Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interleaved with 24 FPS timecode and Avid compatibility

I've been asked to do ADR for with somebody who's going to be at Comicon. They've asked me to deliver:

• Regions exported as wav files, 24 frame timecode, interleaved, with Avid compatibility

Is there a way to do this in SAW?

In the past, I've either given them BWF's with Rail's program or AAF exported with AATranslator.

Any light on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Default Re: Interleaved with 24 FPS timecode and Avid compatibility

Anything is "Avid compatible," really, but as a daily Pro Tools user, I'd much prefer to get the AAF if given the choice. Import it and boom, my session instantly looks like your session. Don't worry about any frame rate issues. As long as your session is at 24, your time code starts at the right place (often 00:59:30:00) and your AAF export is at 24, you're golden. Since they specified 'interleaved,' I'd assume they want your shotgun on the left channel and lav on the right. Pretty standard practice.

Thanks Sean. They want the talent on a near U87 and a distant U87, that's not a problem.
    But they also want a "reader" on track 3. I've never interleaved 3 tracks, or am I missing something here?
    I've got a question to the Ninjago folks about this. As far as I know only the talent will be showing up.

Will this be handled by export to AFF?
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Thanks Sean. They want the talent on a near U87 and a distant U87, that's not a problem.
    But they also want a "reader" on track 3. I've never interleaved 3 tracks, or am I missing something here?
    I've got a question to the Ninjago folks about this. As far as I know only the talent will be showing up.

Will this be handled by export to AFF?
    Your getting caught up with the term "interleaved".

A multitrack WAV file is an interleaved file. There isn't anything special about the track order, just that all of the tracks are stored in a single file instead of seperate individual files.

A non-interleaved stereo track would actually be two files (left and right).

An interleaved stereo track is just a standard stereo audio file. (On file containing both left/right audio).

A Broadcast Wave File (BWF) is a variation of the standard WAV file (lossless). The file format is intended for the exchange of audio material between different broadcast environments and equipment based on different computer platforms. Based on the Microsoft WAVE audio file format, Broadcast Wave adds a required "Broadcast Audio Extension" (bext) chunk to hold the minimum information considered necessary for broadcast applications. Additional metadata chunks have also been developed.

The WAV file has metadata info for number of tracks, bit depth (16, 24, etc) and clock (44kHz, 48kHz, etc). The BWF format adds additional metadata for things like frame rate, in your case 24 FPS.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Philip,

You're absolutely right. I was trying to figure out how to get 3 tracks on one file. As it turns out they don't need the 3rd "reader" track so all is good. I'm trying to sort out how they're different from the other files I've delivered.

I'll deliver as usual and let then ask for specifics ... I guess.

Thanks all this is place is a well of information,
    Bill

Bill Corkery Productions

Near and distant U-87's for ADR? That would be very unusual and potentially difficult to match to location audio. Sounds more like narration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post
    Near and distant U-87's for ADR? That would be very unusual and potentially difficult to match to location audio. Sounds more like narration.
    What's the purpose of the distant mic track? I'm curious. I can't imagine they'd expect to get anywhere near the same ambient sound compared with existing shotgun audio they may be trying to match.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    What's the purpose of the distant mic track? I'm curious. I can't imagine they'd expect to get anywhere near the same ambient sound compared with existing shotgun audio they may be trying to match.
    It's a question for me, too. I was wondering if they meant just far enough to avoid proximity effect.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    It's a question for me, too. I was wondering if they meant just far enough to avoid proximity effect.
    Hmmm... I was thinking other side of the room. Yeah, maybe they just want options like that for matching. Maybe they can play with phase between the two? Who knows?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

It's not uncommon to use two identical mics 8-12 inches apart in distance for highly dynamic recording, such as animation voices, so that if the talent surprises the engineer and pins the needles on the close mic, the secondary mic will stand a chance of catching it cleanly. For ADR, as far as I know (and how I've always experienced it), any screaming, grunting or other fight or exertion sounds are saved for the end of the session, both to allow the engineer to adjust the input levels and to save the talent from blowing themselves out before the actual dialogue is recorded. I don't think I've ever seen near-far used for ADR, but I guess there might be a certain logic to it. Still, a U-87 isn't going to come close to matching anything that might have been used in the field.