Close

Thread: OT: Thunderbolt

Blog Entries

Default OT: Thunderbolt

Hello,

Anyone using Thunderbolt - with PC's of course?

I am looking at a refurbished Dell Precision LT with 17.3" screen and with Thunderbolt 3.

I am thinking of adding the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre to complete the ensemble.

Any comments or suggestions?

PS: At 63, I really need to consider the portability factor - being the sole roadie and performer as well.

2. Default Re: OT: Thunderbolt

I had good results with a Lynx Aurora Thunderbold soundcard and a Lenovo W541 laptop (windows 10, i7-4910MQ CPU, 16GB RAM) using the build in Thunderbold port of the Lenovo. But the overall performance depends very much on the dedicated Windows Thunderbold driver itself. The Motu Windows Thunderbold drivers are not that good for example. Can't comment on the Focusrite, but the Lynx windows drivers for thunderbold are really good, worked stable with 32samples during my test.
    Hope that helps.

I hope, that I can can get one of the new PreSonus Quantum interfaces. I like to test it also with windows&thunderbolt.
    Last edited by Wurst Werner; 05-02-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Default Re: OT: Thunderbolt

[QUOTE= the Lynx windows drivers for thunderbold are really good, worked stable with 32ms during my test.
    .[/QUOTE]

Hope you meant 32 samples and not 32ms of latency

Butch

I'm using Presonus Saffire 54 into an Asus Laptop via the Laptops' integral Thunderbolt port. I am using it for SAW and Reaper but I can get latency's at 64 samples with out issues. I've not done any tracking, only mixing, so I cannot speak to a SAC / Live audio situation...

The Asus spec's are Intel i7 2.4GHz and 12G RAM
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; 05-02-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Blog Entries

Hello,

Thanks all for the replies.

It would appear that for the most part, Thunderbolt on the PC platform is still a fairly new technology, and I really do not want to be on the cutting edge of this technology.

I know that the Pro40 worked well with FireWire and therefore, I may just go that route again.

PS: I do have Focusrite looking into this at the moment, so I will just have to wait and see what they have to say. I do know that the Clarett 8Pre is not Thunderbolt 3 compatible.

6. Default Re: OT: Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    Hope you meant 32 samples and not 32ms of latency

Butch

lol...you're right, I meant 32 samples.

Hey, a little slap-back is cool. Even at 100% wet.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts