Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default OT: Mini-ITX Motherboards

Hello,

Anyone have any recommendations on Mini-ITX motherboards?

...and/or 1U rack mount cases and configuration using the RME HDSP 9652.

PS: Just considering it...lots of cons I know...

Thank you!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 06-20-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Default Re: OT: Mini-ITX Motherboards

My choice is a MoBo Gigabyte GA-H61N-D2V ,3.4 GHz i3 1155 processor and 1U Rack case from X-Case UK and a PCI hammerfall RME connected to a Digiface , your choice would be the same but using a 1.5U case that allows you to fit the expansion board of 9652, i,m frankly happy with my system and it is very reliable.
    Not too easy to find this board at this time.
    Hosts:Gigabite MB 2 Gb.RAM E5400 RME 9632 Win XP SP III /the same but w/Q6600 and digi 9652-ada 8K and Apogee Mini Me via AES/EBU,Traveler MK1,MBox 2
    Remotes:Sony Vaio and generic Centrino 1.73-Dv-Link Router and USB Sticks, SAC & SSLite all native RML labs Plugins.

Watch this out...Name:  SAC 24.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  95.2 KB
    Hosts:Gigabite MB 2 Gb.RAM E5400 RME 9632 Win XP SP III /the same but w/Q6600 and digi 9652-ada 8K and Apogee Mini Me via AES/EBU,Traveler MK1,MBox 2
    Remotes:Sony Vaio and generic Centrino 1.73-Dv-Link Router and USB Sticks, SAC & SSLite all native RML labs Plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Anyone have any recommendations on Mini-ITX motherboards?

...and/or 1U rack mount cases and configuration using the RME HDSP 9652.

PS: Just considering it...lots of cons I know...

Thank you!
    I'm doing a new build right now as I purchased a higher resolution Dell U2515H UltraSharp monitor as part of a system reconfiguration and unfortunately my 2010 ASUS core i5 build doesn't support resolutions above 2048x1536 and I need to get to 2560 x 1440.

I still recommend doing 1.5u or 2u case. The difference in airflow capacity of the fans is significant. You'll also appreciate the additional space available as well. The 1.5u case I use allows stacked cards instead of having to place them horizontally adjacent. (I'm using a RAYDat card).

In my particular case I was looking for a motherboard with display port and gen 7 cpu support. This limited my selection to a narrower range of motherboards.

I ended up purchasing the following.

1 x ($104.99) MSI H270M MORTAR ARCTIC LGA 1151 Intel H270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $104.99
    1 x ($119.99) Intel Core i3-7100 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.9 GHz LGA 1151 51W BX80677I37100 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 630 $119.99
    1 x ($68.99) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) $68.99
    1 x ($129.99) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E250BW $129.99
    1 x (-$5.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE FOR SAMSUNG 960 EVO
    -$5.00

Subtotal: $418.96
    Tax: $30.37
    Shipping and Handling: $1.99
    Total Amount: $451.32

I've got both Win7 and Win10 licenses and haven't decided which version of the OS I will settle on, but I will be moving to one or the other (I will be testing both).

I have XP installed on my existing system, but there is other software I need to run on the same system. Win XP is no longer supported for the newer versions of the software, making it desirable to move to win7 or newer.

The existing system is a 3.2GHz core i5-650 with DDR3 RAM and a Samsung SSD on one of the SATA ports. The new system is a 3.9GHz core i3-7100 with DDR4 RAM and a Samsung NVMe SSD connected on an m.2 port.

The newer generation core i3 benchmarks significantly faster than the older core i5, so even with the less efficient OS I'm anticipating better overall system performance with the added benefit of lower power requirements. The TPD for the Core i5 is 73W, the Core i3 is only 51W.

I'll post my system test results once all the parts arrive later next week.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Curious, why the i3? I've never been super happy with i3 performance.

Blog Entries

averombri,
    ...i,m frankly happy with my system and it is very reliable.
    ...How are you finding the "fan noise levels" - I have heard nothing all that great about 1U chassis.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

I am looking at this case however: In Win IW-RF100

Dimensions: 14.3" x 19" x 1.75"
    Weight: 7.5lbs
    Form factor: ATX, as I already have an ASUS Z170-P using an i5.

I will be using integrated video and 1U riser card for the RME card.
    For this new system, weight is important, and this is one of the lightest chassis that I have found.
    I have not yet settled on things yet as I have some queries yet to hear back on.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

I am looking at this case however: In Win IW-RF100

Dimensions: 14.3" x 19" x 1.75"
    Weight: 7.5lbs
    Form factor: ATX, as I already have an ASUS Z170-P using an i5.

I will be using integrated video and 1U riser card for the RME card.
    For this new system, weight is important, and this is one of the lightest chassis that I have found.
    I have not yet settled on things yet as I have some queries yet to hear back on.
    Thats definitely light weight.

Bear in mind the case is only 1mm thick sheet steel, so you'll probably need to be careful with it as it will likely have a tendency to flex. (shouldn't be an issue once its racked into a case).

You will however be thermally constrained. It only takes 40mm fans, so they have to spin at a high rate of speed to move any air (meaning loud).

I also don't believe you have enough space to put a fan directly the CPU so you'll be limited to a passive CPU cooler (heat sink).

One other thing to note, that case only has space for a single PCI card. You won't be able to use the 2nd half of your RME 9652 (limiting you to 16 channels).
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    Curious, why the i3? I've never been super happy with i3 performance.
    The core i3 is significantly faster than the core i5 650 its replacing and 20watts less heat.

I could do a current generation core i5, but if I want to stay with the lower 65 watt TDP parts, the fastest CPU I can get is 3.5 GHz, so for single threaded operations I should still be getting slightly better performance from the 3.9GHz core i3 and I still save 14 watts of heat and $100+.
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,
    #1. I also don't believe you have enough space to put a fan directly the CPU so you'll be limited to a passive CPU cooler (heat sink).
    R1: I am using a Noctua NH-L9i 95mm cooler.

#2. One other thing to note, that case only has space for a single PCI card. You won't be able to use the 2nd half of your RME 9652 (limiting you to 16 channels).
    R2: That does not concern me at all as I will only be using eight channels at the most.