Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipped Buffers

Blog Entries

Default Slipped Buffers

Hello,

Any one care to tell me why I get slipped buffers only on the first launch of SAC?

For example, load a session with TH3 - slipped buffers, which vary depending oh what the mixer and SAC setting are used...but there are always slipped buffers.

Close and re-open the session...no slipped buffers...and it would appear none show up after that.

Therefore, slipped buffers only on first launch of SAC.

Dell Precision M67000 Workstation - stripped and tweaked
    * nVidia K4000 video card
    * Core i7 running only 2 cores
    * Startech EC13942 Firewire ExpressCard with approved Firewire chipset
    Focusrite PRO 40 using Firewire
    * ASIO Buffer size: 64
    * Firewire driver latency: short

I look forward to any comments. Thank you.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 06-08-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Default Re: Skipped Buffers

I have seen this also with some plug ins
    Does not seem to cause any problems just stop and restart audio engine to clear buffer disply

Butch

Blog Entries

Butch,

Thanks...so what of "longevity"...I am mainly concerned about the whole system doing down.

I have not used the new system "live" yet...initial testing is going OK - except for the initial slipped buffers.

Just a bit concerned...that is all.

Blog Entries

Butch,
    ...just stop and restart audio engine to clear buffer display...
    ...So after doing so, was the system stable at that point?

SAC automatically adjust for slipped buffers so it does not matter as long as they do not keep counting up
    And yes SAC has been VERY stable for me over the last 6 years or so

Butch

I've seen the same "problem" on all the Lenovo laptop systems I have built. Firewire? But I got used to opening SAC then shutting down and opening again, after that seldom any slipped buffers. This has happened on towers as well but the one constant was firewire interfaces. I haven't tried any USB interfaces to see if it happens with them. As far as I can tell it has never affected the performance of SAC, just something I live with.
    S. Lewis
    Mountain View Recording
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Richmond, KY

Blog Entries

Default Re: Slipped Buffers

Butch and Steve,

Thank you both for your replies and your insights. Much appreciated indeed!

Steve, your observations regarding Firewire seem relevant. I wonder how RME Firewire drivers function? I have heard from others that Tascam's Firewire drivers are much better than Focusrite's. Interesting.

As with you Steve, opening, shutting down and then re-opening SAC seems to correct the initial slipped buffers issues. Again, this anomaly IS interesting!

And as you both have also experienced, opening, shutting down and then re-opening SAC does not seem to affect the subsequent performance of SAC. Interesting!

With all respect to you sir....
    Why would you or anyone use FW on PC with SAC????
    It was meant to be used on MACs...

Use something else, something that has been proven to be working smoothly and you wont get into trouble.

This is the main reason why SAC never got to that level! Bob(thinking he was doing a heroic thing) gave people
    an alternative to play around with hardware combinations fir SAC use, to try out different audio cards and interfaces
    for live sound, never tested before, and that caused a total chaos, a mass disappointment and negative feedback.
    Companies never give out testing to the public, as the ordinary human can be very harsh, pathetic and arrogant in the same time.
    If they do, you get a discount and an agreement to be quiet about it and not trash around like some as.........s here, few years back.

Though it is still not over for SAC, as you can still profit from the benefits of the software and use it for great live acts and shows,yet
    we are getting close to an era where affordable console are coming out that have plugins implemented into its systems.I really hope that
    Bob will come up with a solution and that my dream of using SAC on Huge shows with a dedicated controller will come true.
    Last edited by operationwhat; 06-10-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by operationwhat View Post
    With all respect to you sir....
    Why would you or anyone use FW on PC with SAC????
    It was meant to be used on MACs...

Use something else, something that has been proven to be working smoothly and you wont get into trouble.

This is the main reason why SAC never got to that level! Bob(thinking he was doing a heroic thing) gave people
    an alternative to play around with hardware combinations fir SAC use, to try out different audio cards and interfaces
    for live sound, never tested before, and that caused a total chaos, a mass disappointment and negative feedback.
    Companies never give out testing to the public, as the ordinary human can be very harsh, pathetic and arrogant in the same time.
    If they do, you get a discount and an agreement to be quiet about it and not trash around like some as.........s here, few years back.

Though it is still not over for SAC, as you can still profit from the benefits of the software and use it for great live acts and shows,yet
    we are getting close to an era where affordable console are coming out that have plugins implemented into its systems.I really hope that
    Bob will come up with a solution and that my dream of using SAC on Huge shows with a dedicated controller will come true.
    Right on!
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Ouch!

But got it...."going back to the ole..."...wait a minute...."RME"!

Thanks, guys!