Close

Thread: x-touch on V4.4

Default x-touch on V4.4

Hi,

using my x-touch with SAC 4.4 for the first time, I noticed some nice things, like the midi - device file and setting being remembered.
    But I also noticed that using a special German charakter ( we have more of them :-) but I used only the ä in a name) for channel labels causes problems with the label display on the x-touch. The label will not show but the next channel labels will shift to the left. If I switch to the Dynamics mode and then back to 'Pan + Fader', the labels starting from left including the channel with the 'bad' label will not update but will keep showing the labels of the EQ setting page.
    Furthermore the x-touch makes noise everytime you change the selected channel in the software, even if you're not in the range showing on the x-touch.
    Removing the 'bad' character fixes all those issues. I never seen that before (but I'm not sure if I ever used 'special' chars for labels in earlier versions). So a filter for the character input (or at least for the characters transfered to the midi - controll) filtering 'bad' characters would be nice.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Default Re: x-touch on V4.4

Quote Originally Posted by TomyN View Post
    Hi,

using my x-touch with SAC 4.4 for the first time, I noticed some nice things, like the midi - device file and setting being remembered.
    But I also noticed that using a special German charakter ( we have more of them :-) but I used only the ä in a name) for channel labels causes problems with the label display on the x-touch. The label will not show but the next channel labels will shift to the left. If I switch to the Dynamics mode and then back to 'Pan + Fader', the labels starting from left including the channel with the 'bad' label will not update but will keep showing the labels of the EQ setting page.
    Furthermore the x-touch makes noise everytime you change the selected channel in the software, even if you're not in the range showing on the x-touch.
    Removing the 'bad' character fixes all those issues. I never seen that before (but I'm not sure if I ever used 'special' chars for labels in earlier versions). So a filter for the character input (or at least for the characters transfered to the midi - controll) filtering 'bad' characters would be nice.

Tomy
    So not to deny you your special characters, but wouldn't it just be easier to just use the "a" without the umlaut?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

well, that's what I'll do. But I did not expect that an 'Umlaut' will have so much effect. I'd expect the character missing on the label or showing a strange symbol or some kind of 'missing something' symbol like - or _
    Furthermore I think that using characters with bit7 set ( i.e > ASCII $7F) will have negative effects on the performance of the midi - controller. And that can be avoided easily.

Tomy
    Last edited by TomyN; 07-03-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomyN View Post
    well, that's what I'll do. But I did not expect that an 'Umlaut' will have so much effect. I'd expect the character missing on the label or showing a strange symbol or some kind of 'missing something' symbol like - or _
    Furthermore I think that using characters with bit7 set ( i.e > ASCII $7F) will have negative effects on the performance of the midi - controller. And that can be avoided easily.

Tomy
    of coarse its probably something that should have been trapped for on the X-Touch firmware. You may also want to send a note off to Berhinger.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Hi good point. But before reporting it, I'd like to verify that this x-touch related and not a SAC problem. So could someone with 'Umlaut' check if the problem occurs on other DAW controller also.

Thanks

Tomy

Its most likely going to be a problem on all midi stuff since the top bit is set which denotes control characters in the midi spec.

Never thought about it before... its probably something I should filter on midi names and such before sending it out.

Bob L

Hi,

yes, I think a simple AND $F7 should do the job.

Tomy