Close

Default Way OT: computer whizzes -- what do you think about this?

As you may know, Quickbooks developers have made it so that each version loses it's ability to import bank transactions (via .QBO files) after three years as part of their sunsetting policy. I'm still on QB Pro 2008 and am loathe to pay more money for the latest version; the old one works great for me. But I sure would love to avoid all the manual data entry.

So I had this thought: what if I reset my computer's clock to 2009 when importing files, then set it back to present day afterward.

1) do you think this would work?

2) what kind of havoc might I wreak with QB or my system in general?

Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: Way OT: computer whizzes -- what do you think about this?

Dave,

Yepppers...this is certainly "off topic" - that is, unless you are using QB from well deserved revenue from using RML products!

I use QB 2003 - and continue to use it. I have not attempted what you are suggesting, but have done may other "back-dating" operations.

All that I can say is - is that it cannot hurt to try.

My suggestion, install QB on a test system, copy over some "live" data, set back the clock and then - "see wha 'appens, Mate!"

Keep me apprised of your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    As you may know, Quickbooks developers have made it so that each version loses it's ability to import bank transactions (via .QBO files) after three years as part of their sunsetting policy. I'm still on QB Pro 2008 and am loathe to pay more money for the latest version; the old one works great for me. But I sure would love to avoid all the manual data entry.

So I had this thought: what if I reset my computer's clock to 2009 when importing files, then set it back to present day afterward.

1) do you think this would work?

2) what kind of havoc might I wreak with QB or my system in general?

short answer is no, others have already tried that without success.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Thanks, guys. Bummer. I guess that would be too obvious a thing for the coders to miss.

If anyone knows any work-arounds to import transaction data to QB, I'm all ears.
    Becket, Massachusetts

It looks like QB can also import transactions from a CSV (comma separated values) file and that the QBO files can be converted to this format - perhaps give that a try? I don't use QB, so I have no idea what your chances are but it seems worth a shot if the conversion process is not too onerous.

Cheerz,
    John

Blog Entries

Dave,

Two questions:

Q1: Can you provide me with what you know a .QBO file is?
    R1:

Q2: Can a .QBO file be exported to .CSV?
    R2:

Quote Originally Posted by jcgriggs View Post
    It looks like QB can also import transactions from a CSV (comma separated values) file and that the QBO files can be converted to this format - perhaps give that a try? I don't use QB, so I have no idea what your chances are but it seems worth a shot if the conversion process is not too onerous.

Cheerz,
    John
    What I've learned is that CSV import won't work for transactions, only for other kinds of lists (vendors, accounts, items, etc.). The answer for importing transactions seems to be to IIF. The problem is that IIF files must be created from other file types (like CSV), and there's a lot of work that goes into that. I'm playing with a utility that does that, but it's not going perfectly just yet.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Two questions:

Q1: Can you provide me with what you know a .QBO file is?
    R1:

Q2: Can a .QBO file be exported to .CSV?
    R2:
    R1: QBO is the Quickbooks standard downloadable "online banking" file format. The problem is that when Quickbooks sees a QBO file, it throws up the sunset flag, prompting something like "QB can't confirm your bank." So far as I can tell, only QB versions that are less than three years old will allow any kind of QBO importing.

R2: I don't know. But that does not appear to be a useful path forward, as CSV files can't be directly used to import transactions into QB; only other types of lists.

I wrote to a guy who makes a zillion banking conversion utilities (Propersoft), and he suggests trying his CSV2IIF converter. Fortunately, it appears that most banks allow downloading of CSV files (a spreadsheet format) for transactions. I'm having trouble with the transaction type mapping, though. The imported transactions all show as "TRNSF", regardless of if they're an electronic payment or a check or a credit card charge...

We're still in dialogue.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    R1: QBO is the Quickbooks standard downloadable "online banking" file format. The problem is that when Quickbooks sees a QBO file, it throws up the sunset flag, prompting something like "QB can't confirm your bank." So far as I can tell, only QB versions that are less than three years old will allow any kind of QBO importing.

R2: I don't know. But that does not appear to be a useful path forward, as CSV files can't be directly used to import transactions into QB; only other types of lists.

I wrote to a guy who makes a zillion banking conversion utilities (Propersoft), and he suggests trying his CSV2IIF converter. Fortunately, it appears that most banks allow downloading of CSV files (a spreadsheet format) for transactions. I'm having trouble with the transaction type mapping, though. The imported transactions all show as "TRNSF", regardless of if they're an electronic payment or a check or a credit card charge...

We're still in dialogue.
    (off dialog).... I recently got a "Critical Update" to latest Quicken (business) and wonder if it's part of this "Sunset" policy... in other words, what else are they taking out of it! The reason I mention it is because - there seems to have been a flury of negative remarks about the direction/stability/security of new Quicken products interfacing with bank downloads. Hence, I only download CSV files separately, but am still in question about this "Mandatory Critical Update". When they say "Mandatory" I also question their motive.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    (off dialog).... I recently got a "Critical Update" to latest Quicken (business) and wonder if it's part of this "Sunset" policy... in other words, what else are they taking out of it! The reason I mention it is because - there seems to have been a flury of negative remarks about the direction/stability/security of new Quicken products interfacing with bank downloads. Hence, I only download CSV files separately, but am still in question about this "Mandatory Critical Update". When they say "Mandatory" I also question their motive.
    Carl, are you alluding to the possibility that their latest update may sever the bank transaction import ability that you depend on? Sounds like a good, cautious tack to me.

Curious: what do you use CSV file downloading for, specifically?
    Becket, Massachusetts