Close

1. Default Feeding talk back to solo buss

Hi All

I have now been using SAC for IEMS for around two years, with great success, the show I use it on varies from a basic five pieces to a 21 piece and sometimes more all on in ears. We have to have Talk Mic from FOH and monitors to enable a smooth line check and sound check. However during the show the musicians do not want the talk back mics but it would be good if I could hear the FOH engineer should he need to talk to me. I have been trying to configure my talk mic and the FOH talk mic to always go to the solo buss no matter what I am doing. We need it so I and the backline tech who is also on the solo buss can hear the FOH engineer.

I tried by using one mixer for the TAlk Mics and routing these to the same ASIO output as the solo bus but whenever I solo channel or mixer it disappears.

The only workaround I can think of is is to use two outputs for each mixer one for the musician and one for me, however this then leaves the possibility open that a mixer outputs may be muted without me knowing and we all know the problems this can lead to. I guess I could use a side mixer for the solo bus and bring the talk mics in there also, but that defeats the compactness of the sac system.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Or suggestions that would avoid the above pitfalls?

Default Re: Feeding talk back to solo buss

Hi,

route the PFL output to your talkback mixer using an external cable connection.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

3. Default Re: Feeding talk back to solo buss

Quote Originally Posted by TomyN View Post
    Hi,

route the PFL output to your talkback mixer using an external cable connection.

Tomy
    We are not using a talk back mixer and don't want to, so is there no way of doing this without an external mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh J View Post
    Hi All

I have now been using SAC for IEMS for around two years, with great success, the show I use it on varies from a basic five pieces to a 21 piece and sometimes more all on in ears. We have to have Talk Mic from FOH and monitors to enable a smooth line check and sound check. However during the show the musicians do not want the talk back mics but it would be good if I could hear the FOH engineer should he need to talk to me. I have been trying to configure my talk mic and the FOH talk mic to always go to the solo buss no matter what I am doing. We need it so I and the backline tech who is also on the solo buss can hear the FOH engineer.

I tried by using one mixer for the TAlk Mics and routing these to the same ASIO output as the solo bus but whenever I solo channel or mixer it disappears.

The only workaround I can think of is is to use two outputs for each mixer one for the musician and one for me, however this then leaves the possibility open that a mixer outputs may be muted without me knowing and we all know the problems this can lead to. I guess I could use a side mixer for the solo bus and bring the talk mics in there also, but that defeats the compactness of the sac system.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Or suggestions that would avoid the above pitfalls?
    Put your talkback mic on a spare channel (lets say 60).

Turn on and off with Mute. (the monitor mixer view is perfect for this).

Use a spare monitor mixer for the monitor engineer FOH to Monitor Engineer feed (don't mute this and it will be always be on).

I think that should do what your asking for.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

5. Default Re: Feeding talk back to solo buss

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Put your talkback mic on a spare channel (lets say 60).

Turn on and off with Mute. (the monitor mixer view is perfect for this).

Use a spare monitor mixer for the monitor engineer FOH to Monitor Engineer feed (don't mute this and it will be always be on).

I think that should do what your asking for.
    Thanks for your thoughts. This only works if monitor engineer stays on that mixer the moment you solos another mix or Chanel the FOH talk will disappear. Unless i am misunderstanding your explanation? I need to be able to use the solo function without muting the talk. I need to hear it, the musicians do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh J View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. This only works if monitor engineer stays on that mixer the moment you solos another mix or Chanel the FOH talk will disappear. Unless i am misunderstanding your explanation? I need to be able to use the solo function without muting the talk. I need to hear it, the musicians do not.
    I haven't tested this yet, but I'm pretty sure if you set the solo bus output and the Mon Mix output to the same output feed you will get what your looking for.

Pushing the solo button shouldn't disable the output from the mix output.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.