How true!

In my computing business I refer to these "folks" as "parasites"...as there main intention is to drain you of something...generally your money.

From our perspective, "Now that we SAW 'em...we should SAC 'em!" Heh, heh!

How about some Sennheiser headphones generating about 140db's! Or putting them in the centre of Elton John's monitors...as I hear he likes them really LOUD!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    <SNIP>
    From our perspective, "Now that we SAW 'em...we should SAC 'em!" Heh, heh!
    <SNIP>!
    Gotta love it!
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Last summer, I got an Voice123 message from a guy who wanted me to do a VO. After he got my cell number, he switched to texting. The information about the session came out in a very slow drip over about a week. He mentioned a studio not too far away and then an agency. I found them both online, so at least they exist. Then he mentioned an engineer flying in from somewhere. They sent me a check for $1500 as I recall, which I was to deposit immediately. Then I was instructed to go to a local drugstore and send a MoneyGram to this engineer so he could travel. Instead, I went to the MoneyGram website. They have a page describing scams, one of which read like a script for what I was getting reeled into. Voice123.com describes the same scam. OK, I thought, let's have a little fun.

I began to slow the guy down, claiming that my bank had placed a hold on the funds. He got pretty irate, but I strung him along, never indicating that I was onto him. He knew that his check was no good and the funds would evaporate very soon, so he pushed hard. I went on about my business. He didn't seem to understand that I was unable to text with him while I was in a recording session. Yet another clue. When I told him that my bank had bounced his check, he claimed his boss would kill him and his children wouldn't be able to eat, etc., etc. The last message I got from him was: "This is just wickedness!" I had to agree.

I think many of these scams are just variations on the African prince who needs your help to get millions out of his country. But you need to open an account with a few thousand dollars and send him the account info. And you know what happens next. Anybody who needs your money now to pay you later is a crook.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Great story, Ian. Keep fighting the good fight!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Ian,

The last message I got from him was: "This is just wickedness!" I had to agree.
    ...and we wonder on whose part!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    <SNIP>Then he mentioned an engineer flying in from somewhere. They sent me a check for $1500 as I recall, which I was to deposit immediately. Then I was instructed to go to a local drugstore and send a MoneyGram to this engineer so he could travel. <SNIP>
    Pretty slick, I have to admit. Glad you didn't fall for it.
    The only better scam I know of is when an old (close) friend needs a quick cash infusion for his business. He says he needs $1500 and will pay you back in full in 3 months. It will help him immensely, as he expands his food truck business. You figure you've known him for nearly 50 years, even played in a couple bands with him, and he's always been an upstanding guy. You lend him the money. 5 years later, he's been able to pay back $100 of the debt. Business has been bad, according to him.

And yeah, I'm the guy who made the loan in that story!!!
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording