Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Few More Questions, If You Don't Mind?

Philip,
    Well... there is a secret handshake, but you have to be here for at least 90 days before you get that initiation.
    ...I must have missed that one.

Hey...Dave! Did you take mine? Heh..Heh!

When you click on a new track, the drag option is locked out so you can freely change tracks without the cursor position being lost. Once you have selected a hottrack (white bars), then you can drag as long as the mouse is kept on that track.

Bob L

>>Any idea why that wasn't working for me before? As I mentioned in my previous post, that's the first thing I tried, as it's kind of standard on other audio software. Mysteriously, it didn't work<<

What Bob said.

As long as you click-drag the cursor (BTW--that's what we call the mysterious vertical line you have observed) within the current hot track, the "auto scroll" feature will work.

Bob also mentioned the right-click-hold left/right navigation feature. This also applies to vertical navigation in the MT. Try it, you might like it.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    >>Any idea why that wasn't working for me before? As I mentioned in my previous post, that's the first thing I tried, as it's kind of standard on other audio software. Mysteriously, it didn't work<<

What Bob said.

As long as you click-drag the cursor (BTW--that's what we call the mysterious vertical line you have observed) within the current hot track, the "auto scroll" feature will work.

Bob also mentioned the right-click-hold left/right navigation feature. This also applies to vertical navigation in the MT. Try it, you might like it.

It also helps to lift one foot off the floor and close the opposite eye. It's kind of like a can opener my mom used to have.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    It also helps to lift one foot off the floor and close the opposite eye. It's kind of like a can opener my mom used to have.
    I had no idea. It's just amazing how I keep coming across new features thanks to posts like yours, Ian. What a community!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Just as an aside, I was mixing a five-minute track today and I kept getting "buffer underrun" errors until I adjusted the buffer on my audio interface to 256. That's the highest I've ever had it set, even in SAWse.

I'm really in love with SAW Basic, but this whole switch-over has been a bit of a trainwreck, between freakin' Windows 10 and my new interface. I'm thinking about reviving my old Tascam Porta Studio. Anybody know where I can get some TDK SA cassettes?

Windows 10 and a new audio card driver... there is no way to compare that to your older setup.

Also... make sure you have followed the guidelines to set the desktop SAWStudioBasic icon to compatibility for XP SP2 or 3 and make sure to select the "Run As Administrator" compatibility option.

Also... you should try to select the Realtime priority option in the SAW Options menu as well... and possibly the Force Single CPU option.

These options are there to help with the thread scheduling issues introduced by Win 7, 8 and 10... please do not ignore them.

The buffer underrun error is telling you the system is having trouble getting the data from the harddrive fast enough... are your harddrives performing up to speed... or could there be bad sectors you are running into... consider trying a checkdisk scan.

Also... if you have any virus checkers active... and that includes the Windows Defender in Win 10, these can slow harddisk access to a crawl while they attempt to scan every disk access for a virus pattern... try turning the virus check off while you do your audio work.

Bob L