Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Few More Questions, If You Don't Mind?

Hey, all.

I've learned to live with the delayed mouse response, and I'm still getting buffer underrun messages no matter where I set my buffer. Someday I will figure this all out, but for now, at least I can do what I have to do. A few things are still slowing me down, and now I am back to being unable to access the HELP menu. Without referring me to this menu, can anyone answer any or all of these questions?

1. Does SAW Basic have a scroll bar that would enable me to move forward and back along the timeline in Multi-Track mode? The one in SAWse used to be so convenient and so functional. Is this actually MISSING from Basic, or does it have to be added via the "View" menu or some other menu? It really sucks having to try to "pry" my way through a track.
    2. In my old version of SAW, to clear a single mixing goof (such as a volume fade-up/fade-down), I would highlight the section in which the goof occurred, then go into the menu and select something like "clear highlighted volume changes." In Basic, all I can find is an option to clear automation changes on the entire track. How can I clear a single incident?
    3. Again, in my old version of SAW, I had an option to "Clear All Regions On Current Track." In Basic, it seems the only way to do this is to delete them all individually. That can't be right.

I promise I am not just being lazy asking these questions. There's something about Windows 10 that intermittently shuts me out of SAW's HELP menu. As of now, I haven't been able to open it for a week or more. If I ever get it open again, I will probably print out the entire SAW Basic User Manual. For now, though, I'm stuck. HELP!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Few More Questions, If You Don't Mind?

I have say you have so many questions and issues that IMHO could easily be solved if you took time to read the manual or watch the many free tutorials out there.

In SAW Full and Lite, mousewheel horizontal zoom can be made the default behavior, if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel. I find it terribly useful - it can be found in the Multitrack/Mousewheel menu.
    The other option there is hot track scroll. Either choice can be made the default (be sure to save this behavior with your preference file, either as default or separate preference file (I find that useful at times). Either default choice can be overridden by simply using the Alt key in combination with the mouse scroll wheel...... Very nice!

To clear an automation change(s), highlight it/them and press the delete key. To clear multiple channels of automation in the same highlighted area, select each channel needed by blackening the channel number, press delete and all the automation in that area is cleared at once. Even more useful can be to highlight ONLY one particular automation type (such as volume adjustments) in instances where you might have also automated changes to eq, or dynamics, for instance. To select only on type of automation, either 1- place your cursor in front of the type you want to delete, then press the v key, which will filter out all the rest....... highlight what you want to delete and hit the delete key. You can also select the automation type to filter by choosing it from the filter menu, by right-clicking on the Automation "A" button in the MT area. Getting back to the normal automation view is done simply by pressing the "v" key again.

Clearing regions from a given track (or multiple blackened track numbers again) is accomplished in multiple ways - simplest might be to make the track you want be the hot track. The press the Shift/End key combination. This will make the entire track a "marked" area. Press delete..... done. Another method is to press 'S' for Select mode. Then with the cursor at zero and the appropriate track selected as the hot track, press the End key (you may need to select the first region by left-clicking on it in select mode - I don't recall at the moment). This will select all regions on the track (actually from wherever your cursor is to the end - vice versa, you can hit the Home key to select every region from the currently selected region to zero).

Now, I don't know for certain that all these methods are the same in Basic, but they are pretty SAW-standardized, I think.
    I wouldn't have bothered you with options, but there are just so many more ways to accomplish your tasks in SAW today, that you should at least be aware of a couple options per desired task, to take full advantage and increase your workflow - it's great!

By the way - don't shy away from asking questions when you feel you need to. One person's view may contain insights that the manual may have overlooked or taken for granted..... and often times an explanation of a process can bring clarity where the help file's explanation may have simply missed your brain cells at that moment. It happens to everyone. We (mostly) like to be here to help each other out....... It happens that I also remember that your goal is to get answers to some basics to get you back up to the speed you were comfortable with in the earlier SAW version for - what? - 20 years you say?....... a long time! We're here for anybody that needs help.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 04-12-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I have say you have so many questions and issues that IMHO could easily be solved if you took time to read the manual or watch the many free tutorials out there.
    Nah...you didn't have to say that.

Thank you, UpTilDawn. I guess you got your screen name by staying up all night answering questions from dumb asses like me?

I will try some of your solutions when I am in front of SAW again. Geez, I would give up about 70% of the things the new version does just to have some of the old conveniences back!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Thank you, UpTilDawn. I guess you got your screen name by staying up all night answering questions from dumb asses like me?

I will try some of your solutions when I am in front of SAW again. Geez, I would give up about 70% of the things the new version does just to have some of the old conveniences back!
    You will appreciate the convenience in those changes..... give it about 1/2-hr to sink in and you'll love it.

If you are having trouble opening the helpfile... download the pdf version from www.sawstudio.com.

Bob L

Unhappy Re: A Few More Questions, If You Don't Mind?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    You will appreciate the convenience in those changes..... give it about 1/2-hr to sink in and you'll love it.
    Just to clarify, it's not that I don't think SAW is awesome. It's just that I only need about twelve of its functions to get through any of my projects. I chose it over the freebee tools because it's somewhat familiar to me and I really respect the "clean" installation and operation. So when I need to re-learn a shortcut that suddenly isn't the same after twenty years of SAWse, I find it frustrating to have to sift through the entire 285-page manual to find a simple one or two-keystroke answer.

I think I will stop asking for help here, though. Even Bob seems to be losing patience with me.

Blog Entries

Tom,
    It's just that I only need about twelve of its functions to get through any of my projects.
    ...May I ask what these "about twelve of its functions" are? Make a list, check it twice and then let those who can help - help.

Blog Entries

Here is a direct link to download the Help File in .pdf

http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads/M...tudioBasic.zip