Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recording Internal Audio

Windows XP OS had a 'Stereo Mix', in the Windows mixer panel, later Windows OS's seems to have dropped it. But if your computer uses a Realtek sound card, Realtek drivers include this option as an input. If your using Win 7, right click on the speaker icon and select 'Recording Devices', if you have this option, you will see it. Not all sound cards give you this option. If you have a 'Stereo Mix' option, SAW can use it as an input and you can record any sound playing through windows.

In the event that you don't have a 'Stereo Mix' option, you can download a great free program called Audacity...very easy to use. With Audacity you can access a Windows low level driver called WASAPI. Not all audio programs can access WASAPI, SAW can't but maybe BOB can include it in future versions of SAW...."hint, hint". I use Audacity on my laptop to record sounds off the Web, and you don't need any specific sound card or any loopback configuration.

Name:  WASAPI.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  62.4 KB
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Danny O View Post
    Windows XP OS had a 'Stereo Mix', in the Windows mixer panel, later Windows OS's seems to have dropped it. But if your computer uses a Realtek sound card, Realtek drivers include this option as an input. If your using Win 7, right click on the speaker icon and select 'Recording Devices', if you have this option, you will see it. Not all sound cards give you this option. If you have a 'Stereo Mix' option, SAW can use it as an input and you can record any sound playing through windows.

In the event that you don't have a 'Stereo Mix' option, you can download a great free program called Audacity...very easy to use. With Audacity you can access a Windows low level driver called WASAPI. Not all audio programs can access WASAPI, SAW can't but maybe BOB can include it in future versions of SAW...."hint, hint". I use Audacity on my laptop to record sounds off the Web, and you don't need any specific sound card or any loopback configuration.

Name:  WASAPI.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  62.4 KB
    Like Danny, I have used Audacity to record internet audio, but would prefer to use SAW.
    Any new tips on how to do this with SAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Snape View Post
    Like Danny, I have used Audacity to record internet audio, but would prefer to use SAW.
    Any new tips on how to do this with SAW?
    Hi Ed. Here's one: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Blog Entries

Hello,

There is also a plug-in called "WDM2VST" from O Deus Software - sadly no longer in business.

If you are interested - do a 'Net-check first, I do have the plug-ins.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-17-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look at these and check for availability.

Best, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    PS: I have yet to record anything using SAWStudio as of yet - so please be gentle!</em>
    My initial reaction to this statement is shock as you have been part of the Saw community for some time - but the reality is that it is interesting how each of us may use these tools in totally different ways. Anyway, have fun if you dive in on this - Studio does do it quite well.

If you get into multitracking, my primary suggestion is to take a minimalist approach. For a long time nearly every mix I did had too much. Guitar, vocal, effects, you name it. I understand this is a common phenomenon for those of us who don't learn in a studio environment. We can spend huge amounts of time perfecting edits... but the destruction of your perspective is usually the first thing that is really achieved.

Of course that is just an observation of a pitfall that impacts me (and perhaps many others) - some people can do the many track thing well.

Now when I analyze nearly all of the music I really love, the recording and editing was done competently - but not to excess. Great songs and performances overcome many of the warts - which sometimes even wind up being a valuable part of the whole.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    I have download and installed both the A-B and the Hi Fi cable apps and the cables appear in both in SAW and my HP windows 7 control panel sound options. I am embarrassed to admit that I am now unsure as to set all of this up. Any step by steps instructions would be greatly appreciated. In every trial that I have attempted SAW reports "source buffer under run".

Thanks, Ed

I have download and installed both the A-B and the Hi Fi cable apps and the cables appear in both in SAW and my HP windows 7 control panel sound options. I am embarrassed to admit that I am now unsure as to set all of this up. Any step by steps instructions would be greatly appreciated. In every trial that I have attempted SAW reports "source buffer under run".

Thanks, Ed
    Set the Windows default output device to VB cable. Set SAW's input device to VB cable. (Leave SAW's output device set to whatever you normally would use for playback audio -- that's how you hear it.) Anything you playback through the windows output device will now show up at SAW's input. I just tried it, and it worked. Had to up the playback buffers to avoid skipping audio. Oh -- and had to change the monitoring over to tape style so I could hear what was being recorded during recording.

Remember, it's a single virtual cable. You connect each end to get audio from here to there. Here and there can be anything that will see an audio device. Like an audio program or an OS (e.g., Windows).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Set the Windows default output device to VB cable. Set SAW's input device to VB cable. (Leave SAW's output device set to whatever you normally would use for playback audio -- that's how you hear it.) Anything you playback through the windows output device will now show up at SAW's input. I just tried it, and it worked. Had to up the playback buffers to avoid skipping audio. Oh -- and had to change the monitoring over to tape style so I could hear what was being recorded during recording.

Remember, it's a single virtual cable. You connect each end to get audio from here to there. Here and there can be anything that will see an audio device. Like an audio program or an OS (e.g., Windows).
    Thank you Dave. Its all working good. Initially I failed to set these to DEFAULT, but after I reread your instructions and followed them exactly all is good.

Many thanks,
    Ed

Thank you Dave. Its all working good. Initially I failed to set these to DEFAULT, but after I reread your instructions and followed them exactly all is good.

Many thanks,
    Ed
    Cool deal.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts