Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: OT: How could this benefit the sender?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Pretty slick, I have to admit. Glad you didn't fall for it.
    The only better scam I know of is when an old (close) friend needs a quick cash infusion for his business. He says he needs $1500 and will pay you back in full in 3 months. It will help him immensely, as he expands his food truck business. You figure you've known him for nearly 50 years, even played in a couple bands with him, and he's always been an upstanding guy. You lend him the money. 5 years later, he's been able to pay back $100 of the debt. Business has been bad, according to him.

And yeah, I'm the guy who made the loan in that story!!!
    Ouch. That sucks, Richard.

I've had clients stiff me for hundreds or thousands, but when it's a "close" friend, it's gotta be a lot worse.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Ian,

...and we wonder on whose part!

To this day, that has not been established.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Pretty slick, I have to admit. Glad you didn't fall for it.
    The only better scam I know of is when an old (close) friend needs a quick cash infusion for his business. He says he needs $1500 and will pay you back in full in 3 months. It will help him immensely, as he expands his food truck business. You figure you've known him for nearly 50 years, even played in a couple bands with him, and he's always been an upstanding guy. You lend him the money. 5 years later, he's been able to pay back $100 of the debt. Business has been bad, according to him.

And yeah, I'm the guy who made the loan in that story!!!
    I hope the truck is nearby. You should stop by every week or two, order a nice lunch, then put it on his tab. Even send him a periodic statement.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Ouch. That sucks, Richard.

I've had clients stiff me for hundreds or thousands, but when it's a "close" friend, it's gotta be a lot worse.
    Apparently we're too trusting, Dave. Fortunately, I've been, let's say "shortchanged" by studio clients only to the tune of maybe a couple thousand dollars in the 30+ years I've been in business. Alison (my wife) has been more fortunate, with only one deadbeat. It's a risk we run in the "service before payment" world.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I hope the truck is nearby. You should stop by every week or two, order a nice lunch, then put it on his tab. Even send him a periodic statement.
    Hahaha, good idea Ian. Unfortunately, it's about 15 miles from me and he makes only subs. I could eat maybe a two subs a week (giving one to my wife), and at $7 each I'd be "paid in trade" in just under two years. Maybe the trip would be worth it after all. At least I'd get something. <LOL>
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.