Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

  1. #11

    Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    In the long run, I find it best to keep all your editing work in the lossless wav file format, including the final mixdown... then convert that to whatever format you need for distribution... this way you always have a final mix as a master at the highest quality...Bob L
    Thanks, Bob.

    I always, always, always mix my primary master copy in .wav format. I only send demos in mp3 format, so clients are able to listen quickly on their computer speakers. Had this plug-in not required so many steps and not been so cumbersome (in my opinion), I'd have stuck with it. But yes, I agree that using a dedicated conversion program is the better way to go for me. For anyone interested, I recommend NCR's "Switch."

  2. #12

    Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    I use LACE several times a month to mix mp3 radio spots. It's patched in my default radio spot session that I use as a starting point. The values are already entered, so to get an mp3, I just Mix to FX. Like many tools, it takes a bit of getting used to and some initial set-up, but after the first couple of uses, it takes the same amount of user effort/time to generate an mp3 as it does to generate a wav.

    Things to remember:
    Set the SS final res to 44-16 or 48-16. MP3 will truncate higher resolutions.
    Watch out for odd destination folders. Not sure why it doesn't default to the session folder. Wish it did.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

  3. #13

    Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I use LACE several times a month to mix mp3 radio spots. It's patched in my default radio spot session that I use as a starting point. The values are already entered, so to get an mp3, I just Mix to FX. Like many tools, it takes a bit of getting used to and some initial set-up, but after the first couple of uses, it takes the same amount of user effort/time to generate an mp3 as it does to generate a wav.

    Things to remember:
    Set the SS final res to 44-16 or 48-16. MP3 will truncate higher resolutions.
    Watch out for odd destination folders. Not sure why it doesn't default to the session folder. Wish it did.
    What Ian said, except:

    1) It's not "Mix to FX," but, actually, "Build Mix to FX Modules." (Sorry, Ian; trying to keep it all straight for the newbie. )

    2) Be sure you have the quality in LACE set to "high" to get the best rendered MP3 output.

    Like with Ian, some of the projects I do always want just an MP3 deliverable (like voice-over auditions), so I have a Mix Template for that, with LACE patched in and set up at the end of the Output bus. It's the quickest way to get the MP3 out the door. I never even look at the LACE interface. After editing and mixing is complete, I just select the correct Build Mix menu item, and we're off to the races.

    That said, on most projects I do like Bob and output a WAV, then I use a cool right-click tool to create an MP3 from it in File Explorer (dBpoweramp). But when MP3 is all I need, that LACE-laced Mix Template is pretty handy.

    All hail Jon Marshall Smith for all the gratis plug-in coding he did that continues to be super helpful to us.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-21-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

  4. #14

    Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    Thanks, guys.

    As I mentioned, I did get LACE working, but it doesn't seem to be permanent. Instead, it appears that I have to sort of reinstall it for every session. Once again, I don't have too many opportunities to use SAW (like I did back in the 90's and 00's), so I will play with it again when I get around to it and let you know what happens.

    TM

  5. #15

    Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    If MP3 output is something you use with any regularity, when you get a typical session done using LACE, save your default Mix Template and Preferences files. Then each time you open SS, the plugins and settings you used in that session will already be patched for you.

    For example, the majority of my sessions have voiceover on Track 1, so my Mix Template has a name for Track 1 and a compressor patched with the usual settings. Every time I start SawStudio, it's set up that way. If I'm doing something different, I can bypass or delete the plugin, or just use a different track.

    On the File menu, click Mix Template File, then Save Default.

    Also on the File menu, click Preferences File, then Save Default.

    Finally, I grudgingly admit that using the correct terms is helpful. My undying gratitude to Dave for adding the full detail.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

  6. #16

    Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    Yah...I appreciate all the additional input, but I'm on a total simplicity kick lately and even all these dumbed- down methods of mixing to mp3 on SAW are still much more work than just importing the wav files into SWITCH and outputting the exact mp3 file I need.

    Thanks to everyone, but no matter how hard you try to beat LACE into my head, I'm going with Bob's suggestion and sticking to my old method!

  7. #17

    Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Yah...I appreciate all the additional input, but I'm on a total simplicity kick lately and even all these dumbed- down methods of mixing to mp3 on SAW are still much more work than just importing the wav files into SWITCH and outputting the exact mp3 file I need.

    Thanks to everyone, but no matter how hard you try to beat LACE into my head, I'm going with Bob's suggestion and sticking to my old method!
    Fine. Now how do I get these lace marks off my baseball bat?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

  8. #18

    Wink Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Fine. Now how do I get these lace marks off my baseball bat?
    You have to download, install, and configure the DeLACEr Eraser. But first, you'll have to open your registry and reset the BX42 value (this should be a square root of the M26$ level) and then you have to deactivate the HVr, the T2Q, and the screetie poleeti modules in SAW. Then you have to make sure you delete all your Windows files and everything else that makes the computer function.

    Let me know if this works for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •